This is a board for topics that don't fit on other boards, but that are still otaku/hobby related.
Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, EPUB, GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 2129 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 153187089899.png - (412.16KB , 429x449 , 1530523243570.png )
31684 No. 31684 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I've spent a lot of time on different forums and boards. Even been a part of my fair share of real life groups, teams and whatnot. There's one thing that irks me to no end - whatever the group, whatever the forum, there's always one or two people that seem to absolutely hate and detest me from the get-go. Whatever I try to do to appease them just furthers their disdain (as does distancing myself from them or ignoring them).
The thing is, I'm a decently amiable person. I go out of my way to find common ground with nearly everyone and it usually works. Usually. Even if I don't get the person to like me, I can at least be on friendly terms with almost everyone. Almost.

Yes there's that 'haters gonna hate' stuff. It doesn't help. I don't know if these people sniff vulnerabilities out or if I'm just making a major faux pax everwhere I go. Maybe it's just some cruel joke. I just don't know or even understand. Yet, I'll put on a tough face whenever this happens and say "pfft, whatever..." but it still hurts every time.

Having to navigate through life like this is so very frustrating.

Now then. Can anyone relate to any of this and maybe share some much needed armchair counseling?
>> No. 31685 [Edit]
>I'm a decently amiable person
If you think you're an amiable person, it's possible you're not. Specially the way you wrote it tells me you are not particularly introspective. I'm not saying you're wrong, but rather that an amiable person would hardly fail at such task.
>or if I'm just making a major faux pax everwhere I go
Seems quite likely.
>maybe share some much needed armchair counseling?
I think the issue may boil down to "lurk more". For example, despite it's not a big deal (imho), I found odd you chose a 3D reaction picture on a site that's particularly adamant about using 2D ones, and it's not like there aren't dozens of 2D reactions that could fit the theme or feeling of your post. Point being that if you're new, you put little effort in lurking, learning and adapting here... and if you aren't new, then you made an odd or (relatively) unfitting conscious choice. That enough might suffice for someone here to detest you from the get-go.

Good luck.
>> No. 31687 [Edit]
>>31685
this seems like a pretty good analysis of the situation to me, i don't think i could have posted a better reply than that.
> I found odd you chose a 3D reaction picture on a site that's particularly adamant about using 2D ones
he also made an effort to reference his 3dpd social life, this is really more of an /so/ thread if it belongs anywhere on /tc/
>> No. 31690 [Edit]
Who gives a shit? You can't please everyone. Don't get hung up on things like that.

But at the same time, maybe have some self-reflection -- are you socially awkward or something? Or is the problem with the other people? After all, there can be some weird people on forums.
>> No. 31691 [Edit]
>>31684
Well you made two faux pas in your post here. People don't like "reaction images" from that other imageboard, and the material of this post is more suited for /so/ than /ot/.

You're also demonstrating that you have a somewhat self-absorbed worldview (which is nothing new for tohno-chan but still): you believe that everyone should like you.

Honestly though, you probably just rub people the wrong way. Maybe your "amiable" personality comes off as a facade; I know people like that. You can tell when someone is genuinely being kind, and when they're putting on an act to ingratiate themselves with you. I'm not fond of such behavior myself. It seems like you do that a lot - By trying to find "common ground" with people, you probably distance them even more because you seem disingenuous.

Some also dislike outsiders by nature, not everyone is welcoming, which can't be helped.

This isn't really criticism, though it might come across that way. I don't know you. This is all inferred from a single post on an imageboard. I could be wrong, I don't have all the information.

Even on the internet (especially in this day and age where so much of our social interaction is done through it) being treated poorly by others is painful. We all have our methods to handle the immense pain of co-existing with others. You'll be okay, just try to understand that not everyone has to like you simply because you aren't an asshole.

File 153144862129.png - (3.72KB , 420x420 , comfy.png )
31659 No. 31659 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Is it weird to have your laptop like this in bed? Like before you go to sleep or something. Not a great drawing but I'm drunk and not an artist either.
1 post omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31661 [Edit]
It's one the primary ways I use my laptop.
>> No. 31662 [Edit]
While I didn't have a desktop I did this a lot.
>> No. 31666 [Edit]
Before I had a tablet I used to use my laptop in bed before I went to sleep and before I stood up in the morning but I was laying in my belly.
I find it very uncomfortable to lay on the back, my arms get tired or my neck hurts when I use a laptop, a phone or a tablet.
>> No. 31689 [Edit]
This doesn't hurt your neck at all?

