This is a board for topics that don't fit on other boards, but that are still otaku/hobby related.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 39794)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, EPUB, GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 4032 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 165460003041.jpg - (382.84KB , 602x878 , 62163145_p0.jpg )
39794 No. 39794 [Edit]
What are some things that really bug you?
Things that genuinely piss you off?

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to vent about any little annoyance, no mater how big or small.
Any and all complains about the world around you are welcome here!
Expand all images
>> No. 39796 [Edit]
Wire grass trimmers. Here where I live the noise goes on day after day and they also dont give much fuck about cars and windows and people. I know there are countries where they are regulated but in this post-communist shithole, there is none.
And I hate the fact that all the insane noise is seen here as perfectly fine. All the wood-cutting and grinding and drilling and kids on bikes and quads. Its one reason I like winter more.
>> No. 39798 [Edit]
File 165460886492.png - (487.67KB , 561x951 , f774e01eb8d3ee03fc2704060c6646513926eba7.png )
39798
>>39796
At least they serve a mostly benign purpose, making the grass look orderly and nice and they're really effective at that. If you dislike trimmers I would like to know your opinion on one of the dumbest machines I've ever seen; the leaf blower. Literally a machine built for flinging shit, garbage and debris up in the air at high speeds. That's all it does. I've seen people using one of those and then using a rake afterwards because a leaf blower does nothing right but noise and flinging shit up in the air. It's so amazingly innefective I can't believe it's a thing people buy. Rakes are better in every way and they actually sound very nice. Not as nice as a broom brooming pavement, that sounds best but a rake sounds good, too.
>> No. 39801 [Edit]
File 165462223451.jpg - (500.29KB , 1600x1200 , shrine.jpg )
39801
>>39798
I dont dislike them, I dislike how people use them. Most could use a push mover that is more quiet and doesnt send stones flying into cars windows and peoples faces but they use the wire thing even on totally flat surfaces because I dont know why.
Leaf blowers are not that popular here yet (fortunately) but I see them occasionally and it kind of feels like distopia. Like, will we have a machine for every single thing eventually?
>> No. 39839 [Edit]
>>39796
>>39801
I used to them for mowing the lawn, but that's because I am afraid of lawn mowers. The issue is that it just cuts grass and then leaves it there, that keeps it down but it doesn't look brilliant. So now I have a push powered lawn mower.
>> No. 39844 [Edit]
>>39798
Is the rake inferior to the broom for leaf sweeping in all types of ground? I think the rake only beats the broom when it comes to to sweeping hard-ish fruits on grass. These would be fruits that got bitten by animals and fell on the grass, so you would want to throw them away, but a broom would send them rolling aimlessly, while the rake holds them in their place. However I tried doing this a few months ago, and the fruits were a little soft and the rake was too hard on them, so I decided to pick them by the hand. I don't know if I'm missing something, but rakes don't seem very effective.
>> No. 39849 [Edit]
>>39796
I used my trimmer for the first time today after getting some string in the mail this morning. Noise bothers the hell out of me too, but I use an electric battery powered trimmer and mower. They don't make half as much noise as the gas powered ones most people around here use. I swear those things you can hear from a block away. They also come with the benefit of being able to start and stop them easily, no need for yanking away at a string. Who knows, maybe they'll grow in popularity for your area. Batteries for these things might be pricey, but buying and storing gas in containers can be a pain.

>>39801
I've seen people do that, and yeah I don't really get it. I specifically got mine to cut areas that are hard or impossible to reach with my mower. I tested it out a little on flat spots I missed with said mower, and found it sucks at that, hard. I pretty much ruined some spots doing that, taking the grass down to the dirt because it was hard to judge the height with the thing.

