This is a board for topics that don't fit on other boards, but that are still otaku/hobby related.
Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, EPUB, GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3340 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 157047477798.png - (11.11KB , 450x450 , Fractal Practice.png )
33425 No. 33425 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
This is a theory that the particles of the universe have no lower size limit, and instead shrink relative to us into infinity, in the course of their shrinking eventually recreating every possible shape and action that is possible. Within each infinitesimally small portion of the universe exists an infinite number of increasingly smaller universes, some the same, some different, from the larger universes. Furthermore, we, as entities, only exist somewhere in this infinitely large and small chain of fractal patterns, and if we could see the universe with a bigger scope would realize that it too merely exists within the folds of larger universes. In fact, if one could shrink oneself, one would be able to travel to any point in time through the identical fractal universes that exist within the folds of reality. So too do we exist in infinite repetition in the folds of the fractal pattern, and are merely one instance of ourselves, all within this singular physical universe.
8 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 33450 [Edit]
anyone who thinks that they can suss out the nature of everything just by been incredibly clever is clearly mistaken and falling into the trap of thinking that modern academic science has any validity and using the conventional wisdom as presented by ye olde wise men of academia as a basis for comparison.
academics are just charlatans who make a living by putting on an act that they somehow have greater knowledge than anyone else.
humanity has been falling for this bullshit for millennia, it used to be called a religion, but now its ye olde wise men of academia who are the gatekeepers of the truth as they define it and the general public accepts it. its all a big shell game and it's purpose is to control public opinion and maintain the status quo rather than human progress. you can't play in those people's games, the cards are stacked against you, so don't waste your time trying to be ye olde wise men of academia. those people got to where they are by playing neurotypical office politics and having daddy buy them entry into harvard, they're not actually the reasonable individuals they pretended to be, they're greedy liars who attain status the sleazy way and they pretend they earned it through some admirable effort.
if those people really were as intelligent and capable as they say they are then science and technology would be advancing at a rapid pace instead of stagnating. most of academia is just people who thought they'd "look smart in a lab coat" or some other stupid bullshit
>> No. 33451 [Edit]
>>33450
If that was true, engineering wouldn't be going anywhere and nobody would consider them worth hiring. They apply what academia finds. Learning more about the world doesn't happen with one guy trying to be clever, it's an extremely lengthy, very large group effort. Science is not stagnating at all.
>> No. 33452 [Edit]
>>33443
>>33444
>The universe in not deterministic and nobody thinks it is anymore
I think it's true that bell's theorem and such essentially rule out hidden variables, and if you accept locality (e.g. take speed of light limit as fixed) then you're constrained to have nondeterminsm in some manner (whether in the Copenhagen or multi-worlds interpretation). But I believe Bell's theorem only really holds if you take as a given that you have the ability to perform independent, uncorrelated measurements. Or colloquially that you have some sort of free will.

I'm not at all qualified to make comments on this field, but it does appear that the existence of this loophole of "superdeterminism" is accepted, but for some reason it's not really brought up much. An excerpt from Bell himself:

>There is a way to escape the inference of superluminal speeds and spooky action at a distance. But it involves absolute determinism in the universe, the complete absence of free will. Suppose the world is super-deterministic, with not just inanimate nature running on behind-the-scenes clockwork, but with our behavior, including our belief that we are free to choose to do one experiment rather than another, absolutely predetermined, including the 'decision' by the experimenter to carry out one set of measurements rather than another, the difficulty disappears. There is no need for a faster-than-light signal to tell particle A what measurement has been carried out on particle B, because the universe, including particle A, already 'knows' what that measurement, and its outcome, will be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superdeterminism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem
>> No. 33453 [Edit]
>>33450
I do agree that parts of academia are a shell game (especially soft-sciences such as psychology/economics, but also things such as medicine which is pretty much just blind trials). And it would be good if those fields had increased skepticism towards their results.

However dismissing all of academia as tomfoolery seems a bit too far-reaching since there have been demonstrable advances in fields such as physics and chemistry.

>Science and technology would be advancing at a rapid pace instead of stagnating
Science has advanced quite a bit in the last century though. It might appear to be slowing down, but that's mainly because most of the low hanging fruit is gone so any improvements from here are going to be minor. And progress usually comes in bursts because it ultimately takes time for discoveries to saturate and build on top of each other. As for technology, most of the advancements here have really come out of the private sector (Bell labs) and increasingly SV companies which may not be academia in the traditional sense but they still publish their findings in conferences and journals (albeit possibly watered down versions stripped of the corresponding implementation details).

