This is a board for topics that don't fit on other boards, but that are still otaku/hobby related.
Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, EPUB, GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 2232 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 152178712577.jpg - (200.18KB , 1920x1080 , [HorribleSubs] Animegataris - 12 [1080p]_mkv_snaps.jpg )
31471 No. 31471 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Do you guys hide your weeb stuff or other possibility embarrassing things? Say for example a relative is coming to visit, or maybe there's stuff you don't want anyone to see in general?
2 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31597 [Edit]
I don't hide the weeb stuff (my family knows what I am) but I do clean up. I don't want them to see anything near how messy and filthy it usually is because I was extremely tidy when I lived at home. Now my apartment looks like one of those news reports about hikkis.
>> No. 31648 [Edit]
No, I don't hide it, and I don't like it when people hide it. Everyone is allowed to show what they like, so why should it be any different to us? As the guy above me said though, I do clean my room when someone is going to visit, because it's usually very messy.
>> No. 31651 [Edit]
I don't have any. If you're embarrassed to have something, why have it at all?
>> No. 31694 [Edit]
>>31648
I like cuddling Ren-chon when I sleep, but I don't want anyone else to know that.

File 152963376791.jpg - (37.42KB , 930x523 , phone.jpg )
31640 No. 31640 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
People think tech is getting better. CPUs are faster, storage is cheaper, internet connections are faster. But I think it's getting worse.

I feel like the internet has lost its charm. It used to have a magical, positive, wild-west feel to it. Now it seems so commercialized, and you also have to be careful about what you post, since there's always a new flavor-of-the-month outrage issue.

Every site tracks you. Privacy is dead. You're expect to put more and more info online, yet there are tons of huge data breaches all the time.

If you post something that isn't politically correct, even if it's really mild, there are people who will try to doxx you, swat you, get you fired, publicly shamed, and so on. Twitter is especially bad about this. You can make an off-hand comment once and then a legion of angry people will try to ruin your entire life.

Everything is increasingly politicized now too. And now people who are at any political extreme will say shit like "everything is political" and "ignoring issues is tone deaf" so they're trying to convert neutral people to one side or another. The whole "you're either with us or against us" mentality is bullshit, but it's more pervasive than ever before.

But not just that, the internet is everywhere. It's not just confined to desktops and computer rooms. People are always on their phones. If you do or say something someone doesn't like, they can instantly record you and put it online, getting their followers to harass you.

But even aside from people harassing you, I just hate how everything gets posted online. You hang out with someone, then they take a selfie and you're in the background so your picture is online. Instantly. Maybe I don't like the way I looked at that particular moment. Maybe I don't want everyone knowing where I am and what I'm doing. But photo etiquette has shifted from it being rude to taking photos of people to being rude if you object to having your photo taken. It's like people think that you can't just hang out or go somewhere without documenting proof that you did it. People are creating their own dossiers. The NSA doesn't even need to exist. People are willingly posting all the intimate details of their
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 31642 [Edit]
Plenty of good observations there. One thing I can say for sure is that social media, in any form, is not to be used, and ignored for good. Social media is causing politics to be shoehorned into so many things, it's the reason that mindset you mentioned is so common. It's all absolute bullshit, and people don't realize that. It's only people with strong opinons, thinking they are important, and others believing them. Combine that with constant access to a stream of bs (from phones) and the reach is as wide as ever. Computers and phones are definitely neat pieces of technology, never before could you do most basic things on a computer you can take everywhere in your pocket, but man the way they are used is just so stupid a lot of the time. The thing with people posting every bit of their lives online, though, is that if you don't use those social media platforms, you aren't going to notice people are doing it. Of course I notice while out that everyone is practically glued to their screens, but I don't see any of it so it's not something that crosses my mind much. I remember back in high school, when this sort of thing began with people, as more and more people had smart phones. I believe this behavior is most easily found in schools, or colleges. After I finished, however, I didn't have to observe them any longer. After that time I noticed a lot less of the online whore mentality. Thankfully, it is all voluntary. Thankfully, not everyone needs confirmation from their peers over little thing they do. If only it were a little less common.
>> No. 31644 [Edit]
It's a massive problem.

The companies in charge of these technologies make it so their product is as addictive as possible. Facebook is a particularly egregious example, utilizing the "Like" button to give users a sort of Pavlovian response to the everyday minutiae they're constantly posting, so they'll constantly use the service because of how good getting likes on their posts feel. It perpetuates a culture of narcissism, and (as we have seen with the hanky panky going on in the US) it also has an impact on political systems.