Post edited on 13th Jun 2022, 2:08pm
>> No. 39850 [Edit]
"Pride"
I don't care what you like, who you like, how you like it.
What I don't like, is having what you like constantly shoved in my face. I don't need to know or want to know what you get off to anymore than you want to know what I get off to. I don't take "pride" in my sexual interests, plaster it on flags and march down the streets announcing it to the world. Keep it to yourself, whatever it is, the way any civilized person would.
>> No. 39851 [Edit]
>>39850
Things that bother us are a good target to realize our attachments. Unchain yourself from expectations. That's what I try to do. Sorry, I'm preaching.
諸行無常 色即是空。
>> No. 39852 [Edit]
>>39850
Maybe it's because I'm a shut-in(probably), but I hear people complain about this MUCH more than I see what they're complaining about.
>> No. 39853 [Edit]
>>39852
I follow political shit because it's fun, and I can attest that it's pushed by massive corps, institutions, and government. Or at least it is in the States.
Though I think this discussion is more suitable for /tat/ than here.
>> No. 39854 [Edit]
File 165517900134.jpg - (1.03MB , 1800x2523 , f376d6bfe09ede7a22799a9ee7af7167.jpg )
39854
>>39853
I'm not saying this about you, but your post got me thinking. While my view is that the vast majority of people, including myself, are "insignificant", they can still live an enjoyable life. So it makes more sense for a person to focus on that, instead of things they don't like and have no control over.

Image board, armchair pundits, are like vampires. Not only do they spend time doing the opposite of the above, they try to make others do the same. They do it under the pretense of an end goal, but there is no end goal. I am 100% certain it doesn't exist. It's a delusion. In 50 years, they wont be remembered by anyone, like everyone else wont be, except they'll have spent their limited time making each other miserable, for no reason what so ever. I guess a false of importance and control.

They can waste their lives like that. I don't want to be sucked into it though.
>> No. 39856 [Edit]
>>39854
People enjoy different things, and one can have more than one interest or hobby. That's all there is to it.
>> No. 39862 [Edit]
It would be nice to be able to completely block light from coming inside my room in an elegant manner. I suppose I can hang blankets and do some makeshift but it looks so depressing and ugly that way. Installing effective blinds costs money. I don't want to be in a cave 7 days a week but sometimes I do feel like spending the day in the dark. I supppose I can shut my eyes wrap a blanket around my head but then I can't the computer monitor.
>> No. 39864 [Edit]
>>39862
You can do it yourself, it doesn't cost that much money. Get one of the wrap around curtain rods (should be around $20), and then a blackout curtain (depending on window size, may be anywhere from $40 - $50).
The other option is to get that blackout cloth you install via suction cups, but honestly that seems more of a hassle to install/uninstall every time than the curtain rod solution.

Also be aware that to synchronize circadian rhythm, you need to be exposed to light after you wake up (ideally it would be outdoor light, but since most people here probably don't spend much time outdoors then even having the blinds up is valuable). Similarly using the computer in low light will contribute to myopia (or more specifically, lack of exposure to bright light is one of the contributing factors. Not known if this is still true outside the critical adolescent period, but then using in dark will also accelerate any existing myopia that you already have since in darker rooms you end up having to move the screen closer).
>> No. 39874 [Edit]
Homeless people. I just wanted to get some fresh air and relax on my shitposting bench as I often do on my late night walks. I was going to sit there for a few minutes and make a few low effort posts somewhere, but some homeless man was sleeping on the bench across from it.
Damn those homeless. So selfish and inconsiderate. I weep for the lost property value.
>> No. 39880 [Edit]
I hate that all modern things are designed to fail within a few years. Even fucking computer mice will fail within a year (including those overpriced gamer mice) all because they use shitty Chinese metal. And I'm not joking about that - 99% of all mice use switches manufactured by Omron, and it's been a known problem for about a decade that they end up failing within 2 years because the spring/bistable switch ends up either oxidizing or bending.
>> No. 39896 [Edit]
File 165642637135.jpg - (51.81KB , 525x700 , 3b3d622d5c1626c71ab9843d7f476189.jpg )
39896
Jewelry is dumb. I've had it explained to me many times by my mom how jewelry is supposed to enhance a women's appearance. At best, I understand it on an abstract level. It can look nice on its own, or maybe even catch my attention(rarely), but it doesn't really make the woman look better, just richer.

The most interesting jewelry tends to not even be the most expensive, which are pretty much just wearable containers for a massive stone(s). I can't relate at all to getting excited over being given jewelry as a gift, like you've seen in a thousand western movies and tv shows. It doesn't perform any real function. It's not even clothing, which is a lot more noticeable.