File 156906766141.jpg - (0.98MB , 2744x2448 , 5757e690334b197fdb6df9e05b6c35bd-imagejpeg.jpg )
33274 No. 33274 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Earliest known depiction of Mahou Shoujo.
>> No. 33419 [Edit]
File 157044424211.jpg - (325.87KB , 2039x1447 , Spoiler Picture.jpg )
33419

File 155548120337.jpg - (67.26KB , 1920x1080 , 1396241748486.jpg )
32242 No. 32242 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Do you feel an uncanny level of connection with your computer?

I upgraded recently and it's actually made me kind of sad. I had my previous computer for nearly a decade. It feels kind of like I've abandoned a great friend. I don't feel as comfortable with this new computer and that emotion seems to go beyond just the annoyance of setting up software and copying settings over. When my tracking number said my memory would get here the next day I actually had somehing of a mental breakdown and cried. Throughout so much of my life it's been there right next to me, the one object I'm sure to use every day. The new PC is nice but I don't feel this close to it. Kind of like I'm leaving an old friend to rot in an alleyway when they did nothing wrong. I know I'll get over it, I had much the same reaction when I upgraded from my original pc. But it's been weeks now and every time I pass by the utility room it's sitting in there and I feel kind of bad about it...

Does anyone have similar experiences? People like us really live our lives on these machines. Is it really so strange to be this attached?
5 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 32388 [Edit]
i do too actually. I feel this deep, spiritual connection every time I physically touch my laptop in anyway.
>> No. 32958 [Edit]
I feel weirdly emotional about throwing out my office chair that I have sat at for over 5 years.
>> No. 33314 [Edit]
Computer is my data connector.
http://blog.seiha.org
>> No. 33409 [Edit]
Computer is my friend.......

File 147475335878.png - (93.54KB , 378x399 , 1470895088699.png )
29517 No. 29517 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Do you have any recurring fantasies or daydreams?

In high school I often fantasized about talking down a school shooter, thinking up scenarios where we traded extended, edgy dialogue. Now I daydream about being a great writer, although I've barely done any creative writing.
17 posts and 5 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 33293 [Edit]
File 156924746441.jpg - (168.05KB , 1200x675 , 20190922.jpg )
33293
I dream of being a World Warrior
>> No. 33336 [Edit]
File z1.mp4 - (54.06KB )

33336
I dream of sleeping
>> No. 33338 [Edit]
>>33257
I would swear I have read that post before. Sounds like magicchan or something like that.
>> No. 33407 [Edit]
I frequently fantasise about being a renown concert pianist even though I can't play piano and honestly, I think I'm musically deaf. I've noticed other people talk about a pianist's "tone" such that, they claim that they can actually identify the performer of a piece because of that pianist's signature "tone". They talk about how Horowitz was a master of manipulating "colour". Truly, I have no idea what these people are talking about. As long as the right note is being hit at the right time, it all sounds good to me. I think there's a higher level to music that has to be perceived to be grasped and I don't think I have the ability to perceive it. Even if I were to take music seriously, I really don't think, even with years of practise, I'd get very far. It's a bit depressing to think that the ceiling's been set before I've even started but I guess that's that.

File 157028517828.jpg - (344.78KB , 850x828 , __original_drawn_by_arata_yokoyama__sample-8c673aa.jpg )
33375 No. 33375 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I was arguing with some guy about how the massive output of anime, manga and other otaku related media showed a greater acceptance of those type of hobbyist things in Japan compared to the US. He told me any Otaku are shunned in Japan and if they're found out they would even get fired. While I don't believe it's something you would brag about, I can't imagine people actually losing their job over it and being treated like second-class-citizens. Trains and planes have characters on them and Akihabara is an entire district dedicated to it. How much truth was there to what this guy was saying?
4 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 33385 [Edit]
File 157029933054.png - (23.05KB , 685x288 , 1337209701653.png )
33385
>>33383
I don't get why someone that's supposed to be interested in another culture or parts of it makes so little effort to understand nothing.
Worse of it is how it goes forever. In 50 years there will be people arguing how whatever new buzzword ruined the "elegant" or "manly" anime of the 2060's.
>> No. 33386 [Edit]
>>33380
I'm not sure if this is better or worse than how they used to use "otaku" as a nickname for anyone who has seen even a bit of anime. Which has now been replaced by "weeb"

>>33385
I've had to explain and point out how each season we only get 1-3 Cute and moe Slice of life shows per season out of 30+, but do they listen? Of course not. Then you got those retards who somehow -still- view anime as being nothing but non nonsensical hyper violent gore fests filled with school girls being raped by tentical monsters, most of those idiots haven't seen anything past dragonballz and "robotech" but they act like they know it all.
>> No. 33387 [Edit]
>>33386
>Then you got those retards who somehow -still- view anime as being nothing but non nonsensical hyper violent gore fests filled with school girls being raped by tentical monsters