China, with their "social credit" system is an example of how bad things can get. The idea that you are going to be refused certain civic services based on what you say about the "socialist market economy" or the government on the web is actually dystopian.

They are literally getting people addicted to social media and there's zero accountability. You can't exactly blame the user when the company is using psychological manipulation to make them behave a certain way. It's having a highly negative impact on the world. The internet has merged with reality, which is something that should have never happened.

In addition to ALL of that, these same companies are taking data on the user and abusing that privilege for the sake of targeted advertisements, with no regard for what they're actually advertising, who exactly is behind the product they're advertising, or how shitty it makes their website look. It's all about the bottom line, which is money and control (so they can keep making money). They just don't care about the masses, very few people in the position to make life easier for us lesser folk do.

The pace at which we consume information has grown out of control. The most depressing fact is that it's a Pandora's box - It cannot be stopped at this point, this trend will continue and probably grow worse, until the decline of civilization and may very well be the cause of it.

I'm no Luddite by the way: I absolutely love the internet. It's a wonderful and nearly magical thing. However, I don't think we use the internet anymore, we abuse it and that fact is, in turn, being abused by the powers that be for the sake of money and social c
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.

File 152907731762.jpg - (105.63KB , 1010x642 , C2JkTqfXUAI9A2P.jpg )
31631 No. 31631 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I was playing overwatch on voice chat and someone started calling everyone over where he was to look at something. There's nothing there but on his end apparently two characters clipped into each other and froze mid air or something so I'm watching this guy freaking out at nothing and expecting a reaction from the rest of the team until we tell him we can't see it. We move on but the concept sticks with me. Has there ever been a virtual reality story that's had literal physical differences in how different players will view reality? You're playing the same game but are you really? In online play you always see it in these little things like how people will only see certain bushes if they have their graphic settings high enough. If an online game is your whole world though it'd be fucking your perception of the world. A dead team mate could be floating by you, only by you and people would think you're crazy. You might be the only one who can't see a sunset your party is in awe of. Even though I kind of hate dystopian cyber stories I like this idea that in the future resources like good food and shelter are cheap enough that all their money is spent on getting the highest tier computer because mmo's are blowing up and that's where you see the economic difference between people. There's not some enforced hierarchy between the rich and poor. There's no longer a strong IRL difference between classes but they literally see different worlds. People build communities around what they specifically see or don't see and that creates a culture divide out of superiority and salt.
What are some game mechanics that still haven't been touched on in fiction?
>> No. 31632 [Edit]
it's not a VR game but dead space 3's co-op mode worked like that, showing player one things player two couldn't see and vice versa. I remember it was one of the very few things people universally liked about that game
>> No. 31634 [Edit]
>>31631
Phillip K. Dick is pretty cool.

File 143622479334.jpg - (766.87KB , 2048x1536 , qzlHsCS.jpg )
27208 No. 27208 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [First 100 posts] [Last 50 posts]
The old one has been on autosage for a long ass time, guys. Make a new one already. Old thread: >>24879
798 posts and 155 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31628 [Edit]
>>31627
Focusing on getting a dream job is pointless. Just start working now, whatever works, focus on jobs that will let you slack a bit even if you get paid a bit less. Minimum wage is high in many places now anyway. Live a lifestyle with as little expenses as possible, save all you can. Maybe in a few years after you've saved a decent amount you can buy a small house in a rural area (real cheap, buy in full), and cut back working after that for a while or go part time. That way you're never busting your ass at a shitty job, and you'll have something to work towards. That's what I hope works out in my case at least. I can very much relate to those thoughts and would certainly do the same myself if I could. Never is pleasant being and living around so many people, a life of peace quiet solitude is the only thing I want.

Post edited on 14th Jun 2018, 4:48pm
>> No. 31629 [Edit]
>>31627
>my dreams and aspirations
>I'm too prideful
>I'd probably get really bored
You'll never be NEET with this attitude.
>> No. 31630 [Edit]
>>31628
I mentioned in >>31616 that I already have a shitty minimum wage job that pays 14hr. I fucking hate it, I'd rather die than live this lifestyle of the terrible 9-5 grind.

Part time however, that's actually not a bad idea. I can live with such a thing if the hours aren't unbearably long like a full time position just in case my plans don't work out.
>> No. 31633 [Edit]
Yes but also in general.
It's not so much the waste of time but the lack of willpower that makes me not fulfill my personal and given goals.

