This is a board for topics that don't fit on other boards, but that are still otaku/hobby related.
Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, EPUB, GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3760 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 160383804490.jpg - (709.74KB , 1500x1342 , d9a74d0f230089300aeec633fe9a6e49.jpg )
36456 No. 36456 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What is your favorite dere?
16 posts and 9 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 36611 [Edit]
>>36456
Yandere. What could be more romantic than someone willing to lovingly eviscerate you?
>> No. 36617 [Edit]
File 160489025583.png - (279.89KB , 500x600 , bd3eec748f60c7d83593a63e265444e8.png )
36617
Yanderes. A girl so devoted to the extent of violent obsession is not only romantic, but it helps me believe that the yandere herself isn't some whore who switches between guys at the same speed as her heartrate. The violent obsession is an exciting kind of romantic. I don't know of any character like this, but a yandere school shooter girl would be my favorite. A guilty pleasure of mine is the works of Aosore's JC-chan. That's how I feel yanderes should be at minimum, punishing infractions with violence. The appeal of a cute girl spilling someone else's blood is very strong, especially if it's deserved. One of my favorite things about yanderes is when their eyes glow in the dark. Few things, for me, communicate so effectively the danger and insanity they hold. Blood and dead bodies spilled everywhere like a pressurized ketchup bottle someone accidentally stepped on obviously communicates it well and probably more clearly than anything else a yandere could do but glowing eyes communicates it so cleanly, so effectively. If you see a girl's eyes glow in the dark, you know something is off about her. At that point she doesn't need the knife, the blood, the victims, or anything else, all you need is the eyes. Not to mention, the intimidation is very enticing.
I would like dere-deres but I don't think I would trust them very much and I can't think of many examples I've seen in anime.
>> No. 36619 [Edit]
File 160489164419.jpg - (108.82KB , 850x602 , sample_45d9c07cf70bb3dff74b106fdab007c7.jpg )
36619
>>36617
My problem with yanderes is that they generally aren't interested in genuine reciprocation. It's common for them to project things onto their subject of obsession and never listen to what they have to say. Being understood by and having a real conversation with someone cognitevely imparied like that doesn't seem like it would be easy. They're also likely to pointlessly put themselves in danger, which would logically lead to them getting hurt or killed. I guess manic behavior also doesn't appeal to me because it reminds me a lot of unreasonable, hysterical women.

Post edited on 8th Nov 2020, 7:14pm
>> No. 36625 [Edit]
>>36619
I think partners ignoring each other and projecting what they want to hear is a common problem with all relationships, yandere or not. I think depending on the type of yandere, some might obsess over every word you say and go above and beyond to grant your every wish. Unfortunately, that type of yandere seems to be uncommon and generally over shadowed by the more delusional violent and psychotic types.

File 157626160784.jpg - (100.15KB , 850x600 , __original_drawn_by_matataku__sample-1b6a9d6e80b78.jpg )
33825 No. 33825 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What would you do if the world got fucked? A calamity which doesn't kill everyone, but severely disrupts the going ons of the world. I'm asking just in general and for a more specific scenario. If the yellow stone super volcano erupts, the entirety of North America would become completely uninhabitable and the released smoke would affect the entire planet in varying degrees of severity.

There would be very little warning, but probably enough to go somewhere if you're lucky. Your two main options would either be South America, where it would be warm but you'd have to deal with many locals and other refugees, or East Asia, where you could manage to stay alive, but it would be extremely cold. Or you could just die.

Post edited on 13th Dec 2019, 10:32am
24 posts and 9 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 36598 [Edit]
>>36591
>2020 in a nutshell.
That would be: much ado about nothing, annoying neurotics screeching 24/7.
>> No. 36600 [Edit]
I'm close enough to yellow stone that it going off might kill me or at the very least turn this area into a hellscape.
Because of covid panic buying which I'm not exactly proud of, I've still got months of food and water in an RV, a lot of miscellaneous tools & supplies, along with a good quality AR and crossbow. I've got solar panels and plenty of batteries but haven't wired them into place yet.
>> No. 36612 [Edit]
>>36600
You know it's not going to happen right?
>> No. 36613 [Edit]
>>36612
Probably not in our life time, no. I just like to think it's best to be prepaid for whatever might happen.

"It's better to have things you don't need, than to need things you don't have" - Some graboid hunter.

