This is a board for topics that don't fit on other boards, but that are still otaku/hobby related.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 11220)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, EPUB, GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 2115 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 132010033174.jpg - (650.36KB , 1200x1531 , 18f6bbb82d9aeb721db77cdf643ede78.jpg )
11220 No. 11220 [Edit]
They say you learn something new every day. Let's see if that statement is true!

ITT post something new you learned today. Trivia knowledge is more than welcome.
Expand all images
>> No. 11221 [Edit]
File 132010074924.jpg - (116.64KB , 500x334 , 2881524219_0d458c57cb.jpg )
11221
I'll allow myself to break the 'today' rule just this one time, as this is more or less what made me create this thread in the first place.

Red spider lilies are technically not lilies. They are part of Amaryllidaceae family, whereas real lilies are part of Liliaceae family.
>> No. 11224 [Edit]
I learned that bestiaries weren't just compilations of beasts. Each animal symbolized something to show that the world was itself the word of Haruhi, i.e. pelicans symbolized Jesus.
Obviously this only applies to Middle Ages bestiaries, but still interesting.

Also, shouldn't this go on /mt/?
>> No. 11225 [Edit]
hmm...
I guess I learned even postcards in airmail take a long time to get delivered.
>> No. 11226 [Edit]
I saw an amazing short film years ago, but I couldn't remember the name. All I had to do was ask my animation teacher, derp.
>> No. 11236 [Edit]
>>11224

>Also, shouldn't this go on /mt/?

Maybe but not necessarily. In all honesty I didn't even consider /mt/ in the first place but I want silly stuff ITT, too. I posted something pretty scientific yesterday, coincidence has it that I'm gonna post something similar today but I want really stupid things here, too. Like, you know, H doujin knowledge and the like.



Don't think I learned anything funny/interesting today. The most important thing I realized is just how little I know about Pol Pot. I'll have to read a book about that.
But I digress. Piece of info for today: I realized string theory is quite old. I thought it's something recent as it gets debated all the time lately but it actually goes all the way back to 1960s (or even further than that).
>> No. 11237 [Edit]
I learned how annoyingly counter-intuitive After Effects can be.
>> No. 11244 [Edit]
S&W has a lot of potential for a stand. I don't know to what extent it's ability can go, but I don't think that Araki Hirohiko will disappoint me.
>> No. 11245 [Edit]
There are Steins;Gate character songs.
>> No. 11248 [Edit]
No one will give a shit about the photos you take of your figures, unless you also included flowers or some junk in the shot.
>> No. 11256 [Edit]
I learned how to correctly use the flash sync modes on my camera.
>> No. 11262 [Edit]
I learned that the Pole Star/North Star isn't actually any specific star and that in changes every once in a while.
>> No. 11264 [Edit]
I learned that "jazz hands" are supposed to be done with your elbows down near your waist and your forearms held out perpendicular to your body.
>> No. 11267 [Edit]
>>11264
My friend in high school would always complain about that when people tried to do jazz hands.
>> No. 11270 [Edit]
Today I learned that 4chan's /int/ is the only board that's actually moderated, for the sole purpose of hiding the truth about the of the Freemason/Illuminati New World Order.

Fuckin' illuminati, man....

am I funny yet

Post edited on 3rd Nov 2011, 7:17am
>> No. 11272 [Edit]
File 132033587720.jpg - (12.44KB , 360x270 , 1121087094_icturesaaw.jpg )
11272
>>11270
You crack me up.
>> No. 11273 [Edit]
File 132034144855.png - (138.93KB , 410x404 , 1315273788645.png )
11273
I'm just waking up at 11:30 AM...
give me a minute...
>> No. 11276 [Edit]
I learned that I should really keep figma parts in the bags they come with, and that keeping them all together ruins the matte finish as they run together over time.
>> No. 11278 [Edit]
Nothing comes to mind today. Oh, wait. I realized 'gofer' isn't an actual word in my language (I thought it means the same thing as in English but when I said it I got some weird looks and sure enough, there's no such word).
>> No. 11287 [Edit]
>>11278

I totally forgot! The most important lesson yesterday was which is the front and which is the back of an envelope!

Today was another boring day. I learned to never trust any postal services ever again.
>> No. 11299 [Edit]
I don't think I learned a thing today. If anything I could tell you that florist's shop being closed is a surprisingly good thing sometimes but it's not much of a lesson. You could form some kind aphorism based on that, though, something like 'sometimes bad things lead to good results' or something.
>> No. 11300 [Edit]
Bobbing, slipping and weaving is slow and will always be slower than punching no matter how much you train these things to be fast. Therefore you shouldn't expect to be able to continuously dodge punches. Not unless you're Floyd Mayweather Jr or something.

Therefore, for the most of us low-tier martial artists, dodging is a one-time affair. It is slower than a punch, so you need to react to the signs or rhythm of the opponent to predict his next blow in order to dodge it. Not getting that feedback from the fists confuses the opponent and messes up his momentum. You exploit this and the gaps in his guard caused by overextension by hitting him back in his unguarded vulnerable spot. I believe this is called counterpunching.

Well anyway, thats my theory I developed after trying to improve the speed of my bobbing and weaving, if anything is wrong or you have someting to add feel free to tell me.
>> No. 11333 [Edit]
I learned that the Little Prince is not as well known as I thought it was.
>> No. 11341 [Edit]
 
I learned how to improve my terrible posture.
>> No. 11375 [Edit]
Dishwasher detergent tabs, when dissolved into a sink full of hot water, help to loosen thick brown tea stains on a sink. But not all that well.
>> No. 11435 [Edit]
Those people were right about the things I had to do to be a competent user of my weapon.
>> No. 11436 [Edit]
The french revolution led to an attempt to implement a special calendar and time system that divided the year as follows:
10 months (+5 miscellaneous days, 6 on a leap year)
30 days per month
10 days per week
10 hours per day
100 minutes per hour
100 seconds per minute

This made the length of the second equal to about .864 of our current seconds.
>> No. 11443 [Edit]
In a 2006 (women's) hanball game Faroe Islands defeated Albania 81:1.
>> No. 11565 [Edit]
Itinerant means: "Habitually travelling from place to place."
>> No. 11601 [Edit]
The evidence we have says that the first confirmable case of humans cooking food occurred 1.8 million years ago, but the first instance of humans building shelter was only 500,000 years ago.

Somehow I feel like they must have created structures way before then, just nothing durable enough to be recovered by archaeologists.
>> No. 11602 [Edit]
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/185851/20110724/largest-water-reservoir-discovered-in-space-ever.htm

GIANT SPACE OCEANS
>> No. 11603 [Edit]
>>11602
Oh Haruhi, that is really awesome!

I can't help but imagine that there are things living in that "ocean".

A giant space Ceadeus would be awesome!
>> No. 11604 [Edit]
>>11603
I don't think any kind of intelligent life would choose to settle in, or arise from, the vincinity of a quasar...
>> No. 11605 [Edit]
>>11604
That's why I'm imagining it.

I don't know enough about any of this to assume that it's possible for anything to live there, but I like thinking about it. I apologize if I wasn't too clear with it.
>> No. 11606 [Edit]
Just learned how disk fragmentation is not much of an issue in modern NTFS systems(even those without SSDs) and how it should be dealt with.
>> No. 11622 [Edit]
Today I learned one of the few people I vaguely care about hates me.
>> No. 11623 [Edit]
>>11622
Ah, I know what that's like.
>> No. 11631 [Edit]
If you touch a fluorescent lamp while you're electrically charged, it briefly flashes up. Try it, it's fun!
>> No. 11656 [Edit]
that african slaves were fed well on average on slave ships and given time to exercise when they were away from the shore and whatnot. It was in a book in a bookstore I skimmed over called '100 bad things that happened in history' or something; it was a new book
>> No. 11658 [Edit]
>>11656
Another thing is that the first black slave in British North America (or perhaps ex-british NA)was owned by a black man. Then a few years later white people decided to be racist, and black people could own land and etc.
>> No. 11660 [Edit]
An acute overdose of ginger is usually in excess of about 2 grams of ginger per kilogram of body mass, dependent on level of ginger tolerance, and can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called ginger intoxication or colloquially the "ginger gitters".
>> No. 11666 [Edit]
Sexaulity is serious business in North Korea (then again over there everything else is serious business, too). Men can't get married until they turn 30, women until they turn 28 (and even then you need approval of your local community and governemnt officials). Sex before marriage is plain not allowed. Porn makers were sentenced to death back in the day. It's not a law (from what I gather) but forget kissing, even holding hands in public is not allowed. Skirts have to be at least knee length, short sleeves are not allowed. To get a room in a hotel you have to be married. Etc.
>> No. 11668 [Edit]
Alexander the Great was 32 when he died.

Can you imagine that? He conquered most of the known world at the age where most people might be looking for work just out of college.
>> No. 11677 [Edit]
Mercury, when in contact with your skin, can cause horrible damage.
>> No. 11684 [Edit]
>>11668

>He was known as one of the biggest mass murderers in the history of mankind (and possibly the biggest in his own time) at the age where most people might be looking for work just out of college.

Damn, I'm so jealous.
>> No. 11695 [Edit]
Learned a bunch of x86 assembly instructions, how to make good use of a disassembler and some tricks to reverse engineer very simple programs.
Very productive day!
>> No. 13049 [Edit]
You can configure Internet Explorer as to ignore color instructions of websites. I set it up so that everything is displayed blue-on-black. And I like.
>> No. 13050 [Edit]
>>13049
Could I see it?
>> No. 13052 [Edit]
File 132864370745.png - (93.22KB , 1920x1080 , Clipboard01.png )
13052
>>13050
Is what you meant? Btw, it can be set in Tools/ Internet Settings/ Accessibility.
>> No. 13053 [Edit]
>>11666
sounds nice
>> No. 13187 [Edit]
Appeal to hypocrisy is fallacious reasoning.
>> No. 13389 [Edit]
Hunter S. Thompson died seven years ago to the day. Very quite sad.
>> No. 13416 [Edit]
"Anamnesis" means "remembrance" or "recollection".
>> No. 13428 [Edit]
File 132993892775.gif - (71.04KB , 610x255 , Fairywasp1.gif )
13428
Today I learned there are wasps as small as amoebas. Now I'm freaked about these things potentially being inside me or living in my room, though I think they only live in Hawaii or something.
>> No. 13434 [Edit]
Mortgage is french for death contract.
>> No. 13458 [Edit]
There cannot possibly be a Haruhi because there was literally no time for Haruhi to exist in before the big bang.