File 151520432343.jpg - (77.16KB , 1280x720 , [HorribleSubs] Yuru Camp - 01 [720p]_mkv_snapshot_.jpg )
31267 No. 31267 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Why did Kotatsu never take off outside of Japan?
3 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31274 [Edit]
Usually you'd pack away the other table and then bring out the kotatsu.
In the West tables weren't designed to be packed away.
>> No. 31279 [Edit]
>>31272
>they're only as good as the house is bad?
Sorry, I worded my post badly. I meant that it's a cultural thing more than an architectural one. The things I listed is why kotatsu are popular in Japan, which comes down to lack of other forms of either heating or keeping the house insulated.
>> No. 31281 [Edit]
Maybe its not too late for the kotatsu to catch hold in the west, but I doubt it. Imagine some big western slob steps in dogshit on the way home and walks into his house without taking his shoes off then sits at kotatsu.
>> No. 31622 [Edit]
buildings in the north are properly insulated or have a fireplace

File 131178014560.jpg - (42.05KB , 400x580 , jisatsu-saakuru-suicide-circle_html.jpg )
9442 No. 9442 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [First 100 posts] [Last 50 posts]
I don't think we had a movie thread yet so I wanted to ask, does /tc/ watch movies? What was the last one you saw? Have any good recommendations or favorite genres? Do you like american, european or asian cinema?
237 posts and 76 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 28558 [Edit]
Is it just me or do the MCU movies feel less like 'movies' and more like big budget tv episodes of a long running series?
>> No. 29599 [Edit]
File 147599555958.jpg - (134.87KB , 600x380 , goemon5.jpg )
29599
Two Japanese films I've seen are 'Goemon' and 'Dai Nipponjin'.

'Goemon' is a fun and well-done film to watch, background is Goemon is Japanese Robin Hood.
'Dai Nipponjin' is interesting, what I took from it is it's a film about the degradation Capitalism and the post-war period has done to Japan and the Japanese people. In particular, making them weak and greedy.
>> No. 31605 [Edit]
File 15272934539.jpg - (33.35KB , 1024x576 , Evacuation-of-DQar.jpg )
31605
I find it a tad bit weird and slightly annoying how people keep treating the bombers in The Last Jedi like some sort of mistake. The common complaint is that bombs wold not be able to fall onto the target because there is no gravity in space. It's a shitty movie and I don't give much of a crap about starwars, but this is dead wrong and clearly so.
Maybe it's because I'm complete fucking brain damaged retarded moron, but the way these bombers work makes perfect sense to me, and I can't understand why no one else sees it.
An object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. There's nothing stopping these bombs that are being ejected from the ship. As soon as they leave the ship they're being propelled by their own momentum -not gravity- . It's so simple to me but somehow everyone seems to fail to understand this. The reason the bombs fall while in the ship is because there's artificial gravity in the ship, it's what keeps people's feet on the ground, it's how that remote to release the bombs fell and was almost missed. Gravity inside of the ship pulled the bombs down towards the exposed bottom and momentum carries them the rest of the way. Did people expect the bombs to just stop the moment they left the ship or something?
Besides, the ship they were attacking was so massive that it might have had it's own faint gravitational pull anyway.
>> No. 31606 [Edit]
>>9741
I've watched a ton of Sion Sono movies this past month. They're all really enjoyable, in one way or another. I think the ones I disliked the most were Exte and Strange Circus. Exte was kind of boring and the twist/ending to Strange Circus actually felt kind of anticlimactic.

His best one was Cold Fish imo. That movie was scary as hell, and I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for horror. He said he wanted to depict "a feeling of complete hopelessness" and I felt that in the movie. It's chilling. I highly recommend it if you like horror/psychological stuff.

I also absolutely loved Love Exposure, it doesn't feel like a 4 hour movie.

His movies are just different.

File 152075961459.jpg - (47.46KB , 800x450 , o0800045013268415062.jpg )
31444 No. 31444 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What's your living situation like? Do you live with the folks, rent an apartment, or what?
28 posts and 11 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31532 [Edit]
>>31530
Why would you live in a city? It would cost a fraction to buy a small house in a rural area.
>> No. 31550 [Edit]
Currently live in an apartment with 3 roommates in a medium-sized US city. It's not so bad, they're all pretty chill and I get a private bedroom to myself which is really all I need in life.
>> No. 31554 [Edit]
>>31444
>What's your living situation like?
I live in a small two bedroom house, with a decent sized yard in a shitty small rural town.

>Do you live with the folks, rent an apartment, or what?
I barely get anything to live off of but I do have a roommate who has taken me in in exchange of the little bit I do get and some help around the house. Mowing grass, housework, etc. But it's a rental.
>> No. 31604 [Edit]
>>31554
That sounds like a pretty neat arrangement. How do you like it?