File 157183294873.jpg - (148.60KB , 850x478 , __love_money_rock_n_roll_drawn_by_arsenixc__sample.jpg )
33525 No. 33525 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Let's talk about every terrible thing Netflix has done. Purely as a service, it's a mediocre, roundabout way of getting access to shows. There's some committee of people deciding what gets hosted and what doesn't, which is almost entirely decided by market demand rather than quality. Good movies get booted to make room for cape shit. You also have to wait a year longer to watch new seasons of shows that already aired, even if the season is being hosted in another country. The monthly rate for streaming has gone up over the years. Streaming as a paid service is also ridiculous because if you're paying money for data, you should have unlimited access to that data.

With that out-of-the-way, the more important issue is with Netflix's goal of controlling the anime industry, at least in the west(for the time being). Buying up streaming rights is one thing, but from a cultural standpoint, they want control too. They make live action adaptations and new dubs with changed translations to control the image of these shows. They get exclusive streaming rights to new shows while they're in production, which means they will definitely get some level of creative control, which inevitably means censorship and ideological injection. This kind of things actually is a slippery slope. People who cheer and get excited when they announce the next show they'll butcher are so naive I can't believe it. I'm dreading their Ghost in Shell reboot.

Post edited on 23rd Oct 2019, 5:19am
6 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 35556 [Edit]
File 159619344571.gif - (1.02MB , 200x200 , 20200816.gif )
35556
>>33526
Money makes the work go round
>> No. 35583 [Edit]
Carole & Tuesday anime stuck in Netflix jail.
>> No. 35584 [Edit]
>>35583
A fate that befits such a westernized series.
>> No. 36608 [Edit]
>>35584
Ep9 agrees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PXixjet7UU

File 160325044124.jpg - (178.30KB , 850x850 , sample_6f3cc870cc55734f66de0cdf5dff7b64a2d4b01c.jpg )
36373 No. 36373 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I like reading about cults. Their beliefs and practices aren't as interesting as how they change their members and what kind of people they attract. The parts of human nature they capitalize upon. Scientology is a "self-help" religion with typical self-help trappings. Everything is your fault, if something bad happens to you, it's your fault, etc. What's interesting about it is how it tries to "improve people" and what Hubbard considered improvement.

While it advertises itself as being all about "communication", they practice drills designed to remove their reaction to insults, yelling and the other person in general, to be able to disassociate at will and fake normalcy. Scientology is often described as lowering people's empathy and making them willing to do unscrupulous things. This "transformation" is flawed though in that Hubbard also had an interest in producing unquestioning slaves, hence the hypnosis and command following based "services".

Christian cults encourage a "keep sweet" personality. Never expressing negative emotions and being perpetually chipper. Cults use a lot of made up terminology to get people to think with specific worldview chosen by the creator. Cults are apart from society, but also give unique insight into it.

Post edited on 20th Oct 2020, 8:22pm
17 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 36485 [Edit]
File 160399414481.jpg - (134.37KB , 640x640 , 23a3d632c21e2d00de36b3e618e8462a.jpg )
36485
This one doesn't get discussed a lot despite its highish member count and some rich people being involved, but I remember the NXIVM cult for its weird name and also doubling as a self-help company and ponzi scheme. Apparently the leader was convicted to 120 years in prison this October. One of the related organizations was called DOS(I think the leader was a bit of an early video game nerd since other terminology is also game related), an acronym of incorrect latin which means Master over Slave Women.

It was also a sex cult with sex slave members. The guy who made it has an ugly haircut, so some people were incredulous about that. It's really annoying how orignal footage and interviews are drowned out by boring, shitty news coverage. Thankfully, the channel Keith Raniere Conversations still exists, so you can look at that if you're curious.
>> No. 36494 [Edit]
>>36485
Because there's not much to discuss because it was fairly obvious what the goal was.
It wasn't some Aum or Heaven's Gate insanity, it was just a man manipulating heiresses for his own gain.
A bizarre active one that is almost never talked about is the rainbow family. They're little hippie parties but attract violent types and have been linked to a disappearance
>> No. 36560 [Edit]
>>36373
Do you have any recommendations for reading about Aum Shinrikyo and how they managed to get so many very educated followers? It seems like a fascinating topic to me, since the kind of technological backbone the had is rare in cults (especially fairly localized ones).
>> No. 36561 [Edit]
>>36560
There's probably plenty in Japanese.