There's still people like that? It's kind of amazing if you think abut it since that kind of anime was mostly made 30 years ago, those old OVA must have made an enormous impact.
It also makes me remember when the official language academy of my country gave a definition of "manga" for the first time, just some years ago;

>comic genre of japanese origin, of simple style, with predominance of violent, erotic and fantastic stories.
>> No. 33388 [Edit]
>>33383
I've seen this image several times, but it only just hit me that he called Omoide Poroporo an "old classic". It would have been three years old at time of writing.

File 146882704826.jpg - (453.62KB , 850x672 , sample_a40d8a612010a9a203a4362cb601622f.jpg )
29240 No. 29240 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What are your thoughts on the common portrayal in Japanese media of life essentially being limited to one's time in school?
17 posts and 4 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 33371 [Edit]
That's how it is.

When you start your working life, you are considered an adult. That means no more fun allowed, just escapism from the gray reality or daily sacrifice for your offspring and elders.

Especially in Japan there is literally nothing else than work. I knew a young guy, who worked 12 hours and more a day, commutes 2 more hours and has essentially 4 hours for household, hygiene and hobbies, which however often are taken by social eating and drinking with his colleagues after work.

No wonder people die early with this lifestyle.
>> No. 33373 [Edit]
>>33371
It's amazing how being like that they still have such an enormous cultural industry full of enormous franchises and 100+ hours videogames.
I guess it's because big part of the public is the NEET or the arubaito worker and other variants, since regular people wouldn't have time to spend on that.
>> No. 33374 [Edit]
>>33373
How regular is the Salaryman life really though? Sure there are many of them but Japan still has to have cooks, waiters, mechanics, tradesmen, taxi drivers and the like, I don't think even half the Japanese work force would be Salarymen.
>> No. 33376 [Edit]
>>33374
For what I studied some years ago, the salaryman is a thing from the past. There's still some but younger generations don't like that kind of life, also companies started firing people and the idea of working all your life in the same place is less common every year. I don't know what's worse, actually.

File 156978298967.jpg - (226.78KB , 850x638 , __gold_red_typhlosion_blastoise_charizard_and_etc_.jpg )
33327 No. 33327 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What has been your personal experience with Pokemon? I started with gen 4, and I have good memories of it for that reason, but it's not my favorite. I think generation 2 was the peak of everything good about Pokemon. The atmosphere, the music, the adventure. It was intended as the last entry into the series and it shows. Everything after the second generation has been an artificial extension increasingly made out of an interest in profit rather than passion.

A lot of people feel that the franchise has gone down hill, but I disagree with their reasons. It's true that the creatures have become more over-designed and the overall art style has become less inspired and the legendary monster concept has been cheapened, but that's not the biggest issue in my opinion. The problem is that it became international. You don't really think of Pokemon as a jrpg, right?

The franchise's success practically forced gamefreak to tone certain things down for a larger, global audience and especially western sensibilities. Then they started accomodating more and more to the point where the game's aren't even set in places based on Japan. The cultural roots of the game have been uprooted and when playing the games you feel it. You feel that it was intended to please everybody across the world. No more forest shrines and kimono wearing girls. No more buddhist temples. No more anything that could upset a parent. No where is this shift more clear than in the anime. The themes of the games aren't particularly tied to Japan either now. Gen 1's technological focus and gen 2's nature focus came from a place relevant to the creators, so it felt like it had some weight to it.