At the end of the day, an attractive women dressed in rags will always be more appealing than an average rich woman whose decked out with fashionable clothes and has jewels strapped to their body and protruding from holes in their ears. Maybe I'm weird for thinking that, or maybe jewelry is less about catering to men and more about boosting their own ego and status among other women. So all in all, it's kind of disgusting to me.
>> No. 39897 [Edit]
>>39896
I don't mind it.
It can be symbolic or add interest, I used to wear a pentagram necklace when I was going through my witch craft chuuni phase and then a Thor's hammer necklace when I was going through that phase. I'll probably get more jewellery but just something that does not mean anything.

I have brought my sisters jewellery for Christmas as well, like a Norse wrist torque and a cool looking deer necklace. If you were to have two identical girls in identical clothing, then the one with the Norse wrist torque would look better I feel. As for diamond rings I would compare them to something like a Rolex(yes a Rolex technically has a function but nobody buys them for that). I don't think they are as interesting as a Norse torque or a pocket watch, but I think that given two identical people one with one without then the one with would still look better, but yes it's really just for status. But then if you can comfortably afford something like that then I don't see a harm in it.
>> No. 39898 [Edit]
>>39897
>one with would still look better
I wouldn't buy a rolex regardless of my income level. In my view it's old fashioned.
>if you can comfortably afford
Thing is, I bet most jewelry is purchased with the money people other than the wearer earned. The culture of it gets on my nerves most. It's decadent and evil, and I'm not saying that as a religious person. Winning a women over, by buying them excessively expensive things, is glorified prostitution, and I resent how normalized that's become. A person with no interest in jewelry is more virtuous in my opinion.

Post edited on 28th Jun 2022, 10:03am
>> No. 39899 [Edit]
>>39898
Don't let the customs of the world bother you anon. On this day and age, indifference is the closest thing to freedom we have.
>> No. 39900 [Edit]
>>39896
It doesn't make sense to me either. I also don't understand why woman do piercings for the purpose of wearing more jewelry.
>> No. 39901 [Edit]
>>39897
>I have brought my sisters jewellery for Christmas
That's very nice of you, anon. It's nice to have a decent relationship with your siblings. It's very good for your mental health, too, I've noticed. I hope you got a nice present as well.
>> No. 39903 [Edit]
I don't like the English language. If I could go without hearing it ever again, I'd be happier for it. I have nothing pleasant to associate with it and it flows very poorly in comparison to other languages.
>> No. 39904 [Edit]
>>39903
It's my mother tongue, so I'm biased, but I like how "straight forward" English sounds. No frills I guess. A lot of songs I like are in English too.
>> No. 39905 [Edit]
>>39904
I'm a native speaker as well. I still don't like it. I prefer Spanish. It's a little more fun to speak. Not that I'm fluent or anything, but I know enough to piece it together and give poor replies.
As for music, I don't really care too much about lyrics. I like interesting or pleasant sounds. As such, language doesn't matter.
>> No. 39906 [Edit]
>>39905
I'm a native English speaker, but I think it's just ok. It's not really elegant or classy, but it gets the job done I suppose – by virtue of it being an amalgamation of romance and germanic languages, it's relatively flexible and you can basically toss in whatever and it ends up sort of working out. I don't think it's good for songs though, because the pronunciation seems a bit too harsh to me (maybe it's all the consonants?). On the other hand

There's also probably a bias though where you're used to your native tongue so any other new language will seem more attractive.
>> No. 39909 [Edit]
>>39903
I like it but I hate it when it's spoken by Americans and Australians.

What I like about it is how diverse it is. Because it borrows from so many other languages everything can be said in multiple ways giving many different atmospheres and styles.
>> No. 39914 [Edit]
I think american english and australian english are worse than british english when it comes to accent and spelling, but some of the specific words from american english sound better to me. And then there's cases like "knowledge" which turns to "acknowledgment" in american english and "acknowledgement" in british english.
>> No. 39915 [Edit]
>>39914
I think -yze suffix works better than -yse suffix since otherwise z ends up being underused.
>> No. 39917 [Edit]
>>39914
I really hate American English words. They sound so dumb to me.