File 158758959016.jpg - (36.84KB , 633x640 , Burn tan.jpg )
34658 No. 34658 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I find that I'm far more interested in the prototypes for stories, games, and characters than I am in the final product. There's just always something, some element of a prototype that stands out to me as being more raw and interesting than its final, polished form. Characters that are toned down and made softer, designs that are widened and modernized to eliminate the influence of older popular fashion, music that has the original hard edges replaced with some sort of smoothing beat. Every final product just feels so watered down, as if products have to be more bland to be palatable to the average person. Does anyone else feel this way?
1 post omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 34736 [Edit]
File 158784503422.jpg - (305.02KB , 1920x1080 , 斑鳩7e93857572f884a718aaf17d39d2e5cb3ef8a8b5.jpg )
34736
>>34658
Then it might interest you that the prototypes for the 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon games were recently leaked:
https://boards.4channel.org/vp/ppg
>> No. 34737 [Edit]
>>34736
That does interest me, I like especially the older pokemon games.
>> No. 34744 [Edit]
>>34658
If you're into worldbuilding definitely read Ursula K Le Guin's Always Coming Home.
>> No. 36496 [Edit]
>>34658
When it comes to Anime, one of the critiques I always see is that the stories often start off with an interesting premise but, for some reason, the writers fail in execution. Perhaps the reason why you're often more drawn to the prototype is because the prototype is legitimately more interesting than the final product.

File 16035320998.jpg - (155.17KB , 1000x1400 , 58c35394c7dc69d0c0293c56ba8c807f.jpg )
36417 No. 36417 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
How many of you have read through some of TC's archives to any degree? What were your favorite board's archives to read through? What were your favorite posts? Did you ever feel tempted to make a thread that one of them covered from years ago because you wanted to see what modern TC's users thought compared to back then, because you wanted more discussion, or any other reason? And for the question I want to ask most: what did you think about the Tohno-chan of that time? Please share anything and everything you think about it, I would love to read it all.
I've read many archived posts from /mai/ and /ot/. Sometimes I go back and read them again when I'm bored and more than enough time has passed for me to forget what I read. One thing I find myself not forgetting is the impression I get from earlier posts. While I prefer not to normally state my opinions in the OP as they relate to the topic, I sometimes feel like older Tohno-chan was more fun and friendly. People could funpost and nobody had a problem with it and questions had more variety. Somehow I can feel less restraint from the topics and content of those old posts. It's like anons back then were always happy to be away from the shit that was taking over the internet at the time but they weren't on-edge about it following them here. I suppose that just comes with the general environment the internet had. It's a little sad to imagine that nobody back then knew how bad things would get but it's reassuring to know they could enjoy themselves back in those dreamlike days.
As I progress from the very early posts to one that came much later I feel like depression really started to set in for many anons. Be it because their lives got progressively worse, they couldn't ignore the pain anymore, or because the more upbeat members left and negative ones took their places, I don't know. Regardless of the reason, it's sad to watch the general mood change over time to something I always considered unsavory and was never fond of in Tohno-chan even in the best of times. Maybe it was always like this and it would be clearly spelled out for me if I decided to read the /so/ archives, which I won't do because /so/ is already poison for the soul, I don't need more of that, but I can't help but remember the general loss of humor and what h
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
13 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 36434 [Edit]
>>36433
I think there's a bit more to it than that.
Negative attitudes can be infectious, depressed people might drag others down with them to have some company. Likewise, sometimes acting happy and keeping a positive attitude can have a lasting effect on an unhappy person.
>> No. 36435 [Edit]
>>36434
I don't come here to fill the role of someones therapist.
>> No. 36437 [Edit]
>>36434
>spelled out for me if I decided to read the /so/ archives
/so/ has never really struck me as a particularly "depressing" board. Yes it's certainly not all smiles and optimism, but that doesn't mean it's an endless gloom pit either. What's discussed there feels raw and human, and above all most of the posts are of a constructive nature – rather than falling into the pit of wallowing in self-despair as other such places have fallen prey to. Even if you don't usually take to the "ronery" atmosphere, given the presence of topics such as the "random memories" one (kudos to the OP to who created that; I've enjoyed the momentary glimpses into others' lives), maybe you could instead view it as encompassing something like "saudade."
>> No. 36440 [Edit]
File 160363213349.jpg - (1.27MB , 2010x2763 , 72572896_p0.jpg )
36440
>How many of you have read through some of TC's archives to any degree?
I've read just a little.
>What were your favorite board's archives to read through? What were your favorite posts?
I haven't read that much, so nothing really stands out that much, most of what I've read was /ot/ and /ma/.
>Did you ever feel tempted to make a thread that one of them covered from years ago because you wanted to see what modern TC's users thought compared to back then, because you wanted more discussion, or any other reason?
I'm the one who made the Prison School thread on /ma/. I just made to talk about it, nothing more. The manga wasn't concluded at the time, so the threads are different.
Personally, I don't see much point in reading the archives like that, I am pleased with the website as it is, and I believe even now there's a dreamlike quality to it, no matter how nightmarish things may seem at the moment, some years from now I think most users will look back to this era and also remember it fondly. Most users from the dreamlike past, didn't felt dreamlike at the time, it will be time that will show to us the happiness we could not perceive.
Oh, and tell Maki to stop smoking and get some rest.