Stephen motherfuckin Hawking
>> No. 13464 [Edit]
>>13458
I'm sure if I told this to someone that belives in Haruhi, they'd simply say there was no such thing as the bigbang, and that haruhi made everything.
>> No. 13465 [Edit]
>>13464
Have them watch this video. It's well explained.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2IOOnAdP2s
>> No. 13466 [Edit]
>>13458
>There cannot possibly be a Haruhi because there was literally no time for Haruhi to exist in before the big bang.

That's a tremendously poor explanation. You could just say the big bang created a Haruhi, who then engineered this planet.
>> No. 13468 [Edit]
>>13458
But Haruhi is thought to exist outside spacetime.
>> No. 13469 [Edit]
>>11220
No, because the bang and everything that came after the big bang is explained by the laws of nature and evolved according to them.

There is no "vacancy" that could be filled by a Haruhi-like being.
>> No. 13470 [Edit]
>>13469
>explained by the laws of nature

luckily the people who believe in a Haruhi or Haruhis care about such things
>> No. 13471 [Edit]
>>13464
That is funny because the big bang theory itself has its roots in Christian theology and the person to propose the big bang for the first time was a priest. I am also pretty sure that many, if not most, people who believe in Haruhi and are from a civilized country do consider the big bang a valid theory.

But the argument in >>13458 is just silly because it tries to apply physical laws to metaphysical being(s). I guess scientists, despite being brilliant in their own field, are still humans.
>> No. 13472 [Edit]
>>13471
Don't talk like you think you've outwitted Stephen Hawking

He has a perfect Int value
>> No. 13474 [Edit]
Yeah, let's totally talk about this fucking subject.
>> No. 13475 [Edit]
>>13474
Should I... make a thread, for it?
>> No. 13476 [Edit]
>>13475
Depends on what direction you take it. I don't know if "existence of Haruhi" threads are allowed, because they are always, always shit and worthless. An astrophysics thread would be great though.
>> No. 13477 [Edit]
>>13475
No. People have been discussing this for centuries and it never amounts to anything. You can't prove or disprove Haruhi. Nowadays those discussions quickly devolve into shitstorms anyway.
>> No. 13479 [Edit]
People haven't known for centuries what we know right now.

Stephen Hawking slam dunked Haruhi's ass in that video above.

Post edited on 24th Feb 2012, 10:24pm
>> No. 13480 [Edit]
>>13479
Yes, and it seems as time goes on, more and more people abandon religion.
so I wouldn't say these conversations are completely pointless.
It's always possible for a person to change their mind, one way or the other.


>>13465
Thank you for linking to this video, I never was able to understand before the part of something coming from nothing, or what might have set off the big bang in the first place, that was a very enlightening video.
>> No. 13481 [Edit]
Using rational arguments and logic when trying to argue with religious people is arguably the most retarded idea I heard about this month.

>>13480

>Yes, and it seems as time goes on, more and more people abandon religion.
>so I wouldn't say these conversations are completely pointless.
>It's always possible for a person to change their mind, one way or the other.

I'm glad you corrected yourself in the end - it's possible that they will change their mind, not that you'll be able to convince them using any arguments. Talking about this is absoutely pointless and from what I've seen the effect is the exact opposite to what you'd hope to accomplish - religious people feel threatened and thus they cling onto their beliefs that much stronger.
>> No. 13482 [Edit]
Yeah, people only believe in Haruhi because they were told to, or because they're afraid of what's obviously the truth. Those are completely the only reasons.

Holy shit, let's not get into this please.
>> No. 13483 [Edit]
>>13481
>Using rational arguments and logic when trying to argue with religious people is arguably the most retarded idea I heard about this month.

is arguably the most retarded claim I heard about this month. Hopefully you do realize that for example Newton was extremely religious and you understand he used same rationalization and logic in his theological writings as he used in his scientific writings. Right, you do? The problem with most of these "rational" arguments and "logic" against Haruhi is they often attack a straw man, or are fallacious in some other way, and thus are invalid. Note that it does not make the opposing view correct or mean the arguments for Haruhi are not riddled with fallacies.

>it's possible that they will change their mind, not that you'll be able to convince them using any arguments. Talking about this is absoutely pointless and from what I've seen the effect is the exact opposite to what you'd hope to accomplish

Convince them about what? Accomplish what? Make people not to believe in Haruhi? You seriously sound like some missionaries of atheism.

>>13472
Don't talk like you think Stephen Hawking is perfect. He has said some stupid things earlier e.g. beware, the aliens are coming.
>> No. 13484 [Edit]
dont start a religious argument please its a fucking dumb thing to argue about
>> No. 13485 [Edit]
>>13483
or missionaries of common sense.

and his idea of aliens is no less silly of an idea than a zombie space Jesus.

Post edited on 25th Feb 2012, 10:37am
>> No. 13489 [Edit]
>>13485
With all the ridiculously fucking enormity of the universe, alien life is a certainty.

They may not be coming to Earth, but they are out there and there can be no denying of that.
>> No. 13490 [Edit]
>>13489
Exactly.
I think people that dismiss alien life as crazy talk, have no comprehension of how vast the universe is, how many galaxies there are, and planets like ours there might be.

but I do believe the idea of aliens showing up only to visit and abduct weirdos and crazy people to be silly.
If aliens wanted to invade earth, I think they'd have done so already.
>> No. 13493 [Edit]
>>13490
People are quickly coming to that realization. Now we're finding new planets every month that have the possibility of supporting life. For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_g

Of course, now some retard might say he was abducted and anally probed by aliens from Gliese 581 g. You just can't win.
>> No. 13494 [Edit]
>alien life is a certainty
how can you say that? you have no idea how common life is, there is only one data point.

Post edited on 25th Feb 2012, 2:45pm
>> No. 13495 [Edit]
>>13494
Preconditions for life to exist have been proven to be common throughout the universe(eg. water, carbon, light, etc.), life itself not. Not yet. We might discover some definite traces of microbial life on Mars pretty soon, chances are high.

And the assumption that life's common based on the conditions of Earth, is only taking into consideration life that's similar to us. There's also a chance of, for example, life that uses silicon instead of carbon or maybe chlorine instead of oxygen. The possibilites are endless.

I'd say that it's pretty safe to assume that life is relatively common.
>> No. 13496 [Edit]
>>13494
Considering the billions of planets and suns out there, it's beyond crazy to think there isn't life in any shape or form out there.
Megalomania doesn't even begin to describe it.
>> No. 13497 [Edit]
File 133021466210.jpg - (4.32MB , 3100x3100 , HubbleUltraDeepFieldwithScaleComparison.jpg )
13497
>>13485
Which is quite silly.

>>13489
>They may not be coming to Earth, but they are out there and there can be no denying of that.

True, the problem is that Hawking claimed aliens might come and conquer the Earth if we try to contact them and thus we should stop the attempts to contact them. The argument has numerous problems, for example the mere distance between us and the closest habitable planet is enormous. And even if the planet is habitable it does not mean there is intelligent life or life at all as Earth might be more atypical planet than previously thought. Even if intelligent life exists in the planet, it has to be extremely developed and solved all the problems related to interstellar travel. This includes capability to achieve faster-than-light speeds. And faster-than-light travel seems impossible according to the current information.

If assumed that a such civilization exists they would still need some motivation to conquer or destroy us. Hawking suggested resources which is plausible because scarcity is something every advanced civilization has to deal with. If there is something they really want on Earth which is not found anywhere else more easily (unlikely) they still would have to allocate resources for the operation. The resources needed for the operation might be greater than the gains. Furthermore if a civilization is really so developed it is capable of interstellar travel they can find us even if we don't try to contact them. And if Earth really has something so precious and rare it is likely that some Aliens would have taken it already as >>13490 suggested. Especially considering the age of Earth.

>>13494
See image, the number of planets is so vast it becomes likely that a number of them contain life no matter what kind of conditions it requires. And as >>13495 pointed out the life can exist in forms that are completely different from Earth. Even the life in Earth can vary as the discovery of GFAJ-1 showed us. And we don't really know what forms of life for instance the hadal zone has.
>> No. 13498 [Edit]
I learned that there's going to be a Pokemon B/W 2.
>> No. 13500 [Edit]
>>13498
I knew they were gonna run out of colors sooner or latter
>> No. 13504 [Edit]
>>13500
Come on, they didn't even do Pokémon Indigo & Crimson yet. Indigo and Crimson are awesome colours.
>> No. 13509 [Edit]
I learnt that the 'GFAJ' in GFAJ-1 stands for "Give Felisa a Job".
>> No. 13525 [Edit]
A 'square go' is a faair fight in scottish english.....asked a scot about thta who I skype with, he said it is probably more Glasgow area (he lives by edinbuurgh)

Asked him this after TIME mentioned it in a little blurb on the girl heroine in the Pixar film.
>> No. 13594 [Edit]
 
today i learned that if you get a copyright claim filed against you on youtube, they force you to watch this video and take a test on it before you can use your account again
>> No. 13595 [Edit]
Asymptotic giants are red giants that no longer pulsate and produce carbon from helium by the triple-alpha process.
>> No. 13596 [Edit]
>>13594
I had to watch that video too when someone intentionally filed a false copyright claim. I know that YouTube doesn't give a damn about false copyright claims because they're so routine.
>> No. 13597 [Edit]
>>13594
>15,000 dislikes
That alone is hilarious.
>> No. 13610 [Edit]
Mapping XML to objects to GUI elements is really difficult.
>> No. 13647 [Edit]
>>13594
You've got to have one major log sized stick up your ass to go around deleting remixes of your work and getting the users banned for it.
>> No. 13745 [Edit]
I learned the phrase "chuunibyou" (中二病).
>> No. 13789 [Edit]
File 133133112590.jpg - (3.91MB , 2480x1753 , 5c52aeaa29c38bee49529bde0c7b4df162cfa701.jpg )
13789
You need 6905 flawless samples, if you need to estabilish a fault ratio of at most 0.001 with a confidence level of 99.9%.
>> No. 13884 [Edit]
Sim City 5. 2013. Can't wait.
>> No. 13888 [Edit]
>>13884
Oh shit. This is wonderful news.
>> No. 13889 [Edit]
>>13888
It's probably going to be filled to the brim with shitbookgarbage just like they did with The Sims. sorry
>> No. 13895 [Edit]
Madason is the name that Pankraz tried to give to the main character in Dragon Quest 5.
>> No. 13900 [Edit]
>>13889
From what I've read about it, it seems like more than a probably, since they're making a big deal about multi player.
>> No. 13901 [Edit]
>>13900
multiplayer... Simcity? How the fuck is that possible?