File 152943974985.png - (169.81KB , 750x750 , 1514515602818.png )
31635 No. 31635 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
A lot of people talk about visiting Japan, but if you had the option to full on move there, would you do it?
7 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31682 [Edit]
I see two benefits to moving to Japan. Firstly, because of my continual exposure of it through media, Japan makes me feel comfortable. Secondly, I can fully cut myself off from my family. Once I have enough money, I'm going to move out and never talk to my family again. I'm not obligated to stay anywhere, so I might as well live in Japan. I'm already learning Japanese because of hentai and I'm already in Asia, so moving to Japan won't be a big culture shock.
>> No. 31683 [Edit]
I do consider moving to Japan in a few years.
The main problem is that Japan isn't very immigrant friendly. To move there you basically need to find a job before you go there or marry a Japanese woman.
They only want people that pay taxes.

But learning Japanese is a good first step.
>> No. 31686 [Edit]
Serious question, is it really that you like Japan that much, or is it more that you just dislike your current living situation and you want to escape?
>> No. 31688 [Edit]
>>31686
It's both. I do not like my current living situation, and I want to escape. When that time comes, it'll be when I have enough to move where I want. Since I can move anywhere, I might as well pick the country that I feel the most comfortable.

File 145716886451.jpg - (101.22KB , 1280x720 , [Mori] Dagashi Kashi - 07 [4E442887]_mkv_snapshot_.jpg )
28436 No. 28436 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [First 100 posts] [Last 50 posts]
Lets play a bit of a game.

Say the first word that comes to mind when you see the previous post's word.

"Start"
318 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31664 [Edit]
irony
>> No. 31667 [Edit]
cereal
>> No. 31670 [Edit]
Tony
>> No. 31680 [Edit]
Tourettes

File 146576035742.jpg - (54.69KB , 636x358 , eDyXpSR.jpg )
29121 No. 29121 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Do you guys enjoy any non-anime shows?
43 posts and 4 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31014 [Edit]
I enjoy quite a bit of cartoon series, and few live action series/movies. I've never posted about such shows here, because this isn't exactly the place for that I don't believe.
>> No. 31440 [Edit]
>>29121
I like watching martial arts movies and "adult" cartoons (the Simpsons, Family Guy, King Of The Hill, etc. ) and cartoons and shows I used to like as a kid
>> No. 31591 [Edit]
I did enjoy some series but the pc-ness has driven me away, I really hate seeing shows with potential going to shit because they need to push their agenda everywhere.
>> No. 31679 [Edit]
For non 2D media, I mostly only watch Game of Thrones and the Marvel movies. I'll occasionally watch some highly acclaimed movies like Memento. My experience with all non 2D media is generally the same. Because of my inability to connect emotionally with 3D people, the main draw of live action media is the plot. A show like Game of Thrones has a lot of moving pieces, and it's interesting to see where they go and how they fall into place. I'm mainly a slice of life guy, so watching something with an engaging plot like Game of Thrones or Memento is a nice change of pace. However as I said earlier, I can't form any emotional connections with 3D people so moments like the Red Wedding don't have their intended emotional impact on me.

File
Removed
No. 31671 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
do you still watch anime?
>> No. 31672 [Edit]
Still? Been watching it for years and don't see myself stopping. Still plenty of stuff I have in queue to watch.
>> No. 31673 [Edit]
Yup, but I do find myself struggling to keep up with currently airing stuff more and more each season. At the time of posting this I still haven't started a single anime from the current season and while I did get in 3ep today I'm still very behind on most of the shows I have picked up.
>> No. 31674 [Edit]
File 153171914030.png - (1.68MB , 702x526 , [Judgment] Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - 22 [401D3EED].png )
31674
I can't imagine stopping, there's so many series I want to see. The amount I watch varies because of other hobbies, but I do really love it.
>> No. 31678 [Edit]
I still watch anime, but much less than when I first got into it. I still love anime, but I'm not reliant on it for happiness anymore. Now, it's just a thing I like. Also, I mainly watch slice of life now, and it's hard for me to digest more than a couple episodes of SoL at a time despite liking it a lot.