File 160141560488.jpg - (96.81KB , 700x535 , kaguya_dualmonitor.jpg )
36129 No. 36129 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
How long have you been on the internet? What are your best memories? How have your internet habit changed? Do you enjoy it nowadays? I would like this thread to be an open discussion to this beautiful yet flawed place that we all inhabit.
14 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 36219 [Edit]
File 160195995310.png - (3.40MB , 1220x1400 , QNTK3694.png )
36219
You didn't miss a whole lot, there were some fun times and a different attitude to the net but the vast majority was porn/game trading, excessive flaming and spam.
Media wasn't as easy to come by either so secondaries ran rampant in 2D circles.
>> No. 36283 [Edit]
>How long have you been on the internet?
Well I first started using it sometime around 2000, when I was 8. But during that time I was rarely allowed online (mom would always say "no, I'm waiting for a friend to call", but I imagine she just didn't want me running up the bill). The few times I could get online, all I really did was look up cheat codes and play flash games.

It wasn't until 2004 that I could get online consistently and I started trying to take part in communities. Mainly gaming forums for what few games I had. Of course, being 12 among a group of 15+-year-olds, it was only natural that I made a massive ass of myself. So after a few tries to fit in somewhere, I just kept to myself until stumbling upon 4chan via YTMND (which in turn I found through the Wikipedia article on Sonic the Hedgehog) in 2006.

>What are your best memories?
Having spent most of my time on imageboards, that's where all of the best memories are. Even then I don't know if they're all that good. I remember my first day on 4chan pretty clearly, there was a motivational poster thread on /b/ that immediately got hijacked into a porn dump. I won't say what kind it was, but I'll just say it was like nothing I'd seen before and I came buckets several times. Also hung out on small chans' /i/nvasion boards, was a good place to vent my teenage frustration in the form of raiding other people.

I guess other good memories would be getting into new games and the occasional new anime. But with my computer being the 1998 toaster it was, "games" only meant SNES JRPGs and Doom WADs, and "anime" just meant whatever I could find on streaming sites. I lurked a few forums for the stuff I enjoyed, but I never posted on them since I was too shy. Looking back, I feel like I should have tried to be a part of those communities, I probably would have been driven to pursue the artistic passions I had back in my teens. Without the support of having friends, all I could really do was just dabble occasionally in code and music, never really getting anywhere.

>How have your internet habit changed?
Well I stopped using 4chan. I still use imageboards frequ
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 36312 [Edit]
>>36129
Been around since the late 90s.
My best experience was a small non-English BBS with quite a nice community. I still miss friends from there, but it died quite suddenly when the admin went to Iraq and didn't come back so most people didn't connect up again.

As far as I'm concerned, the clearnet is as good as dead. It's been overrun by the social media hordes that spread like a plague and who complain about anyone that's different, which gets sites taken down (see: 8chan), net infrastructure companies (DNS-providers, hosts, anti-DDOS...) are banning sites at random and it's accepted by their other customers, and giant quasi-monopolies eat websites. Forums have been killed by Reddit, IRC/Mumble by Discord, webrings by Google, personal websites by FB...
I'm moving more and more to darknet stuff, I2P, TOR, hopefully gnunet at some point. There's still more interesting things there and less of that centralization stuff that's killing the clearnet.
>> No. 36313 [Edit]
>>36312
> My best experience was a small non-English BBS with quite a nice community. I still miss friends from there, but it died quite suddenly when the admin went to Iraq and didn't come back so most people didn't connect up again.

I'm sorry to hear that, online communities just going down with no backup means of communication is always a tragedy.