For example fall instead of autumn or ass instead of arse or armor instead or armour. Fall sounds like something a caveman would say, an ass is a donkey and armor is a bastardization. I can't think of an American word that sounds better and even the way the language is used with the same vocabulary is not great. In the same way they sound like cavemen when they turn autumn into fall, they also sound quite simple when they use phrases like 'it's cold out'.
>> No. 39918 [Edit]
>>39917
Autumn comes from French. British English has its own stupid and childish words. Like saying lift instead of elevator. Anyway, both me and Tohno are Americans, so watch this "they" language. Who do you think you're talking to? You sound like a homosexual, bitter europoor when you show disrespect like that.

Post edited on 30th Jun 2022, 10:03pm
>> No. 39919 [Edit]
>>39918
Many English words come from French.
Lift and elevator mean the same thing.
I know where Tohno is from but that is irrelevant. He's not going to ban people for speaking poorly of his nation and he would be a pretty poor admin if that was the case. After all it's not like this is a website for American patriotism and American culture.
The fact that you would even bring that up and that you then follow it with 'who do you think you are talking to' is absurd. What are you trying to say? That because you come from a specific country I have to treat you like a special snowflake and not say anything negative about your nation or you will tell the admin on me?
>> No. 39920 [Edit]
>>39919
>Lift and elevator mean the same thing.
Fall and autumn mean the same thing.
>What are you trying to say?
You're rude and pretentious. Despite putting on sophisticated airs, you don't understand the most basic level of tact. You know you're not amongst fellow snobbish, up their own ass europoors, so why do you act like you are?
>> No. 39922 [Edit]
>>39920
>The word autumn (/ˈɔːtəm/) is derived from Latin autumnus, archaic auctumnus, possibly from the ancient Etruscan root autu- and has within it connotations of the passing of the year.[15] Alternative etymologies include Proto-Indo-European *h₃ewǵ- ("cold") or *h₂sows- ("dry").[16]

>After the Greek era, the word continued to be used as the Old French word autompne (automne in modern French) or autumpne in Middle English,[17] and was later normalised to the original Latin. In the Medieval period, there are rare examples of its use as early as the 12th century, but by the 16th century, it was in common use.

They don't mean the same thing, probably. But also, while it is a borrowed word it is not borrowed for fall(the action) so it does not have the same connotations that using fall as a replacement for autumn has. The word Autumn is solely used for the season, we would never say autumn is the season where the leaves autumn off the trees. Fall(the season) however, does have tha cannotation becuase it is used in that context so it can easily be seen as caveman's English.

>You're rude and pretentious. Despite putting on sophisticated airs, you don't understand the most basic level of tact. You know you're not amongst fellow snobbish, up their own ass europoors, so why do you act like you are?
So in other words I am just acting exactly how you are? Well not exactly, I'm not also saying people aren't allowed to have negative opinions on where I come from and doing so makes them snobbish and pretentious. And what's even more ridiculous about all this is that you attacking me for insulting your nation while at the same time you certainly have no qualms in insulting the nations of others. Quite hypocritical I would say.
>> No. 39923 [Edit]
>>39922
>They don't mean the same thing
They do, because language is arbitrary and words mean what people agree upon. Literally nothing else is needed for a word to mean something.
>The word Autumn is solely used for the season
The word lift is not solely used for elevators. If your problem is with how fall sounds, and not insignificant, arbitrary etymology only insufferable pedants would care about, lift is no better. If your issue does stem from etymology, you're even worse than I thought.

>I am just acting exactly how you are?
When I insult you, I acknowledge your presence, do so directly, and it's a response to something. You said "they" in reference to a group of people, to that same group of people.

Post edited on 30th Jun 2022, 11:22pm
>> No. 39924 [Edit]
>>39923
Oh really? Then who agrees that autumn means fall(the action)? Go on, who?

Lift relates to what a lift does, which is of course the norm regarding the nomenclature of objects that have been invented in recent history. I am responding to you on a computer so named because it computes. This should not be applied retrospectively to all things or anything really. The reason we name new objects like that is because there isn't another name available and there aren't really any other ways to name then.