Please don't tell me they're going to rape Simcity. That's one of the last things from my childhood that has kept its purity, at least as far as I know.
>> No. 13902 [Edit]
>>13901
probably by hooking into shitbookaccounts and spamming messages about your city to people, like (i've heard) the later expansions of TS3 do

Also, it's an EA property. Being mutilated and raped is a foregone conclusion

Post edited on 15th Mar 2012, 7:43pm
>> No. 13903 [Edit]
>>13902
I don't have enough fucks and shits to appropriately express my disappointment.
>> No. 13904 [Edit]
 
>>13901

>Davis Guggenheim, director of climate change documentary An Inconvenient Truth, told conference attendees that the game will help educate young players about the issue. Players will also be able to compete with others to be the greenest city.
http://news.yahoo.com/simcity-5-launch-2013-better-graphics-green-theme-105459416.html


>An important feature is the multi player option which would allow as many as 16 players to play together. This feature would make the game more challenging and interesting. The feature provides an interesting scenario where any trouble in one city might be communicated to the Sims of a friend’s city.
http://www.techgadgetsweb.com/8082/simcity-5-ready-groundbreaking-come-back-2013



The embedded trailer shows what looks to be two players simultaneously building neighboring citys, each with it's own theme.
So my guess, something like anno

Post edited on 15th Mar 2012, 8:15pm
>> No. 13909 [Edit]
File 133187826567.png - (26.62KB , 696x273 , SoFuckingManyePeople.png )
13909
There are more people with shitbookaccounts today then there were on the whole planet 200 years ago.

I thought it was bull, but read that in 1800 the World population was around one billion, and that shitbook has 845 million active users a month alone.
>> No. 13910 [Edit]
>>13909
We're really fucking overpopulated.
>> No. 13914 [Edit]
>>13910
That's what I've been saying for years, but no one seems to care.
>> No. 13915 [Edit]
>>13901

>Please don't tell me they're going to rape Simcity. That's one of the last things from my childhood that has kept its purity, at least as far as I know.

You must've missed Societies.

But if we're just talking theory (JUST THEORY, I'M GONNA ALL CAPS THIS BECAUSE I BET IT WOULD BE IGNORED OTHERWISE) then I don't see multiplayer as something that has to ruin Sim City. It could be interesting in fact.

But it's EA so all hope is lost etc.
>> No. 13920 [Edit]
>>13910
Scientists/engineers are buying more time for the politicians to get their act together.
>> No. 13921 [Edit]
>>13920
Hahaha, like that'll ever happen!
>> No. 13941 [Edit]
>>13921
Exactly.
>> No. 13943 [Edit]
"Hirsutophilia is a paraphilia involving sexual attraction to body hair."
>> No. 14239 [Edit]
Remember that Azumanga ep/chapter where Tomo thought reindeer weren't real? Apparently Itou Kanae had a similar problem. For more info see:

http://ambiseiy.com/2011/07/27/itou-kanae-do-reindeer-exist/

TL;DR version: she tought a reindeer is a deer that flies. After Satou told her reindeer are real she still didn't realize the real reindeer don't fly. She was also wondering wether Pagasi are real.
There's even a punchline of sorts at the end 'what are the advantages of reindeer?'. Hilarious. I know right, what's the point of having both deer and reindeer if reindeers don't fly!
>> No. 14269 [Edit]
learned how to use my multimeter.
>> No. 14450 [Edit]
File 13346710136.jpg - (61.57KB , 640x480 , new-rocking-on-arms.jpg )
14450
When I played Okami for the first time I've already seen enough anime to 'know' what shishi-odoshi is (although I learned what it's called much later). All these years (well over 5) I thought they are like windchimes and people use(d) them because they like the sound they create.

Today I found out shishi-odoshi means (rough translation) 'deer scarer'. My mind was blown.
>> No. 14587 [Edit]
Accidentally watched a sex ed video while looking for Uzbekistani porn.

Apparently having the woman on her knees while lowering her upper body on the bed results in optimal penetration and friction against her upper vaginal walls.
>> No. 14588 [Edit]
>>14587
Wow, the only thing I remember learning in Sex Ed was that my penis would get bigger. Fucking liars
>> No. 14591 [Edit]
File 133552537695.jpg - (36.26KB , 400x300 , 2009-05-Dosenburger-02.jpg )
14591
I learned that canned cheeseburgers exist.

Just imagine surviving some apocalypse or societal collapse where prepared foodstuffs (especially cheeseburgers) are very rare, if available at all.

Picture having a nice stack of those canned cheeseburgers, relatively fresh and tasty as they come.

How many survivors, especially Americans and junkfood fiends, would trade their own mothers and daughters for the taste of one of these, just to remember the good old times when stuff was plentiful?

you could probably weigh those up with gold!
>> No. 14592 [Edit]
>>14591
I didn't know that those existed. I want to taste and hoard some of those.

Oh, and you're right about the other stuff.
>> No. 14594 [Edit]
>>14591

That looks positively disgusting.
>> No. 14595 [Edit]
>>14594
You don't go to mcdonalds very often do you?
>> No. 14618 [Edit]
>>14591
That's a great idea. I would never touch that shit, I could live on canned fruit, sardines and bottled water. But in an apocalypse situation, you know a lot of people are going to want this shit.

It would be interesting to see what would happen in a complete social breakdown. Watching what people do when their savings are wiped out. Humans are a few hairs away from being animals, we just manage to get by thinking we're "civilized" when times are good and things are stable. I'm not saying I want this to happen, I just think it would be an interesting change of pace.
>> No. 14619 [Edit]
>>14618
>Humans are a few hairs away from being animals
You don't watch much broadcast television, do you?
>> No. 14620 [Edit]
>>14619
I don't watch any at all.
>> No. 14621 [Edit]
>>14620
Check out Fox tv sometime, then try and say humans aren't animals.
>> No. 14800 [Edit]
I learned that Jojorion is nicknamed "four ball run" since Josuke has four balls instead of two.
>> No. 14862 [Edit]
File 133762928097.jpg - (442.99KB , 1010x1434 , 92369.jpg )
14862
I learned the so-called bra-ket notation of vector-matrix-vector multiplication.
I learned yestreday that certain news servers (e.g. the one I use now, news.synserver.net) filter out spam.
>> No. 14871 [Edit]
Today I learned this painter I admire - James Abbott McNeill Whistler - was American, not English. He was only based out of London.

Post edited on 21st May 2012, 8:49pm
>> No. 14872 [Edit]
>>14871
'Merica #1
>> No. 14881 [Edit]
File 133772806323.jpg - (214.17KB , 643x907 , 9662353d43f6df2c73c178899970f0fb.jpg )
14881
I learned that I can use my mouse with my left hand. I usually only use the mouse with my left hand whenever I fap, but to be able to use my mouse like this without being bothered enough to notice makes me a little embarrassed.
>> No. 14934 [Edit]
I learned that recently these "solar powered" plastic plant things that people have been putting on their car's dashboard is getting popular. It apparently "dances".

I don't understand the appeal, but I suppose that people find them aesthetically pleasing.

I'd guess that this was a sign of some rising cult, but my mother has one and I doubt she has the capability to be in one. So I'm gonna go with some sort of conspiracy. Or at least some sort of weird fad.

Here's what it looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/Rose-red-Cute-Swing-Solar-Flower/dp/B006W5LO9I/
>> No. 14936 [Edit]
>>14934
Deadman Wonderland?
>> No. 14937 [Edit]
>>14934

I like how 'weird fad' is supposed to be the least plausbiel scenario.

It's an Illuminati brainwashing telepathic transmitter, how do you not know this yet. Don't forget to wear your tinfoil hat.
>> No. 14954 [Edit]
There is a reason why we don't see more trains and such in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy
>> No. 15006 [Edit]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noahite

Didn't know Jews had heretics, moreso those with beliefs like this.
>> No. 15145 [Edit]
>>14954
No, that's a red herring. The real reason we don't have trains in the US is because the government built highways - to ensure their investment suceeded, they made business extremely difficult for rail companies.
>> No. 15386 [Edit]
I learned what's inside a hard drive today by taking an old dead one apart. Hard drive magnets are really strong.
>> No. 15397 [Edit]
Today I learned that the comments that flow by in the videos of Nicodouga, despite being informative sometimes, are really distracting. I had forgotten how much attention can be put on the image of a video when the comments are not passing by.
>> No. 15694 [Edit]
I learned that a filename can be so long that it can't be put into the recycle bin.
>> No. 15705 [Edit]
I learned (from talking to an actual Dutch person) the Dutch word "lekker," which apparently means something like "delicious," but more emphatic.
>> No. 15752 [Edit]
File 134153486832.jpg - (507.93KB , 1122x793 , 7c62166b2d50533745a4e7cf7482ee88.jpg )
15752
I learned that this one artist that I like made a remix of Ika Musume's S1 opening with Miku.

I love it, I love Ika Musume, and I love Miku.
>> No. 15818 [Edit]
From what I got the life cycle of the average keratinocyte is to climb skin layers in a differentiation process that gets rid of its nuclei and cytoplasm until it becomes a biologically dead thing lying on the outermost layer and protecting the body from the evil things outside.

I feel sort of bad for them now, they give away their life to keep me going.
>> No. 15827 [Edit]
I learned that mama bears will sometimes adopt orphaned cubs
>> No. 15829 [Edit]
>>15752
D-Do you have a link to it? I would like to hear it.
>> No. 15831 [Edit]
File 13419514213.jpg - (200.27KB , 684x600 , 77532ec761cd812fa18b39f283c32496.jpg )
15831
>>15829
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B31rMSYhDak
>> No. 15837 [Edit]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_hedgehog
>> No. 15934 [Edit]
Today I learned that the Mercury automobile brand is owned by Ford. The car I've been driving for the last two years is a '96 Mercury Sable. This technically makes me a Ford driver.

I apologize forever. orz
>> No. 16001 [Edit]
>>15934
That is kind of like how Lexus is owned by Toyota. Feels weird, man.
>> No. 16043 [Edit]
>>15934
>>16001

Time to expand some minds:

Ford: Ford/Lincoln/Mercury
Toyota: Toyota/Scion/Lexus
GM: Chevy/Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Saturn (and probably a million others I can't remember atm)
Nissan: Nissan/Infiniti
Honda: Honda/Acura
Mercedes: Mercedes/SMART
BMW: BMW/Mini
>> No. 16050 [Edit]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitch_Wars

It was an internal prison war between jailed Red Army veterans and the Soviet criminal underground that occurred during 1945-1953
>> No. 16056 [Edit]
>>16050
I read of that before. Actually I read that article specifically. I got Gulag Archipelago by Solzhensityn (sp?) Because of the wiki article on the book. Its a nice diary format. Well the english translation at leaast. Specifically I have the ABRIDGED series. I will get the vull versions too. Surprising that guy wrote that all/mainly from memory.