File 151416502777.png - (948.84KB , 1040x800 , ea3ae1104fe0bf0341f8697a77e182675d045bb4.png )
31113 No. 31113 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
You are on death row and you get one last meal. What will it be?
21 posts and 4 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 36003 [Edit]
>>35997
Malay?
>> No. 36025 [Edit]
>>36003
Indonesian nasi
>> No. 36075 [Edit]
File 160120129920.jpg - (61.77KB , 1389x610 , 20200927.jpg )
36075
Soft fluffy jiggly cheesecake
>> No. 36185 [Edit]
File 160168662737.jpg - (211.80KB , 1580x951 , 20201018.jpg )
36185
Seafood paella

File 160090828814.jpg - (335.04KB , 800x1120 , 1122b0c56c060aa33f06792ae9204dc2.jpg )
36012 No. 36012 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Describe 2020 to someone living in 2010
4 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 36029 [Edit]
2020 is overhated. A little pestilence here and some civil unrest there and people act like the world is ending when western civilization has been through far worse.
>> No. 36040 [Edit]
>>36029
I guess it depends in what country you live in, but in some it hasn't been "a little pestilence" but the most devastating year since the last war they were directly involved. We're talking about GDP getting fucked between 10-15% in one year, that's absolutely nuts. Of course some countries will recover fast but others will lag for decades, if they ever recover. It could also be the year of the beginning of an enormous change in geopolitics and how the world power is distributed.
>> No. 36041 [Edit]
>>36040
I'm not the person to be talking about the geopolitical ramifications of it with, to be honest. I was more talking about the severity of the actual pandemic, the death rate of the virus is very low compared to things of the past.
I was also just talking about how people on social media bitch about every year like it's the worst ever.
>> No. 36043 [Edit]
Your life will pretty much carry on as is while all the normal people freak out about not being able to go out and get drunk for a few months. The economy will go to shit but since you're not retarded with money (and lucky) you won't really notice that either outside of some "free" money showing up in your bank account.

Its been a good year for me but a lot of it's down to luck. I saw the freakout over corona coming with how Italy went and planned ahead. When everyone else went grocery shopping I already had everything I'd need for over a month. A lot of normal people lost their shit in isolation. It took them down a peg mentally and helped my self image.

>>36040
Yeah, the economy has been the real thing. I've been learning more about finance lately and it really seems like the govt is pulling all sorts of tricks to keep the economy afloat until the election.

File 158803522747.jpg - (244.15KB , 850x1200 , 26.jpg )
34815 No. 34815 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What do you think about webtoons as a format? They apparently originated in Korea, but some Japanese artists have picked it up and it seems to be gaining traction(at least for porn). Good, bad? Has anybody seen any interesting ones?
6 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 36000 [Edit]
Some of the mangakaka I follow release chapters/bonuses on Twitter. Does that count?

I don't follow many, but I am annoyed by how many are uploaded onto the panda, often with poor, almost machine-tier translation.
>> No. 36005 [Edit]
I hate Korean webtoons because I don't like the big single page format they use. Web manga is not really the same.
>> No. 36010 [Edit]
File 160088684677.png - (494.86KB , 650x1092 , UQFX9913.png )
36010
>>34815
Is that darjeeling?
>> No. 36011 [Edit]
I tried to enjoy some Korean webtoons, but the art isn't anything special (and doesn't seem to vary across different artists), and the stories don't appeal to me. Maybe one has to do some digging to find the good stuff.

File
Removed
No. 31671 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
do you still watch anime?
22 posts and 4 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 35999 [Edit]
>>35991
I enjoy older romance stuff a lot, or even just SoL, the typical otaku fare. It makes me feel good. I will branch out and read a lot of stuff though, like even stuff I wouldn't typically read like tragedy or sports, even if it's not that great because of the fact that lot of SoL isn't fully translated unfortunately. Not to mention that a lot of romance manga have taken the western comic/battle shonen route of never having an ending planned to drag it out.

Regardless, I probably should post on /ma/ more.
>> No. 36002 [Edit]
>>35999
I don't really enjoy romance but with regards to SoL, have you read Chotto Ippai and Maid-san wa Taberu Dake?
>> No. 36006 [Edit]
>>36002
I've read a bit of the former. It's cute.
I just enjoy romance because I unashamedly self-insert and it makes me feel less alone.
>> No. 36039 [Edit]
>>36006
It's quite surprising that there isn't an anime adaptation of it yet, considering it's been around for quite a while and doing fairly well in Japan. Not to mention it's published in Manga Time Kirara.

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24]


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]