tl;dr: The franchise isn't bathed in Japanese aesthetics and/or sensibilities anymore, so it feels soulless.
11 posts and 4 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 33343 [Edit]
>>33339
Black and White 2 has some incredibly philosophical lines of dialogue in it.
>> No. 33344 [Edit]
>>33343
Have some examples of that?
>> No. 33352 [Edit]
File 157022009430.jpg - (245.33KB , 1280x865 , Delphox 2.jpg )
33352
I started with the anime and was huge into Pokémon but I never could play the games at the time because I didn't have a Gameboy or anything. Later on in my life I got to play Pokémon Diamond. It was fun but I ended up getting an action replay and just cheating my way through. I played Gale of Darkness at some point afterwards. Fun, but I got stuck. Dropped the series after that.
I then played Y many years later and enjoyed it but man, was it piss easy. I got to play Omega Ruby some time after that but I ended up grinding for levels and I just got bored of the series after that. If nothing else, if I do play Sword/Shield then at this point it will be because I can customize my cute girl trainer even more so than usual. It took me a long time to realize it but something I appreciate about Pokémon is that it feels like it's your adventure with your friends. It centers around you. It makes me feel like I'm playing some kind of anime simulator, if that makes sense. I'm not so sure if I'm getting it across too well.
I'm sure there are many more games that do this better but I don't know what they are. At this point, that's the only reason I would play Pokémon anymore. It's a nice franchise despite how corporate it is but for me there's only one reason to bother anymore.
Also I ♡ delphox.
>> No. 33359 [Edit]
File 157023686171.jpg - (116.08KB , 850x1201 , __kasumi_pokemon_classic_anime_and_etc_drawn_by_te.jpg )
33359
>>33352
I bought an action replay after playing through Platinum the first time. It's basically like a new game+. The intended experience is fun the first time, but then you don't want to be restricted. Some events were also only accesible for a short time, so cheating is the only way to access them. Not buying any potions or using them during important battles is sort of like a hard mode and I liked doing it that way.
>I'm sure there are many more games that do this better but I don't know what they are.
Dragon Quest maybe

File 157022076861.jpg - (352.69KB , 529x800 , 83f42f2d61abfb8579926bc00cec2b5de20707fe.jpg )
33355 No. 33355 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Does anybody else like older ladies in anime? You know, aunts, teachers, Christmas cakes, moms, etc. I don't like them as much as I adore older sisters but they're very comfy and very hot. I feel like they're very underrated because I think they're very good characters when they are allowed some focus in a story.
>> No. 33357 [Edit]
File 157022368839.jpg - (1.55MB , 1920x2123 , 1545407636742.jpg )
33357
I never liked them but a certain character has awaken something inside me.
>> No. 33358 [Edit]
File 157022448968.jpg - (295.44KB , 2560x1440 , [HorribleSubs] Machikado Mazoku - 10 [1080p]_mkv_s.jpg )
33358
The older I get the more they appeal to me. Then again I've always found a bit of maturity appealing, just a bit.

File 157015231240.jpg - (30.33KB , 350x491 , madoka-kaname-19490.jpg )
33350 No. 33350 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Happy Birthday to The Woman I unironically worship, Madoka Kaname, Happy Birthday to the fictional woman, who has ultimately changed my life. I Love You, Msdoka Ksname. Happy Birthday.
>> No. 33353 [Edit]
File 157022019859.gif - (146.95KB , 683x800 , this cake is for you.gif )
33353
Happy birthday!

File 156816479940.jpg - (61.92KB , 425x288 , vote.jpg )
33209 No. 33209 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Key is letting people vote on their favorite character from across all their works. Who do you think will win?

http://dlsv.product.jp/key/key20th-character/
>> No. 33210 [Edit]
I voted for uguu~, but I actually hate her, and I regret it.
>> No. 33211 [Edit]
I voted for the best girl in Clannad. Take that as you will.
>> No. 33213 [Edit]
File 156817892197.jpg - (8.57KB , 259x194 , Lulu_Sanjo_.jpg )
33213
>>33209
Lulu Sanjo from I My Me! Strawberry Eggs
>> No. 33321 [Edit]
https://youtu.be/O7JLW9x02k4

Live broadcast announcing the results in a few hours.

File 156853049185.jpg - (381.73KB , 850x1300 , fuko.jpg )
33244 No. 33244 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I tried to create this thread in /fb/, but that board got locked again so I'm putting it here instead.
This thread has been created for the express purpose of making outrageously offensive, greedy or even technologically impossible demands on the TC staff.
My own opinion on this issue is that /mai/ should smell like strawberries and I feel like whomever is responsible for failing to carry this out should compensate me financially for the service level deficiency.
12 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 33266 [Edit]
>>33265
>demand that I fire these mods on the basses that he assumed they were female. This without even having proof I might add

I find it reassuring that I can read between the lines there and discover that it seems that evidence of being female is still a legitimate reason to get rid of someone. Accusing someone without evidence is just slander though, but its nice to see that time and attempted slanderous abuses of the rules haven't eroded TC's strict standards.
>> No. 33297 [Edit]
/ot/ should be accompanied by a 24/7 radio audio stream that it just two people reading out all the 'tangents' on the board.
>> No. 33298 [Edit]
>>33297
You could do it with TTS, but there isn't enough post traffic to keep it as a continuous stream unless you loop them.
>> No. 33308 [Edit]
>>33297
>>33298
The stream could primarily play music but have breaks where the posts are read aloud.

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21]


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]