Found out about bitch wars and shit from USSR's treatment of liberated POWs. Note in Russia that is amazingly controversial on the treatment of Soviet Army veterns.>>16050
>>16050
>> No. 16065 [Edit]
>>16056
It's an amazing book. Amazingly depressing, but really insightful, too. The unabridged version goes into a lot of detail, great if you want to delve into the subject.
>> No. 16067 [Edit]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronostasis

This phenomenon has bugged me for as long as I can remember, but until now I never knew that anyone else experienced it or that there was a name for it.
>> No. 16100 [Edit]
File 134371619519.jpg - (143.68KB , 1600x900 , 1343705338002.jpg )
16100
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_%28behavior%29

Sinking is not just a protest against the ban on spraying champagne: "One gives the finger to everything – bans, global justice, saving the planet and equality."
>> No. 16101 [Edit]
>>16100
that seems extremely dumb and wasteful.
>> No. 16102 [Edit]
>The term "sinking" is a translation of the Swedish "vaskning," derived from "vask," which means "sink."

uh...
>> No. 16104 [Edit]
>>16101
That's the point. There's a similar practice among their schoolchildren, but they do it with milk.
>> No. 16132 [Edit]
>>16102
For some reason, I laughed really hard.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game
Anyway, today I learned that virtual reality headsets actually exist.
>> No. 16134 [Edit]
Bedbugs are called "Cimicidae".
>> No. 16167 [Edit]
>>16132
Gaben looks like a walrus.
>> No. 16168 [Edit]
>>16167
He is slowly but surely becoming santa claus
>> No. 16248 [Edit]
Zimbabwe doesn't hold the record for highest denomination of currency (their highest is only 100 trillion Zimbabwe dollar bill). The record holder is Hungary: after WW2 they experienced the highest inflation rate ever recorded and ended up printing a million billiard (long scale, equal to 1 sextillion) pengő bill. Prices doubled every 15 hours.
>> No. 16250 [Edit]
>>16248
*milliard billion
>> No. 16252 [Edit]
I learned that I was using the C function strcmp() wrong this whole time. I thought it returned 0 when the strings don't match, and 1 when they do. Rather, it returns 0 when they do match, and something else when they don't.
>> No. 16254 [Edit]
Birds have a somewhat circular respiratory system. That is, the air only passes through their lungs in one direction. Obviously they don't exhale out of their butt so it works because they have air sacs preceding and coming after the lungs. Because of this, their lungs are proportionally small and very efficient, something which is neccesary because birds need to be light and they have the highest metabolic rate of all vertebrates.
>> No. 16283 [Edit]
Apparently honey can be used to treat burns, wounds and whatnot. Maybe I will slice myself up to test it's properties.
>> No. 16284 [Edit]
>>16283

It's also good when you have a sore throat; a spoonful or so will sooth it for a bit.
>> No. 16295 [Edit]
Aromaticity is a unique configuration of a molecule with peculiarly strong bond strength, somewhat halfway between the bond strength of a single bond and a double bond. The three conditions for a carbon based molecule to be aromatic is that it must be cyclic, delocalised pi bonds and a certain number of electrons following Huckel's rule.

Armoatic compounds are pretty stable but can be coerced into reactions under certain conditions such as meeting a strongly electropositive molecule.
>> No. 16324 [Edit]
The lines and points of a hyperbolic surface can be represented on a (finite) Ponicaré disk.
>> No. 16325 [Edit]
Unicode has a shitton more emoticons than I thought before http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F600.pdf

>>16324
Ponicaré is a really funny typo.

Post edited on 11th Aug 2012, 4:24pm
>> No. 16341 [Edit]
Stanislav Petrov really existed.
Given that everybody mentions him but can never remember his name and only tells the history very roughly("that russian guy that choose not to pres the red button"(although he didn't actually have direct control of the "red button")), I always dismissed the anedocte as some modern myth of sorts.
>> No. 16388 [Edit]
I learn some jap everyday but this was a bit unusual.
I learned that (股)is a counter for partners (At least I think so)
It wouldn't come up in any dictionaries so I spent at least an hour reading shit loads of google results about stuff a virgin like me doesn't want to read.

Too bad because it looks like my first guess was right
>> No. 16416 [Edit]
File 134560592747.jpg - (41.11KB , 352x392 , original.jpg )
16416
The first known use of "OMG" was in a 1917 letter to Winston Churchill.
>> No. 16497 [Edit]
File 134590992979.jpg - (161.17KB , 1400x551 , SpareMiko_023.jpg )
16497
I learned what a Klesha is.
>> No. 16714 [Edit]
It's not just me who finds that moderate sleep deprivation improves my mood:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation#Treatment_for_depression

And I thought it was just because to me it makes the world feel slightly surreal, so it introduces delightfully grandiose delusional ideas and a feeling of being disconnected from reality, letting me get lost in those ridiculous fantasies.
>> No. 16739 [Edit]
On MIPS processors, "lw" (load word) instructions can be executed only with addresses divisible by 4.
>> No. 16778 [Edit]
It's easy to change the track title of an MDX file (format for X68000 music). Just open it up in a hex editor. The title is at the start of the file, and is terminated by the byte sequence 0D 0A 1A... I think.
>> No. 16956 [Edit]
 
Mitt Romney speaks French. I was honesty surprised.
>> No. 16957 [Edit]
>>16956
Terrible accent though. Why can't Americans ever speak other languages without having an accent?
>> No. 16958 [Edit]
>>16957
it's not like people who learn English latter into life don't have accents.
>> No. 16960 [Edit]
 
>>16957
The real question is: why can't the english...?
>> No. 16961 [Edit]
>>16956
He worked as a missionary in France, so that's probably where he learned it.
>> No. 16979 [Edit]
>>16957
You never heard a Briton try to speak Japanese then. It's absolutely dreadful.

Ironically it's the Australians I see with the best accents in Japanese. I however cannot speak Japanese without imitating a different voice.
>> No. 16987 [Edit]
>>16979
>>16979
Australians are more involved with Japan re. trade and whatnot; that's why I guess. More Australians in Japan too
>> No. 16998 [Edit]
I learned what an aneros is.
>> No. 17003 [Edit]
The Roman Emperor, Nero (immortalized in Fate/Extra as the best playable Servant) was really stinky.
>> No. 17004 [Edit]
>>17003
>the best playable Servant
you seem to be confused, caster's identity was Tamamo-no-Mae.
>> No. 17021 [Edit]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Hat_Riot
>> No. 17026 [Edit]
>>17021

Fucking normals. I'll wear my straw hat when I damn well please
>> No. 17058 [Edit]
When angler fish reproduce, the male literally atrophies into a pair of gonads attached to the female.
>> No. 17064 [Edit]
>>17058

Sounds a lot like some h-games I've played
>> No. 17152 [Edit]
I learned about Superman Prime.

Wow, I've got to say that they've made Superman too OP. He's basically a Haruhi at that point. Hell, even manga artists don't usually go that far. And this is after learning that Iron man can control machines with his mind and other shit like that.
>> No. 17245 [Edit]
File 134870006333.jpg - (111.77KB , 978x381 , corm.jpg )
17245
I found out that I like corm.
>> No. 17252 [Edit]
>>17245
I can't believe people still remember that.
>> No. 17255 [Edit]
By a clever divide-and-conquer algorithm, you can calculate the parity of an n-bit word by only log2(n) xors. Here's how: shift the word right by n/2 bits, and xor it with the rightmost bits of the original word, yielding a word of only n/2 bits and the same parity. Then repeat this step until only 1 bit is left, which is the parity in question.

Post edited on 27th Sep 2012, 6:37am
>> No. 17262 [Edit]
>>17255
Trying too hard.
>> No. 17389 [Edit]
Brazilian dictator Getúlio Vargas deported the Jewish wife of one of his political enemies to Nazi Germany, where she died in a concentration camp. Kind of impressive in its depravity.
>> No. 17394 [Edit]
>>17389
IIRC it was a bit more complicated. Olga was born in Germany or some eastern european country and a communist activist, with soviet training/backing, while in Europe and later in Brazil.
For that, the Reich was after her. Then her cover in Brazil was blown and she was deported more as a gift to Germany than anything else, since at the time Brazil wasn't aligned to any side but was on quite friendly terms with the nazi-fascist regimes of the axis.
Still cruel, as IIRC she was pregnant at the time, but that she was Prestes' wife was more a fortunate coincidence than Vargas primary motivation for deporting her.

And it's really questionable if the current strict policy of not deporting international criminals, brazilian or otherwise, is any better than handing people out as gifts.
>> No. 17397 [Edit]
Schenker's analysis of music is based on the idea of a number of differents layers of hierarchical importance, from surface to essence, that are possible to deduct through a process of reduction of the harmonic units so as to reach a point in which the few remaining notes and passages relate to each other in a strict contrapunctual manner. It has the analytical purpose to find contrapunctual relations between the most important notes, the fundamental points of certain works and highest of the hierarchical notes, so as to be able to fully understand the correlation that happens under the surface appearance that a work may have.

Post edited on 4th Oct 2012, 9:05am
>> No. 17399 [Edit]
>>17389


Incidentally he also persecuted german, italian and japanese immigrants in Brazil on basis that they were "bringing fascism" to the country
>> No. 17402 [Edit]
>>17003
I technically learned this today. Few more bits about everyone's favorite mad Emperor - well, not most folks, but still...

Nero had people bring in snow from the nearby mountain because...well, he really liked snow ("That's what we call job creation").

Killed his sister after he asked her to have sex with him, simply because it would have been an extremely awkward dinner.

He also had the late 50's (this is the 0050's we're talking about, remember) equivalent of a crazy homeless man take the throne for a day, and forced people to recognize the bum as the emperor - even putting the crown on him.

And last but not least, he built a floating city, just to prove he could. That is, floating on the water. He had to burn it because it started to smell like a dock and would "offend the mainland".

And then the fires in Rome started, and people blamed him. He ran away to a villa, where he forced one of his allies to kill him because he couldn't do it himself.

What a freak.
>> No. 17403 [Edit]
>>17402
Sounds like a pretty fun guy to be around.
>> No. 17404 [Edit]
>>17402
Sounds like what I might do if empowered.
>> No. 17408 [Edit]
>>17402
I don't know, but I feel as though his actions are completely justified. I probably would've done the same as him just because I could.
>> No. 17411 [Edit]
ZUN originally planned to make Myouren (Byakuren's brother) the last boss of UFO. He scrapped the idea after thinking that it would be too weird to have a male boss in Touhou.
>> No. 17412 [Edit]
>>17411
I agree with him
>> No. 17471 [Edit]
There are very good cheap, powerful, small single-board computers. I wanted to design a computer for myself, now I don't have to.
>> No. 17472 [Edit]
>>17471
I've heard a bit about those. I'd get one if I could ever think of a good use for it, but I'm not very creative.
>> No. 17525 [Edit]
>>17522
that's a bit less likely....in some cases. I could see limited naval engagements with China/Taiwan or China/Japan...but its called off bwfore it gets too bad. Remember that recently the chinese and taiwanese navies threw waterhoses at each other
>> No. 17526 [Edit]
File 134980330697.jpg - (283.98KB , 1920x1080 , ss (2012-10-09 at 06_18_54).jpg )
17526
ab(a-b) + bc(b-c) + ca(c-a)
= -(a-b)(b-c)(c-a)
>> No. 17530 [Edit]
>>17512
>>17525
Please no politics.