>When I insult you, I acknowledge your presence, do so directly, and it's a response to something. You said "they" in reference to a group of people, to that same group of people.
I'm Australian, notice how I did not feel the need to attack >>39914 nor did I even mention that I was Australian until now. I really don't see how me being Australian makes his point less valid or means that he has no right to his opinion. I certainly don't see why I personally should be so invested in what he thinks of my country. Even if I did somehow feel the need to defend my country, if he does not like how we speak then calling him a homosexual European would be unlikely to change his mind or result in anything constructive at all.

What else should I refer to Americans as? Am I not using the right pronouns? Are the Americans as a group not to be refereed to as they/them? It really does not matter whether you are a part of the American people or not I will still respond to them as they because that is how it is done. I am not criticising how you speak as an individual even if what I say about the Americans as a whole applies to you as well, I am referring to Americans as a Group.

Post edited on 30th Jun 2022, 11:37pm
>> No. 39925 [Edit]
>>39924
An elevator elevates. Lift is just lift. The word hasn't been changed at all. If it was lifter, that would be different.

>I did not feel the need to attack >>39914
Neither did I, because they were polite.

>Are the Americans as a group not to be refereed to as they/them?
Not when you're talking to them/in their presence. That applies to any group. And it should also be obvious that it's better to separate the language from the people who speak it when criticizing the language, you know, context. If you really didn't know that, maybe I was wrong to take issue with what you said. I assumed we all have the same basic understanding of politeness.

Post edited on 30th Jun 2022, 11:50pm
>> No. 39926 [Edit]
>>39925
It relates to the same thing. In this case elevator might be the slightly more apt word but only slightly so. It's nothing like the Autumn to fall comparison.

>Neither did I, because they were polite.
Just like how you were polite as well? It would not matter if he was rude. That's not going to make me feel the need to defend my country any more that it would if he was polite nor does it mean he therefore has not right to dislike our accent.

>Not when you're talking to them/in their presence. That applies to any group. And it should also be obvious that it's better to separate the language from the people who speak it when criticizing the language, you know, context. If you really didn't know that, maybe I was wrong to take issue with what you said. I assumed we all have the same basic understanding of politeness.
Did you storm Normandy? Did you send HIMARs to Ukraine? I don't know maybe you did but the proper way to speak of it would be they stormed Normandy, they sent Himars to Ukraine.
Additionally, you may notice that the post I replied to with 'they' did not state they were American so 'they' would have been the correct word even by your own logic. Unless you now think anytime Americans are mentioned you and Tohno should be addressed as third party instead. This of course would get ridiculous quite quickly, even in the context that we have hear. I don't know if Tohno says Autumn or fall, it would have been silly to say 'In the same way they sound like cavemen when Tohno and his patriotic friend turn autumn into fall'. I would be making assumptions and addressing two individuals when I am actually referring to the group.

>I assumed we all have the same basic understanding of politeness.

>You sound like a homosexual, bitter europoor when you show disrespect like that.
>You're rude and pretentious. Despite putting on sophisticated airs, you don't understand the most basic level of tact. You know you're not amongst fellow snobbish, up their own ass europoors, so why do you act like you are?


Well apparently not, I would not call that being polite. But then language is clearly not your strong point so maybe that is your understanding of being polite.
>> No. 39927 [Edit]
File 165666637015.png - (11.13KB , 97x97 , blub.png )
39927
Strive towards peace, fellow travelers.
>> No. 39928 [Edit]
>>39926
Instead of
>In the same way they sound like cavemen when they turn autumn into fall, they also sound quite simple when they use phrases like 'it's cold out'.

You should have just said
>'It's cold out' also sounds quite simple.

I don't like having to be among people like you who are casually rude. Why would I want to talk to people who think they're better than me because they're pretentious, snobby pedants?

Post edited on 1st Jul 2022, 6:43am
>> No. 39929 [Edit]
>>39928
And you are not casually rude?

>You sound like a homosexual, bitter europoor when you show disrespect like that.
>You're rude and pretentious. Despite putting on sophisticated airs, you don't understand the most basic level of tact. You know you're not amongst fellow snobbish, up their own ass europoors, so why do you act like you are?