File 153164793912.jpg - (2.14MB , 1920x1080 , 663620473752a1b0ef77108417f9788f.jpg )
31665 No. 31665 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What have you read lately TC?
>> No. 31669 [Edit]
Recently:
No Longer Human
The Doors of Perception
Animal Farm
Propaganda
Society of the Spectacle
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media
Walden
Beyond Good and Evil
Can Life Prevail?
The Ego and Its Own
Technological Slavery

Planning on reading something by Slavoj Zizek soon. I would've gotten The Sublime Object of Ideology, but they only had paperback versions on Amazon, no e-books. Any other suggestions by him (or other similar writers/thinkers)? I'm a big fan of Pentti Linkola too, and Uncle Ted had some good criticisms about modern life too, but anprim is a load of shit in my opinion. Just some impossibly idealist neoluddite stuff. But Linkola is more pragmatic, despite his edgy worldview. Walden is interesting, but I think Thoreau's attitude of just opting out instead of trying to fix things is kind of a cop-out. But for some people, that's preferable, since many obstacles seem insurmountable. Animal Farm reminds me of a lot of reactionary stuff that's happening now. Propaganda was interesting because I think a lot of Bernays' techniques are still being used to this day, but with added technology (social media instead of radio or newspapers, for example).

Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 31675 [Edit]
I've been reading the Raildex series (and a few other LN series) and Lolita. Not entirely related, but I really love the feeling that image gives off.
>> No. 31677 [Edit]
Just read The end of eternity.
Interesting little book, I found the first chapter confusing as hell however and it felt like gibberish until I got a handle on the concepts. The book is about a secret organization called Eternity which uses time travel to change and alter the course of human history along with reality for the overall betterment of mankind across the many millennia.
It's not what I'd call bad book but I'm not too crazy about the ending. Seems just as things start to get really interesting it dumps the message of the book and ends somewhat abruptly.

That message being that safety and comfort will lead humanity to stagnation and eventually a slow death. Where as hardship and struggle are necessary for the true betterment of mankind to drive and motivate humans to reach their potential.

Unfortunately this message isn't something the main character slowly comes to learn but is instead trusted upon him in an exchange that honestly kind of makes the main character feel like a complete tool, which is something he complains about moments before, almost as if to say he hasn't changed at all.

File 140707601054.jpg - (421.19KB , 2000x2000 , 1407070987054.jpg )
24746 No. 24746 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [First 100 posts] [Last 50 posts]
Because the last thread, http://tohno-chan.com/ot/res/15686.html, is now on auto sage.
354 posts and 294 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31646 [Edit]
File 153040682183.jpg - (208.92KB , 1024x768 , 4553229c518debe094d39f8a912b3cd15353f8da2.jpg )
31646
>> No. 31656 [Edit]
File 153119184869.png - (842.39KB , 811x635 , localizer's nightmare.png )
31656
>> No. 31658 [Edit]
File 153137685721.png - (1.69MB , 1000x1412 , pizzachan.png )
31658
>> No. 31668 [Edit]
File 153168161052.jpg - (101.42KB , 599x846 , ohsdf.jpg )
31668

File 132010033174.jpg - (650.36KB , 1200x1531 , 18f6bbb82d9aeb721db77cdf643ede78.jpg )
11220 No. 11220 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [First 100 posts] [Last 50 posts]
They say you learn something new every day. Let's see if that statement is true!

ITT post something new you learned today. Trivia knowledge is more than welcome.
423 posts and 40 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 28165 [Edit]
I learnt the difference between noir and neo-noir.

Noir was heavily dependent on the era it was released in. It was a time when overt sex and violence was forbidden in film and technological limitations prevented the presence of colour however it was these very restrictions that caused noir to have the impact that it did. With those restrictions lifted, violence and sex have to be much more overt to have the same emotional impact on today's desensitised audience than what was necessary for the audiences of the '40s.

Neo-noir is an attempt to create the same impact that noir did despite the technological and cultural changes that have occurred since the '40s. Some believe that noir to be an inimitable cultural phenomenon that will only ever exist within the bubble of time that was present during its creation. Others have continued to experiment with the neo-noir genre and prove otherwise.

Personally, after watching Chinatown, I can safely say that I don't get it. I'll probably need to watch it again to get it though. Preferably with subs since I seemed to have missed most of the dialogue.
>> No. 28167 [Edit]
Yesterday I learned that x64 Windows has only one HAL.DLL, because the x86_64 is so standardized that there's little configuring OEMs can do. x86 versions of Windows have a few HAL.DLLs for the inclusion or absence of stuff like APIC.