AMD's second-generation Bulldozer CPU microarchitecture, code-named Piledriver, should come out soon.
I need to build a new computer for rendering and other CPU-intensive tasks and I am considering getting an AMD CPU for the first time.

Post edited on 9th Oct 2012, 11:22am
>> No. 17532 [Edit]
I learned how to make logic gates with just diodes
>> No. 17553 [Edit]
>>17532
I thought you said "with just dildos" for a second.
>> No. 17557 [Edit]
>>17530
EVERYTHING is politics....
>> No. 17558 [Edit]
>>17557
you are!
>> No. 17559 [Edit]
>>17553
I giggled.
>> No. 17560 [Edit]
>>17557
yeah, and I can tell its election time because Americans have filled comments of every Youtube video with their ridiculous political debates
>> No. 17565 [Edit]
>>17560
TOHNO-CHAN 2012!

I'm a cute loli and I approve this message.
>> No. 17567 [Edit]
>>17557
that's why everything sucks
>> No. 17570 [Edit]
Why do people dislike politics so much? I love political discussions and it's a shame /tc/ is so strict about it. I think we could have interesting and civilized discussions.
>> No. 17571 [Edit]
>>17570
Everywhere else talks about that shit and I want to have one getaway. There's plenty of other websites out there if you want to talk about that kind of thing
>> No. 17574 [Edit]
There's a cool "starfield" effect on Tohno-chan's 404 pages.
>> No. 17575 [Edit]
>>17574

I noticed that a while ago. The sudden music spooked me
>> No. 17577 [Edit]
>>17574
Is it really slow for anyone else? It works fine when my browser's out of focus, but slows to 1-2 FPS when in focus.
>> No. 17579 [Edit]
>>17577
yeah it's definitely faster if I have another window open
>> No. 17583 [Edit]
>>17570
Political discussions are completely pointless because nobody who "debates" the subject will ever even accept an opposing point of view, let alone change their own. The best part is that nobody on either side has even a fraction of a clue what they're talking about. They don't even understand what they vehemently (and angrily) support. Such silliness has no place on TC.
>> No. 17587 [Edit]
>>17583
That's not true. Political discussions are about arguments and countering them. Part of arguing is also understanding opposite arguments. Perhaps they won't accept opposite view, because nobody needs to accept something if they don't want, but there is still winner on arguments.

I understand one point because political discussions usually end up repeat itself again and again. That's why I think tc would be good place because old discussions are archived.
>> No. 17590 [Edit]
>>17587

It's like you're almost admitting that political discussions are discussion for the sake of a discussion.
>> No. 17593 [Edit]
If someone is not stupid, he is a dumbass.
>> No. 17598 [Edit]
>>17590
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean. Obviously political discussion is just one topic of discussion, like we talk about anime, dreams, movies, internet, cars etc. I enjoy different kind of discussions because they can be informative and give me something to think about.

Sorry about off-topic. I just have never understood why political discussion is forbidden in /tc/.
>> No. 17600 [Edit]
A shortwave radio transmission has been continuously broadcasted from an abandoned military base in Russia. Nobody knows why, or who does it, or what it really is. It is an on and off buzzer that seems to be sitting in front of a microphone, and once in a while names and numbers are said into the microphone, and conversations have been heard in the background.

If you are alone at night listen to it on a live stream. It's called UVB-76.
>> No. 17607 [Edit]
>>17587
>but there is still winner on arguments.

No. Just no. The point is that both sides will always consider themselves the "winner" by default. I don't care how solid the points you present are or how eloquently you make them out; the bottom line is that they're falling on the deaf ears of people that refuse to believe or accept anything other than what they already believe. These discussions always end up devolving into glorified "ur dumb" or "that's not true, [x] is lying/[x] made that up" arguments, regardless of where the discussion takes place.

There are political discussions everywhere. There are other slow forums/boards out there where you can find them, if, for some reason I can't comprehend, you'd want to. Just please keep them out of TC.
>> No. 17612 [Edit]
>>17598
I think its partially because internet arguments are almost always also insult-flinging fights (tohno-chan unfortunately being no exception) and partially because nobody hee is a political expert who can read evidence and understand it.
>> No. 17614 [Edit]
Most of the reasons I've seen why political discussion shouldn't be allowed seem as though they can be applied to just about any topic.
>> No. 17615 [Edit]
Why the hell is it so important to you to discuss political shit on an anime-centric hobby/shut-in imageboard. Take it somewhere else
>> No. 17616 [Edit]
>>17600
I already knew of this station, tried to listen to it again, but sadly I got no signal
>> No. 17618 [Edit]
I learned about the side-effects of extended sensory deprivation. I would like the bizarre thoughts and hallucinations but I am depressed and anxious enough as it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_deprivation
>> No. 17624 [Edit]
Found out times passes A LOT faster when you don't interact with other human beings all day.

I haven't seen my family in three days and I feel like only a couple of hours have passed since then.
>> No. 17631 [Edit]
>>17624
Yeah, it can really mess up your sense of time. I like it, though.
>> No. 17656 [Edit]
Most cool indie/punk bands from America, that are "underground" (>10000 listeners on last.fm) have an unreleased EP of some kind. It's like it's fucking mandatory to be ashamed of something you recorded.

Epigenetics (little things of protein that wrap around certain genes or something) prevent us from having 6th toes and shit.
>> No. 17686 [Edit]
The kid who played Dewey on Malcolm in the Middle is 21 now. I feel fucking ancient.
>> No. 17691 [Edit]
Floating point numbers can behave weird. On one hand, +0 == -0, despite they are represented as different bit patterns, since their signs differ. On the other hand, NaN != NaN, because NaN is not equal to anything, even itself.
>> No. 17695 [Edit]
>>17691
I don't see how that's weird. It's pretty basic stuff.
>> No. 17834 [Edit]
File 135067893129.jpg - (126.31KB , 386x335 , United%20States%20Postal%20Service.jpg )
17834
The second-highest paid official in the U.S. Government (after the President) is the Postmaster General.
>> No. 17835 [Edit]
The United States allows its citizens to become stateless by renouncing their US citizenship. This is apparently an unusual policy.
Obvious disclaimer: don't even think about doing so, being stateless is an incredibly problematic legal situation.
>> No. 17838 [Edit]
>>17835
Along these lines, to gain citizenship in Japan you must renounce your previous citizenship. However, the US does not accept renounced citizenship unless you schedule an appointment with the ambassador. So technically you could gain citizenship in Japan (where they will recognise you only have one citizenship and send you letters to ask you to renounce your old one) and the US will basically say "You don't mean it, everyone wants to be American!"
>> No. 17839 [Edit]
>>17835
Sometimes I'd like to renounce my citizenship, it would be easier to vanish off the world that way
>> No. 17840 [Edit]
>>17839
That doesn't sound right. If you renounce citizenship, you'll be one of the few people who have that on their record, whereas if you keep it, you'll be just another citizen among millions of others.
>> No. 17841 [Edit]
Tomatoes are related to nightshade. Because of this, people in the 1800s thought they were poisonous.
>> No. 17843 [Edit]
>>17840
Guess so. Seems there is no way they would leave me alone
>> No. 17849 [Edit]
>>17843
It's like using tor for anonymity. No one knows where you're from, where you get your internet and so on, but most will just assume you're a criminal. In that sense you're better off just going about it normally, more or less - you'll be just another face, or just another ip. This train of thought isn't always true, but it's something to keep in mind.
>> No. 17852 [Edit]
At 3.44 on the Pauling scale, oxygen is actually the element with the second highest electronegativity value. As is probably obvious, the only element which surpasses it is flourine at 3.98 on the scale.

I like to post uncommon, useless, and irrelevant shit in the science and mathematics field because I'm insecure about my own intellect and it makes me sound "smart".

Post edited on 19th Oct 2012, 10:49pm
>> No. 17853 [Edit]
>>17852
It's kind of like socializing on shitbookin public - more often than not it's for show, as is my understanding of it; I wouldn't know personally for obvious reasons. It seems effective enough, none the less.
>> No. 17855 [Edit]
>>17853
What sucks about shitbookis that it tends to pressurize users into regressing back to high school mentality. It's as if the whole thing is one big popularity contest over who leads the most exciting lives, who has the most friends etc.
>> No. 17858 [Edit]
>>17849
Yeah your better off hiding in plain sight under the disguise of just another normal person. That's how I go about my life for the most part to avoid shit. You're fucked either way especially if you are as distant as it gets from being normal to the point of being hated by most, but whatever you are that is so hate worthy being like a ghost in a crowd of people is safer.

>>17855
Everyone I ever been around that has a shitbook account has done absolutely nothing useful with it. It's either used for entertainment, to stir up drama with friends, to harass people, or to see what some family member you don't give 2 shits about who only makes you mad is up to. I have honestly not once in my life seen someone using it for anything useful besides setting up a business or event page on it.
>> No. 17867 [Edit]
>>17852
Oxygen being less electronegative than fluorine is pretty basic chemistry.
>> No. 17872 [Edit]
>>17867
I was making a point about oxygen's position as #2 more than its relation to flourine, but alright.
>> No. 17874 [Edit]
>>17855
>>17853
>>17858
I use it to talk to people from conventions and my "job". Also, a lot of websites and forums allow you to log in using shitbookto comment on things
>> No. 17884 [Edit]
The term "studio gangstas" refer to rappers who spit a hard game, but can't back up they words on tha streets.
>> No. 17887 [Edit]
Bad ass mechas are usually too OP for multiplayer.
>> No. 17888 [Edit]
>>17884
Added to my mental ebonics database.
>> No. 17962 [Edit]
File 135112808736.jpg - (863.66KB , 1850x3272 , Jacques_Tits_%282008%29.jpg )
17962
There is a prominent Belgian mathematician by the name of Jacques Tits (pictured). He has had several mathematical concepts named after him, including "Tits buildings," the "Tits alternative," and the "Tits group."
>> No. 17964 [Edit]
>>17962
He's the Tits.
>> No. 17974 [Edit]
 
"All by Myself" is a power ballad written and performed by Eric Carmen in 1975.