Might I also add that even if you think I am rude that rudeness is nothing on the level of your own as is clearly evident. Not just here by the way but in your general demeanour, if you look at my post you will find that I never actually insulted you personally until my last post where I said that language was not your strong point. Now it could be said that I have been snarky but again, that is nothing compared to you who has been quite rude and insulting form the very start and continue to be in every post while having the gall to then try to attack me for being rude. It's absurd.

>Why would I want to talk to people who think they're better than me because they're pretentious, snobby pedants?
I don't know, if that is what you think of me and you are question why you would do such a thing then why are you? Maybe this is improving your language skills?

As an aside, the word pretentious is a pet peeve of mine, well not the word but how and who it's most often used by. Funnily enough the word pretentious is most often used quite pretentiously as has been the case with your usage of the word. Because of course by accusing somebody of being pretentious the implication is that they are somehow pretending to know something they don't, acting in a way false manner that is not true to them or some other form of idiocy and by implying that you are also implying that these do not apply to you hence why I say it's the people that use the word that are the ones that are pretentious.

Post edited on 1st Jul 2022, 7:23am
>> No. 39930 [Edit]
>>39929
>And you are not casually rude?
Not casually. I do it with intent.

>why are you?
You're on the same website, and there isn't that many other users.

>by accusing somebody of being pretentious the implication is
My implication is that a pretentious person assigns a false significance or depth to something or someone. You go on and on about etymology like it's so important and justifies your tastes when it's not and doesn't. You could say autumn means "when it gets cold and dry" by the article snippets you posted. You ignore that fall was previously used in British English, and more often than autumn. You also ignore that the word harvest, in reference to that season, predates both in English. None of it matters in the first place, and you only pay attention to the parts which support your tastes. That's pretentious.

Frankly, I like fall(and harvest) more because it has an obvious connection to the rest of English. Autumn has its roots in Latin, but is more distant and remote. Language isn't more "sophisticated" when farther abstracted. You probably like the origins of words to be more esoteric because knowing the origin makes you feel "learned", like any other useless trivia.

Post edited on 1st Jul 2022, 7:43am
>> No. 39931 [Edit]
>>39930
And yet you still attack others for being less rude than you are...

>My implication is that a pretentious person assigns a false significance or depth to something or someone.
And who is it that decides what has a false significance or depth? Whoever thinks they are the one deciding that sounds quite pretentious.

>You go on and on about etymology like it's so important and justifies your tastes when it's not and doesn't.
Well it is important, if you are going to argue about langauge then you had best know the details on what you are arguing about just like if you are going to use the word pretentious then you had better know what it actually means.

>You could say autumn means "when it gets cold and dry" by the article snippets you posted. You ignore that fall was previously used in British English, and more often than autumn.
Yet it's not now.

>You also ignore that the word harvest, in reference to that season, predates both in English.
I have not ignored it, it was never brought up. Harvest is fine, well it was fine maybe not now. For an agrarian society naming a season after the defining event of the season makes some sense. It does not really make sense now as it's no longer relevant to the majority of people.

>None of it matters in the first place,
Then why are you arguing about it and why are you so defensive about it?

>and you only pay attention to the parts which support your tastes. That's pretentious.
Not really, I have addressed every part you brought up, even the part that you brought up in your head then attacked me for not addressing. That's also not what the word means.
>> No. 39932 [Edit]
>>39931
>That's also not what the word means.
>expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pretentious
Ignoring details that undermine your argument is a means of exaggeration. Your argument is that "fall" is somehow a base perversion of the english language.
>they turn autumn into fall

Post edited on 1st Jul 2022, 8:22am
>> No. 39934 [Edit]
>>39932

>expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature
So not.
>you only pay attention to the parts which support your tastes. That's pretentious.

>Ignoring details that undermine your argument is a means of exaggeration.
Not really, I also don't think you know what is meant by 'exaggerated importance', it refers to a person exaggerating their own importance, not the importance of a point in an argument.
>> No. 39935 [Edit]
>>39934
>it refers to a person exaggerating their own importance
That's only the most common usage. There's no rule that says it can't be used in another context. A movie can be pretentious.

You said
>they turn autumn into fall
You ignore things which go against this insulting narrative.