File 152599666249.jpg - (183.97KB , 1326x912 , minitokyo-fruits-basket-152815.jpg )
31572 No. 31572 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
my current torrent stats
ratio 0.93
total downloads: 674.12 GB

I've downloaded about 47gigs more than I've uploaded. Thats like 8 whole seasons of anime I've gotten off you people for free.
>> No. 31595 [Edit]
Your ratio is sub-standard. You can definitely do better than that...
>> No. 31596 [Edit]
I only use XDCC for downloads so I've download everything more than I've uploaded.
>> No. 31602 [Edit]
>>31595
i try to keep my ration under 1 at all times, that way i never feel like i'm being taken advantage of. still hanging at 0.93 now with 678.06 GB downloaded, so apparently i consumed 3.94GB of anime over the past 12 days. 328 megs or roughly one ep in 720 per day
>> No. 31615 [Edit]
File 152848845690.jpg - (20.53KB , 240x58 , small example.jpg )
31615
Whenever I get something that I know won't have that many seeds, I try to do my part as I know what its like to be unable to obtain something you want.

I'm grateful for those that have shared and want to help as many as I can if I can.

I'm only posting this small example because I'm not sure how to find out my total ratio on Deluge. Orz

File 151641183288.jpg - (254.86KB , 1024x768 , observatory.jpg )
31344 No. 31344 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Do you know any nice places to visit in Japan?
Especially anime related places.

I plan to go to Japan this year and try to find some less touristy places to go to.
The thread will most likely still be up so I can post some pictures I make.

Does any one recognize the place in this picture?
5 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 31351 [Edit]
File 151641458262.jpg - (60.30KB , 800x450 , 1485129547105.jpg )
31351
>>31346
>Funfact Yui walks 20 km to school because the train station on her way to school is in Kyoto.
This is one of the best things about pilgrimages. You really get a feel of the geography.
Finding out that this place is a few steps away from Konata's house was pretty great.
>> No. 31356 [Edit]
>>31346
>Funfact Yui walks 20 km to school
That's insane; this can't be true. Considering her size and age, it should take her 4-5 hours to get there, round trip.
>> No. 31360 [Edit]
File 151666184746.jpg - (632.75KB , 1920x1280 , 20170408013516_IMG_2252.jpg )
31360
>>31345
>Yes. Go to Kyoto or Nara. Get your ass out of the city. Don't spend more than a few days in Tokyo (make sure to spend a couple of hours at Akasaka and the imperial gardens, but otherwise avoid the concrete jungle, it is basically like any other big city in the West just in Japanese and with a lot more people crowding the place), the rest of Japan has a lot more character.
We plan to stay at last a week in the Kyoto area and get a 14 day railpass to visit some more remote places.
I have never been in any city outside of Europe, I don't know how much I'll like Toyko but I'm not a fan of big cities anyway.

>>31347
>https://anime-tourism.jp/. This is what you're looking for.

This one is nice. I don't recognise most places though.

>Have only been to the various Lucky Star locations in Saitama and Ooarai (twice) so far. First is a little bit depressing since you can see how its popularity is fading (quite literally, the flags in Satte or whatever you call them almost have no color anymore), second is still going well (they really know how to promote it).

The Lucky Star locations are a bit remote but I hope I can find time for it.

Ooari is from that one Girls and Panzer Episode?
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 31600 [Edit]
>>31360
>>>/pic/6677
Images are up

File 152677066753.jpg - (97.09KB , 1280x720 , [HorribleSubs] Slow Start - 07 [720p]_mkv_snapshot.jpg )
31592 No. 31592 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Why can't 3DPD like cute hair accessories like ribbons and bows and stuff?
>> No. 31593 [Edit]
>>31592
The issue with this thread is that nobody can give a proper rebuttal, because that would require breaking the no posting 3DPD rule. I myself have seen plenty 3DPDs of which I've thought "That's a nice <insert hair accessory>" around here. Already discussed here: http://tohno-chan.com/an/res/30465.html#30830
>> No. 31594 [Edit]
If you live on turd island, people there usually look like turds.

File 152605930769.jpg - (167.83KB , 850x614 , 1504142609573.jpg )
31573 No. 31573 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
How old are you and what do you think the minimum age rule should be on here if there was one?
>> No. 31574 [Edit]
i am a cute little anime girl
>> No. 31576 [Edit]
No idea, don't see how it matters
>> No. 31577 [Edit]
18+ to view /ns/
>> No. 31587 [Edit]
I am a small loli catgirl, only 9 years old. Please do not bully me!

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]