The verse is based on the second movement (Adagio Sostenuto) of Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Opus 18.

wiki

>> No. 18081 [Edit]
File 135153610668.jpg - (150.33KB , 847x462 , BifYX.jpg )
18081
This, I didn't know.
>> No. 18083 [Edit]
>>18081
I wish they'd pay me for being an otaku
>> No. 18118 [Edit]
>>18083
But then we wouldn't be NEET.
>> No. 18151 [Edit]
This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion
>> No. 18153 [Edit]
Markets are Efficient if and Only if P = NP.
>> No. 18158 [Edit]
Yukihiro Matsumoto is a mormon.
>> No. 18262 [Edit]
File 135216438996.png - (4.65KB , 539x252 , A440.png )
18262
The current musical standard of tuning middle A to 440 Hz was established by a little-known clause of the Treaty of Versailles, which coincidentally had a total of 440 clauses.

Apparently, it took "the war to end all wars" to finally get musicians to agree on a standard concert pitch. Typical.
>> No. 18263 [Edit]
File 135216657960.jpg - (106.58KB , 430x673 , TablaMIDI.jpg )
18263
>>18262
Yup. And this is the result of it.

Post edited on 5th Nov 2012, 5:57pm
>> No. 18430 [Edit]
File 135286942139.jpg - (22.39KB , 372x347 , space-jam-need.jpg )
18430
I learned that the official websites for both the Dole/Kemp presidential campaign and the film Space Jam are still up, and haven't been updated since 1996:

http://www.dolekemp96.org/main.htm

http://www2.warnerbros.com/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

It's like the world's kitschiest archaeological dig.
>> No. 18433 [Edit]
>>18430
I remember finding the space jam site a few months ago, old websites are cool. This is why everyone should use this board's Awesome theme
>> No. 18434 [Edit]
>>18430
I'm surprised they didn't just stop renewing their domain or paying for the hosting or something like that.
>> No. 18437 [Edit]
>>18434
Thats cause its hosted off the same domain as the actual warner bro site
>> No. 18443 [Edit]
>>18433

Yeah, I think we had a thread about old sites on web and someone mentioned that there. I remember visiting it myself.
>> No. 18480 [Edit]
Today I learned that I look just like the chick from Dolores Clairbone. The fat woman's daughter.

Shit's fucked up.
>> No. 18699 [Edit]
Apparently a rooster crowing at night is a sign of bad luck.
>> No. 18710 [Edit]
>>18699
I'm fucked then
>> No. 18739 [Edit]
>>18710
The only reason I know is because I heard it yesterday and wondered why a rooster would do that at night.

Yesterday was fucking awful.
>> No. 19006 [Edit]
I learned that you can control which way the snow falls on the front page by using the mouse.
>> No. 19007 [Edit]
>>19006

it also collects at the bottom, and if you shrink the window it collects faster
>> No. 19008 [Edit]
The snow drops are actually full stops.
>> No. 19022 [Edit]
>>19008
Full stops that stay on my boards and images~
>> No. 19509 [Edit]
The speed of 'push' is not instantaneous as we naturally assume in everyday life becuase everything around us is so small it's not noticeable, but the information actually travels at around the speed of sound. a simple demonstration of this would be an extended slinky being dropped. There's a noticeable delay in the time the information of it being dropped travels from the top though all the coils to the bottom.
>> No. 19510 [Edit]
Domesticated dogs understand that human pointing is referent to an object being pointed to. Feral dogs don't.
>> No. 19580 [Edit]
Déjà vu is caused by a mixup in how data is received and processed by the brain, it's just a very tiny delay between experiencing something and logging that information that makes us think we've already experienced the event.
>> No. 19582 [Edit]
The Internet contains more than 6 million terabytes of information and doubles every 5 years, and the information would collectively weigh about as much as a tiny grain of sand.
>> No. 19722 [Edit]
>>19582
>the information would collectively weigh about as much as a tiny grain of sand.

What? How do you weigh information?
>> No. 19725 [Edit]
>>19722
What's the smallest possible particle that can have at least 2 different configurations( e.g. positive/negative)?

Use that as binary. Take all the World's information and see how much binary code it would take to express it all.


...probably...
>> No. 19726 [Edit]
>>19722
Electrons have mass, even if incredibly minuscule and electrons are used to charge floating gate transistors to create binary.
>> No. 19727 [Edit]
>>19726

That's some pretty specious reasoning, but alright, I won't belabor it.
>> No. 19733 [Edit]
>>19726
>Electrons have mass
Do they? I thought they were mass-less like photons. But I have really no idea what I'm talking about. Anyone fluent enough on particle physics around here to clear this up?
>> No. 19734 [Edit]
>>19733
Yeah they do, although it is pretty small. It might be confusing because for the purposes of high school people usually assume they have no mass because they're much less heavier tahn protons and neutrons.
>> No. 19736 [Edit]
File 135686186241.jpg - (29.03KB , 400x169 , deja-vu-matrix.jpg )
19736
>>19580
That's what they want you to believe.
>> No. 19743 [Edit]
>>19726
I also assume that the guy is talking about the combined mass of the electrons that form the information. But it doesn't really make any sense to consider it the mass of the information; the electrons mean nothing by themselves without the support structures that they are contained in. It's like weighing the information in a book by the combined weight of all the ink; without the pages the ink is printed on to maintain the distribution of the ink, the ink means nothing.

This is probably a simplification, or perhaps even entirely wrong, but I believe the terms used to differentiate this sort of thing are "medium" and "base." The medium (ink) is arranged in such a way that it encodes information, and the base (paper) provides support to retain that arrangement.

Or, we could be talking about the data stored on hard disks, which of course is stored by magnetic fields. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this, but the way i see it, measuring the "mass" of a magnetic field makes even less sense than the mass of the electrons stored in a transistor. A material is given a magnetic field by manipulating what is already there (by aligning the spin of the electrons), rather than by adding or removing something.

From what I understand, the disks inside of an HDD are not composed entirely a ferromagnetic material, but instead are composed of a film of ferromagnetic material deposited on a non-magnetic disk which provides physical support. Since it is the arrangement of the medium which encodes information, I suppose that the film could be considered the medium, and the disk it is deposited on to be the base. So if we were weighing information by weighing the medium, I suppose the mass of the information would be the mass of that film.
>> No. 19797 [Edit]
File 135698409621.jpg - (273.12KB , 2644x2730 , CNy9J.jpg )
19797
This will be on the midterm.
>> No. 19845 [Edit]
1/998001

= 1 / (999^2)

= 0.000001002003004...996997999000001002...
>> No. 19855 [Edit]
Just learned that I can give my 10 year old PVR the capabilities of a tivo, well I already knew I could, but now I know how.
>> No. 19919 [Edit]
File 13575889714.jpg - (103.59KB , 736x447 , ISBN%2017x31.jpg )
19919
I learned how to read barcodes. Also learned that the last digit of an ISBN is a sort of checksum.
>> No. 19920 [Edit]
>>19919
>I learned how to read barcodes
the actual bars or just the numbers below?
>> No. 19921 [Edit]
>>19919
Are you a computer?
>> No. 19922 [Edit]
>>19920

The bars.

>>19921

Aren't we all, in the end?
>> No. 19996 [Edit]
Money buys happiness for up to $75,000 a year in the US, after which point it has diminishing returns. Marriage gives you ~$100,000 a year. $267,000 (163,424 euros) is the monetary amount of pleasure gained from being told "I love you" for the first time.
>> No. 20002 [Edit]
>>19996

Citation please
>> No. 20004 [Edit]
>>19996
I saw a video about that just the other day.
not sure if I believe it though.
>> No. 20005 [Edit]
>>19996
The first part seems pretty obvious (having enough money to not have to stress about it would obviously make you less miserable). But a source on the rest would be pretty interesting.
>> No. 20008 [Edit]
>>20002
>>20005

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/dont-indulge-be-happy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jul/19/victoria-coren-brainjuicer-lottery-study

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/10/magazine/magbr_valentines_loveandmoney_0502/index.htm

Post edited on 11th Jan 2013, 9:48pm
>> No. 20052 [Edit]
>>20008

Interesting, thanks. Of course, the methodology of those kinds of studies is incredibly suspect to begin with, and not helped by the sensationalistic way they're usually reported.
>> No. 20226 [Edit]
As an archer, this image enrages me.
>> No. 20227 [Edit]
>>20226

Don't worry, it's one of those mistakes that you only ever make once. Similar to standing behind a fisherman casting his pole, or cooking bacon with an uncovered pan without wearing pants, or painting for an extended amount of time in a non-ventilated room without a mask.
>> No. 20228 [Edit]
>>20226
I hadn't even noticed it was an archery pic. I agree with what >>20227 said, though.
>> No. 20229 [Edit]
>>20227
Why is it that only the last comparison would lead to your death?
>> No. 20232 [Edit]
>>20229
it mainly leads to coughing up paint and your snot turning the color of the paint you were using
>> No. 20238 [Edit]
>>20232
That sounds pretty cool, I oughta try it someday
>> No. 20245 [Edit]
File 135908168683.gif - (3.49KB , 364x228 , BenfordsLaw_800.gif )
20245
Today I learned about Benford's Law, which states that for certain data sets (particularly those which span several degrees of magnitude, such as national populations and stock prices), the distribution of leading digits is on a log scale, so that e.g. 30% of the data begin with a '1' and 5% begin with a '9'. This is true regardless of what base you use.

It's one of those weird statistical facts that seems counterintuitive at first, but starts to make sense when you think about it.
>> No. 20248 [Edit]
>>20245
>seems counterintuitive at first, but starts to make sense when you think about it.
Is there a proper mathematical proof for it? I ask because, with Numbers Theory, you can prove such kind of apparently weird results; e.g. there is a proof for that any given integer number is divisible by 3 if and only if the sum of its digits is so (say: 3857541 MUST be divisible by 3)...

http://www.apronus.com/math/threediv.htm
>> No. 20254 [Edit]
I realized that I'm pansexual. Does that count as learning something new?
>> No. 20257 [Edit]
>>20254
Oh. A hipster homo, cool.
>> No. 20259 [Edit]
>>20257
How does that make me a hipster?
>> No. 20260 [Edit]
>>20259
It's like being bisexual, but different, except not.

I think I'm just in a bad mood, sorry for saying that.
>> No. 20261 [Edit]
>>20260
Well I know what it is. I just don't see what is hipster about it.
>> No. 20263 [Edit]
>>20257
Hipsters go with the term bisexual since that is as far as their vocabulary goes. Fuck those retards.