Post edited on 1st Jul 2022, 8:30am
>> No. 39936 [Edit]
>>39935
I'll try to simplify this.

To be pretentious is to pretend to be something, the clue is in the word.
>expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature
As you can see, that would be pretending, one is pretending to be important to have worth or to have status. But he does not or at least not to the degree he is pretending, hence the affected, unwarranted or exaggerated part.

It can be used in another context but not the one you are using. A movie could be attempting to come across as being an insightful commentary on the human condition or something like that but fail and so it's pretentious, it was pretending to be something that it was not.

If somebody was to ignore a point in an argument to exaggerate their own point as you talk about, that is not pretending to be something.

>You ignore things which go against this insulting narrative.
Ignore what? If I'm ignoring something then it's in your head because you have not mentioned it.
>> No. 39937 [Edit]
>>39936
>A movie could be attempting to come across as being an insightful commentary
>ignore a point in an argument to exaggerate their own point as you talk about, that is not pretending to be something
That's pretending the argument is true and insightful.

>Ignore what? If I'm ignoring something then it's in your head because you have not mentioned it.
You said, directly, Americans changed the word autumn to fall, and insinuated this says something negative about Americans. They didn't do that. And even if they did, it wouldn't say anything negative about them. Who are YOU to decide that's a downgrade?

>Fall sounds like something a caveman would say
Okay, everything you've said sounds like something a pretentious snob would say.
>> No. 39938 [Edit]
>>39937
It's pretending no such thing. Somebody could ignore a point in an argument that was a farce to begin with.
I think trying to use the word pretentious so liberally would only lead to ridiculous statements as well. 'The stick insect is pretentious because it's pretending to be a stick'.
'the child is pretentious because it's pretending what it says is important'.

>You said, directly, Americans changed the word autumn to fall, and insinuated this says something negative about Americans. They didn't do that.
Oh that is what you are so relied up about, because I said turn Autumn to fall instead of use Fall instead of Autumn. You are really reaching here.

But for what it's worth what I quoted before(it was from Wikipedia) about Autumn said it was in common use by the 16th century, implying that by the time the Americans revolted most of them probably were using Autumn not fall, so they probably did change from using Autumn to using fall rather than use fall from the early middle ages uninterpreted until now. But it hardly matters anyway, the pint is that the Americans use fall not Autumn.

>Who are YOU to decide that's a downgrade?
Who are you to decide who is a pretentious snob or a 'homosexual europoor'. Who is anybody to decide what language is better than another? Who is anybody to decide any such thing? I have my opinion and I voiced my reasoning behind it.

>Okay, everything you've said sounds like something a pretentious snob would say.
Who are you to decide that? Particularly when you barely knows what the word means.

Post edited on 1st Jul 2022, 9:14am
>> No. 39939 [Edit]
>>39938
>Who are you to decide that?
I have my opinion and I voiced my reasoning behind it. I'm confident many other people would agree with me, which is where language gets its meaning. I have nothing else to say.
>> No. 39940 [Edit]
File 165669570384.jpg - (79.65KB , 787x900 , __original_drawn_by_mattaku_mousuke__cb16cfe109fff.jpg )
39940
I don't get why some artists do this. They make the closest thing to the observer appear less clear and sharp.
>> No. 39941 [Edit]
>>39940
If you imagine that it's being captured through a camera, isn't such a thing possible if you play with depth of field?
>> No. 39942 [Edit]
>>39941
Yes, I guess so. I hadn't thought about this possibility.
>> No. 39949 [Edit]
>>39942
Or it's point-of-view with the viewer being a farsighted ojisan
>> No. 39954 [Edit]
>>39940
It's to draw a certain aspect of the image into focus. Like would be done with a camera as was mentioned.

Having said that I don't know that there was much point doing that with this image.
>> No. 39955 [Edit]
>>39954
Yeah that particular picture isn't a very good application, since the fingertips are at about the same z-depth (give or take two inches) as the feet but only the latter are blurred. It can be applied thoughtfully though.

What's more annoying to me is deliberate chromatic aberration, which is nausea inducing and has few legitimate uses. There was even an entire show (Miru Tights) which seemed to revel in adding this to every frame.

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]