Today I learned there are 100% Animal Crossing speedruns. They average for 70 hours but the world record is 63 hours. And the runners don't take breaks.
>> No. 28921 [Edit]
It used to be that if you google 241543903 you get images of people sticking their heads in a freezer. Now googling 241543903 brings up images instructing people to google 241543903 to see images of people's heads in freezers.
>> No. 31657 [Edit]
I finally found something that explains in laymens terms why we consider time the 4th dimension, what a dimension really is, and what the dimensions 0-10 are. A dimension is really a way of measuring the location of something along a certain axis of displacement.

File 132644911135.jpg - (2.89MB , 2502x3500 , d46191e6482739ee0b4b3e6987e38b9c.jpg )
12292 No. 12292 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [First 100 posts] [Last 50 posts]
what are some things that really bug you?
things that genuinely piss you off?

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to vent about any little annoyance, no mater how big or small.
Any and all complains about the world around you are welcome here!
644 posts and 36 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31649 [Edit]
The close mindedness and stupidity of Americans and the west. Some European countries are cool, but I just really fucking hate the US. There are so many shitty things they've done throughout history that they either think was a good thing, or they just don't know about it. I hate how they actually believe that the US is the best country of all time, and how they still think the world sees them as the good guys. They also fear when a different country starts to rise up in power and ALWAYS feel the need to put a stop to them before it's too late. Every single country the US gets it's hands on, they fucking ruin it! And I haven't even mentioned American culture! The youth thinks its so cool to be bad, to do drugs, to steal, ect. and the media they consume does nothing but fuel this belief. It's pretty much why I watch anime, because I can't stand American entertainment. Their most popular tv shows is garbage like "It's always sunny in Philadelhphia", and their cartoons (while some decent) is for the most part just crap made to squeeze as much money as possible! When I watch anime, I feel for these characters. I cry with them, I laugh with them, but this does not happen with garbage like... Family Guy. A bunch of pop references and fart jokes is enough to make every 12 year old piss their pants and think Family Guy is in any way a "clever" show. Bottom line is, FUCK Americans!
>> No. 31650 [Edit]
>>31649
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome
grass is always greener etc
>> No. 31652 [Edit]
>>31650
Yes yes I know. Grass is always greener on the other side. No country is perfect. Every country has its flaws, but come on! Everything I said about the US is true!
>> No. 31653 [Edit]
>>31649
While I'm not going to go defending each and every action the american government has taken in its past, nor will I defend "culture", I will defend the principles america was founded on, which I truly believe to be a good basis for government. Of course, the current state of it is not ideal. One great thing about it is, each state has its own laws and regulations, allowing for a lot of variance throughout the country. Of course, the federal government has been ever growing throughout the last 100-150 years, and corruption is not unheard of. Mass media culture is of course horrible and only has a negative influence, but where isn't it? I don't think that culture properly reflects every single person living in any country, be it America or whatever other place. I live there, and I don't hate it where I am, although it would be better to live in a place with less people. Cities are usually garbage with some exceptions that I do like a bit.

Post edited on 2nd Jul 2018, 5:53pm

File 152178712577.jpg - (200.18KB , 1920x1080 , [HorribleSubs] Animegataris - 12 [1080p]_mkv_snaps.jpg )
31471 No. 31471 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Do you guys hide your weeb stuff or other possibility embarrassing things? Say for example a relative is coming to visit, or maybe there's stuff you don't want anyone to see in general?
1 post and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31473 [Edit]
Nobody comes in my room anyway, so nope...
>> No. 31597 [Edit]
I don't hide the weeb stuff (my family knows what I am) but I do clean up. I don't want them to see anything near how messy and filthy it usually is because I was extremely tidy when I lived at home. Now my apartment looks like one of those news reports about hikkis.
>> No. 31648 [Edit]
No, I don't hide it, and I don't like it when people hide it. Everyone is allowed to show what they like, so why should it be any different to us? As the guy above me said though, I do clean my room when someone is going to visit, because it's usually very messy.
>> No. 31651 [Edit]
I don't have any. If you're embarrassed to have something, why have it at all?

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
Previous [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]