Pansexual means that >>20254-chan is willing to stick his wiener in anything as long as he finds it attractive or just wants to.
>> No. 20264 [Edit]
>>20263
>is willing to stick his wiener in anything as long as he finds it attractive or just wants to

Not necessarily, it means you're fine with whatever is between someone's legs. As long as you love the person, you don't care what they have.
>> No. 20265 [Edit]
I'm pantsu-sexual
>> No. 20266 [Edit]
>>20265
Haha!
>> No. 20268 [Edit]
>>20264
so hows that different from bisexual?
>> No. 20269 [Edit]
>>20268
Bisexuals are people attracted to both males and females. Pansexuals are people who are fine with anything as long as they like the person.
>> No. 20271 [Edit]
>>20269
But there are only two genders, so there's no difference between being bi-sexual or omni-sexual. That's why I called it hipster, because it's taking a concept and putting some arbitrary spin on it in what seems like an attempt to feel different and unique, when it's really just the same old thing.

Whatever floats your boat, though. I'm not trying to come off as an asshole, but I have a feeling I am.
>> No. 20272 [Edit]
>>20271
The crowd that prefers confusing and convoluted inside terminology for human sexuality doesn't think there are two genders. See >>>/tumblr/ for the latest in that (warning: may induce allergic reactions, loss of interest in Freud-grade "science", and warts on your dick).

Though I have to wonder how these pansexuals would like dickgirls, dudes with multiple (and/or man-sized) penises, or castrated dudes.
>> No. 20273 [Edit]
>>20271
There's more than just two genders. You could just google it though. I feel like this discussion has gotten a bit off topic.
>> No. 20274 [Edit]
>>20269
Sounds to me like 'Pansexuals' are Bisexuals who don't want to be called Bisexuals.
Do you mean to say Bisexuals aren't fine with any gender as long as they like the person? or do Pansexuals include things that aren't male or female, such as animals?
>> No. 20275 [Edit]
>>20274
Why not just google it?
>> No. 20276 [Edit]
>>20273
>>20275
Why don't you participate in the discussion instead of just referring us back to google? I understand that there are mountains of text arguing on your behalf elsewhere on the internet, but why can't I just talk to you about it?
>> No. 20277 [Edit]
>>20273
>I feel like this discussion has gotten a bit off topic.
Well, this is /ot/, after all
>> No. 20278 [Edit]
Kill me
>> No. 20279 [Edit]
>>20276
Because I'm too lazy to type a mountain of text and google would be quicker.

>>20277
This thread wasn't about sexuality.
>> No. 20280 [Edit]
>>20272
tumblr was one of the first things I thought of when I went to see what pansexual meant. It doesn't really bother me, though. I think that there's a lot of social stigma attached to words surrounding sexuality, like bisexual in this instance, and these people are just trying to feel comfortable in their own skin. If, for whatever reason, that means they have to pedantize themselves with their increasingly obscure and redundant language, so be it. They'll probably either grow out of it eventually, or mostly continue to congregate among their niche groups of other like-minded folk, without ever forcing the general public to really acknowledge (or even become aware of) their strange lingo.

That's the tumblr people I'm talking about, by the way; not Panonymous here.

Post edited on 26th Jan 2013, 2:26pm
>> No. 20286 [Edit]
>>20280
>Panonymous
I'm not sure if that's an insult directed at me or not, but fuck that's clever.
>> No. 20287 [Edit]
Kansas has yet to ratify the 21st Amendment. Alcohol is not illegal in Kansas but is tightly regulated.
(The 21st Amendment is the one that ends federal prohibition of alcohol)
>> No. 20288 [Edit]
I've found out that I have collected 10,000 H pictures through my obsessive hoarding of these pictures. I guess that I don't really have a right to complain about harddrive space with me doing this.
>> No. 20291 [Edit]
My birthdate in MDDYYYY format, 9211987, is a prime number
>> No. 20350 [Edit]
Apophenia has been defined as the experience of seeing meaningful patterns or connections in random or meaningless data.
>> No. 20413 [Edit]
 
The voice samples heard in the attached song's buildup were taken from the takeoff of STS-131, one of the last Space Shuttle missions.
>> No. 21266 [Edit]
File 136435450138.jpg - (160.86KB , 706x1024 , 706px-Mechanical_sankyo_pachinko_machine.jpg )
21266
Pachinko is that game in a vertical case where you launch a ball with a flipper and try to get it to bounce off a bunch of pins to land in a cup.
I'd heard the word plenty and knew it was some kind of Japanese mechanical betting attraction, but I never would have made the connection between it and what I thought of as a kid's game.
>> No. 21267 [Edit]
>>21266
I wonder why they don't have those in American casinos...
>> No. 21268 [Edit]
File 136436106273.jpg - (53.25KB , 1024x576 , image.jpg )
21268
>>21267
I know, right?

I was in Las Vegas recently and they didn't even have one MahJong den. Go figure.
>> No. 21271 [Edit]
>>21268
pachinko is no more complicated than a slot machine. you can't compare it to MahJong, jackass.
>> No. 21275 [Edit]
>>21271
Don't be so belligerent.
It was merely an observation. You'd think the former gaming capital of the world would have such things. Especially since it's such a hot destination for Asian tourists.

There is a sushi bar in my city that has a pachhinko machine. I am tempted to play it but it requires a yen piece so I wonder if it's for decoration.
>> No. 21277 [Edit]
>>21275
I think the problem with localized MahJong besides how complicated it is to learn, the US already has a completely different version of the game with the same name and tiles which plays more like solitaire.
>> No. 21288 [Edit]
Inuyasha and Ranma ½ are by the same mangaka. I don't really know much about either of them, but they occupied the same vague impression space in my head.
>> No. 21304 [Edit]
>>21277

Even if you ignore that stupid matching game that uses mahjong tiles there's a US variant of mahjong (a pretty bad one in my opinion) that uses jokers and whatnot. Riichii itself is just a variant of 'vanilla' Chinese mahjong.

If anything I'd expect Zung Jung to have more of a chance in the US but 'more of a chance' means like 0,0001% more, in the end the variant is rather meaningless, it's just not gonna happen.
>> No. 22502 [Edit]
The danes have an incredibly silly and confusing way to count.
>> No. 22554 [Edit]
Fireflies live to be one week old only. They're born, they grow, they glow, they reproduce, they die.
>> No. 23283 [Edit]
File 138533463753.gif - (7.21KB , 480x600 , satiean1.gif )
23283
I learned a bit more about Satie's style of composition on some major works (Ogives, Gymnopedies, Sarabandes, Vexations), which I laughably dream of being able to apply someday.
>> No. 23284 [Edit]
File 138533491253.jpg - (87.89KB , 728x400 , Download-Windows-XP-s-Pinball-Game-for-Windows-7-a.jpg )
23284
>>21266
>>21267
isn't it the same thing than Pinball?

Post edited on 24th Nov 2013, 3:17pm
>> No. 23285 [Edit]
>>23284
no
>> No. 23286 [Edit]
I have one of these chairs that go up and down.
I noticed that, lately, it has been slowly going down on its own.
I was told that this is because of change in temperature and so my chair is fine.
>> No. 23289 [Edit]
>>23283
Satie's compositional characteristics are not really on his harmonic progressions.
>> No. 23292 [Edit]
>>23284
yes, but the weebs will never admit it.
>> No. 23299 [Edit]
>>23292
Pinball actually requires skill.
>> No. 23303 [Edit]
>>23299

So does pachinko.
>> No. 23304 [Edit]
>>23292
>>23303
Pachinko is shooting a ton of balls into the machine hoping at least a few land in the sweet spots. unlike with pinball you have no control over it once it's in the machine and you can't keep the balls in play. In pinball you have flippers that allow you to manipulate the balls and keep them in play indefinitely. With some skill you can determine which direction the balls will go by using proper timing on the flippers. The only skill involved with Pachinko is figuring out how to tilt the building and replace parts in the machine without the casino manager not noticing. They also differ a bit in designs. Pachinko machines will typically have a forest of pins to scramble the ball's path and have little to nothing to keep the balls in play compared to the bounce pads and other devices you'd find in pinball machines. In general pachinko machines are typically vertical while pinball machines are more horizontal.
>> No. 23305 [Edit]
>>23304
> The only skill involved with Pachinko is figuring out how to tilt the building and replace parts in the machine without the casino manager not noticing.

I want Fukumoto to do a pinball manga.
>> No. 23800 [Edit]
Liszt was Wagner's father in law. The more you know.
>> No. 23801 [Edit]
A minor chord is just a major chord with a flat third.
>> No. 23805 [Edit]
>>23801
*a minor third.
>> No. 23833 [Edit]
A set together with a binary function defined on it is called a magma.
>> No. 23874 [Edit]
Pineapples don't grow on trees. I feel cheated.
>> No. 23877 [Edit]
File 139612487790.jpg - (237.11KB , 1200x1600 , wild pineapple.jpg )
23877
>>23874
I take it you don't know that there is such a thing as red pineapples as well.
>> No. 23880 [Edit]
I've been trying to fix my ssh login to a server for the past three months.

I learned today that I was simply mistyping my name. I did not notice this for three months.
>> No. 23898 [Edit]
I learned how to skin and gut a squirrel the other day. It's something I've always wanted to try doing, as I've never killed and eaten anything other than fish, and the idea of doing it was way more disgusting than the reality. That said, unless I really need the meat I won't bother doing it again, it's a lot of work for not much nourishment. The flavor is okay, blander than what I was expecting but inoffensive at least.

I also learned yesterday that the instrument capable of producing the lowest pitch is a fucking huge pipe organ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_Hall_Auditorium_Organ). It's capable of producing a 4hz frequency, which is like C-2. It's longest pipes are 64 feet!
>> No. 23902 [Edit]
File 139675459312.jpg - (69.39KB , 600x403 , 25張鮮為人知的希特勒畫作_25.jpg )
23902
I just learned that Hitler was actually a rather fine draughtsman and painter: his cityscapes were pretty good, all the most considering they were watercolor (a very difficult medium). The problem, apparently, was that he couldn't draw people all that well, so he got discouraged from painting to better pursue a major in architecture. Psychologists, of course, have come with interpretations about that difference, but it's most likely bullshit derived from the simplistic historical satanization of his figure; on my account, I've drawn all my life and I've never been good with structures, but that doesn't make me a "building hater" or anything of the sort.
>> No. 23903 [Edit]
>>23801
Moreover: a (melodic) minor scale is just a major scale starting from the VI. That's why, say, Am is the relative minor of C: they have the very same notes, just in different order and octaves.
>> No. 23904 [Edit]
>>23903
A minor scale in its natural form has the same notes as its relative major scale both ascending and descending. A minor scale in its melodic form has the sixth and seventh degrees raised half a step to provide the existence of a half step leading tone to the tonic and to break the existence of a augmented second between the sixth and seventh degrees of the mode in ascending motion, and the same notes and the natural form in the descending motion. Make sure not to misuse the forms of the minor scales, as they serve different purposes and have striking differences.
>> No. 23905 [Edit]
File 139675725112.jpg - (44.85KB , 539x304 , 34734672365.jpg )
23905
>>23903
Here's a thing to help illustrate the subject at hand.
>> No. 23906 [Edit]
>>23905
Man, I remembered it wrong. Thanks.
>> No. 23928 [Edit]
Read an article based on research that suggests after the age of 24 we start to experience a decline in cognitive motor skills. Better start making an exit plan.
>> No. 23929 [Edit]
>>23928
25 is the new old for everything. I lost all faith in my body around that age too and now I only hope for the transhuman possibility of jumping out this sinking boat.
>> No. 23965 [Edit]
Kinder eggs, along with basically any food with a toy inside, are banned in the USA.
>> No. 23971 [Edit]
 
Apparently the technique for UFO catcher machines is not to grip and pick up the toy, but to use the clecnhing action of the arm to nudge it over the chute over a series of tries.
>> No. 23972 [Edit]
>>23971
I doubt this is an universal technique. The UFO catcher machines in my country maintain all prizes on a lower level when compared to the hole where you have to put them making it impossible to use the technique shown in the video to work.
>> No. 23973 [Edit]
>>23972
Yes, the toys I know here in Australia have a clear plastic barrier around the chute. Its not very fair especially considering that the soft toy costs less to make than it does to play. Actually picking up the toy is near impossible considering the weakness of the grip and the only way this is possible is by freaks of positioning e.g the arm got hooked on something, or something.
>> No. 23975 [Edit]
>>23973
>the only way this is possible is by freaks of positioning e.g the arm got hooked on something, or something
That, or you can bang the machine to the side, tilting it in a way that makes the prizes fall into the hole. Of course this is only possible if there are no attendants looking and if you are strong enough to tilt the machine.
>> No. 23979 [Edit]
>>23973
Also note that machines of chance are essentially slot machines with a final dexterity requirement. If there is no "easy solution," what actually happens is that the machine is programmed to pay out once in a set of tries, then either reset or continue the current set then reset. After playing the game "Stackers" constantly as a kid, the machine would always give out one win, if you played it properly, per 300 iterations. Or at least following that rule gave me consistent net wins, and they eventually changed it to where this no longer applied. Or maybe I was just lucky consistently for a period of time. The former seems more reasonable, though.
>> No. 23981 [Edit]
 
>>23979
No they actually are for a fact usually programed to pay out at set intervals.

"the technique for UFO catcher machines" is actually to not play them but rather watch other people play. wait for someone to win then count off how many times people play before the next win. you may want to do this two or three times just to make sure. after that wait for the next golden opportunity and play the machine at that point.
>> No. 23986 [Edit]
>>23979
I got to the top of a Stacker machine twice and it didn't let me win. I'm not good enough to get to the top every time. So jealous of people good enough to play till they win and get to the top almost every time. I want to win all the big prizes and sell them for money.
>> No. 24016 [Edit]
So apparently clitorises are real. I always just thought it was a porn myth or something.
And men have the same number of ribs as women - I thought they had two more on each side.
>> No. 24052 [Edit]
Today I learned that tohno rhymes with bono, mono, como, homo, promo, mafioso, photo, solo, polo, rococo, hobo, dodo, cocoa, modo, loco and logo among others.

Here are my poems, spoilered for artistic integrity:
Tohno is a hobo playing polo on a dodo for his promo.
Tohno drinks cocoa with a loco mafioso on a rococo.
Tohno is homo for bono with several photos but runs solo modo.
Como, Tohno, como...


Post edited on 20th May 2014, 11:39am
>> No. 24055 [Edit]
File 140064004873.jpg - (416.49KB , 1200x1600 , asdadas.jpg )
24055
I actually won something. It took me $10 though.
>> No. 24056 [Edit]
>>24055
Nice. The feeling of triumph of winning anything at those machines is worth more than any money
>> No. 24058 [Edit]
>>24056
I know. When I won I felt a rush I haven't felt for years. It felt great. But I wouldn't want to do it again.
>> No. 24330 [Edit]
I learned that that hummingbird.me website has a waifu/husbando option in the "about" section of people's profiles. I don't know what to think about this... That site looks like an anime themed social network and I don't particularly like it.
>> No. 24331 [Edit]
>>24330
they were giving those cards out @ ACEN and some peope IRL i know have those cards
>> No. 24451 [Edit]
Among the new top level domains is .moe.
Too bad I've already wasted my vanity domain allowance on a .みんな.
>> No. 24455 [Edit]
>>24330
How is that fundamentally different to Tohno Chan, a website where people socialise, talk about anime and also announce who their waifu is?
>> No. 24459 [Edit]
>>24455
For one it's not anonymous, and a social network circlejerk (ala Facebook) at its core. I assume the waifu option is just another shitty, casual "this is my current favorite character" kind of feature.
>> No. 24522 [Edit]
>>24520
You gotta bait better than that.
>> No. 24542 [Edit]
Baculum is a latin word that used to define a cudgel that was used, amongst other reasons, to beat slaves and children. It is used now as the term that defines the penis bone that some animals have, although absent in humans, which serves to auxiliate in erection during copula. These penis bones can sometimes be big enough to make a cudgel out of depending of the animal, especially because some are extremely hard and can be used as a bludgeon or club.
>> No. 24543 [Edit]
>>24542
This could be used as the opening quote to an H-game.
>> No. 24635 [Edit]
The first ever hentai OVA series was serialized starting in the 23rd of February, 1984, with the name of Lolita Anime. That same year had the start of another hentai OVA series, Cream Lemon, both originating from the same magazine.
>> No. 24648 [Edit]
WD Greens are far too slow to be used as OS drives.
>> No. 24711 [Edit]
Although I didn't exactly learn this today, I just remembered about this strange fact. Anyway, Doraemon is being shown on one of Disney's channels.
>> No. 24846 [Edit]
File 140789301467.png - (280.05KB , 452x710 , 1365656584147.png )
24846
I learned Robin Williams Died today...
>> No. 24850 [Edit]
whats more is they say he killed himself.
>> No. 24854 [Edit]
WD My Book external hard drives use hardware encryption even if you don't encrypt your data. So if you take the hard drive out of the enclosure, your data is fucked.

Seagate external hard drives require a special pentalobe screwdriver to open the enclosure, which was designed by the dark lord Satan himself.
>> No. 24855 [Edit]
>>24854
buy regular drives and external enclosures
>> No. 24857 [Edit]
>>24855
I do now. I found out while consolidating all my externals into one large enclosure. (In my previous case the GPU completely covered the SATA connectors so installing internals was a pain in the ass)
>> No. 25020 [Edit]
There's a natural cycle of blocking and freeing air passage on individual nasal passages.
I always thought I breathed mostly with one nostrill at a time because of sinusitis/rinitis and possibly deviated septum and all normal people always used both at the same time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle
>> No. 25022 [Edit]
>>25020
Wow, I've always had this and was always received with confusion when I explained it to people and asked them if they also had it. Good to know it's a natural thing.
>> No. 25023 [Edit]
>>25020
>>25022
It's very relieving to know this. Here I was thinking my nose was just always stuffy.
>> No. 25024 [Edit]
>>25020
I heard it's so you can smell better, for some scents the air has to go through the passsage slowly and for others it has to go more quickly.
>> No. 25262 [Edit]
They're releasing new 10 euro notes now.
>> No. 26303 [Edit]
File 142383380359.png - (153.46KB , 600x321 , pathways.png )
26303
Not something that i've learnt today, but it's something that i've learned very recently. Pic related
And, that the anatomy of migraines is not direct nerves damage, but inflamed blood vessels from some (excessively released) chemical that neurones release.
>> No. 26304 [Edit]
>>26303
(pic related is reward system)
>> No. 26305 [Edit]
>>26303
That's wonderful. It may be before the next century that we find a cure for normalcy.
>> No. 27218 [Edit]
There is a city in Australia called Eromanga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eromanga,_Queensland
>> No. 27221 [Edit]
>>27218

Looks like somebody watch Samumenco.
>> No. 27352 [Edit]
攻撃 (kougeki) means attack in Japanese
>> No. 27353 [Edit]
>>27352
You learn that the second you start playing rising storm, valkyria chronicles or any videogame that includes japs doing war stuff.
>> No. 28134 [Edit]
File 145066411095.jpg - (102.53KB , 845x846 , Ha_ha_wall_diagram.jpg )
28134
There's a type of wall called a Ha-ha wall. It's a wall built on a level below the overall ground level and combined with a pit so that it can offer an obstacle to outsiders while not blocking the view to the other side.
>> No. 28143 [Edit]
A randoseru is a backpack made from leather or leather-like synthetic material, most commonly used by elementary schoolchildren.

It was a tag in a doujin I was reading.
>> No. 28161 [Edit]
I learned that waka/iichan is back.

http://www.idlechan.net/
>> No. 28165 [Edit]
I learnt the difference between noir and neo-noir.

Noir was heavily dependent on the era it was released in. It was a time when overt sex and violence was forbidden in film and technological limitations prevented the presence of colour however it was these very restrictions that caused noir to have the impact that it did. With those restrictions lifted, violence and sex have to be much more overt to have the same emotional impact on today's desensitised audience than what was necessary for the audiences of the '40s.

Neo-noir is an attempt to create the same impact that noir did despite the technological and cultural changes that have occurred since the '40s. Some believe that noir to be an inimitable cultural phenomenon that will only ever exist within the bubble of time that was present during its creation. Others have continued to experiment with the neo-noir genre and prove otherwise.

Personally, after watching Chinatown, I can safely say that I don't get it. I'll probably need to watch it again to get it though. Preferably with subs since I seemed to have missed most of the dialogue.
>> No. 28167 [Edit]
Yesterday I learned that x64 Windows has only one HAL.DLL, because the x86_64 is so standardized that there's little configuring OEMs can do. x86 versions of Windows have a few HAL.DLLs for the inclusion or absence of stuff like APIC.

Today I learned there are 100% Animal Crossing speedruns. They average for 70 hours but the world record is 63 hours. And the runners don't take breaks.
>> No. 28921 [Edit]
It used to be that if you google 241543903 you get images of people sticking their heads in a freezer. Now googling 241543903 brings up images instructing people to google 241543903 to see images of people's heads in freezers.
>> No. 31657 [Edit]
I finally found something that explains in laymens terms why we consider time the 4th dimension, what a dimension really is, and what the dimensions 0-10 are. A dimension is really a way of measuring the location of something along a certain axis of displacement.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]