Beep Boop Bip
Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
BB Code
Captcha
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, CSS, EPUB, FLAC, FLV, GIF, JPG, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, RAR, TORRENT, TXT, WEBM, ZIP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 635 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 142432821584.jpg - (137.49KB , 542x351 , 1375210098208.jpg )
1268 No. 1268 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
When will VR be good enough for us to (sort of) be with our waifus?
7 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1425 [Edit]
>>1407
That's why I'm looking into advanced cardboard stuff until I get enough money to buy Vive/until they get out of beta. Still, not as advanced as GearVR, since phone+headset costs almost like Oculus.

I wonder what smartphone should I get having the cardboard VR in mind. Being a hikky I don't think it's a good idea investing a lot into a mobile device I would barely use for its primary tasks. At the same time I think that if I spend money at least I should get something that will be good for a while from now on.
Can't decide between LG G3 D855 and Nexus 5x, first one is cheaper, has better screen for VR and generally seems to pack a lot for its price, but is outdated, especially in terms of OS. The second has little memory on board (16 gb, won't even hold a movie in 3D), no card slot to compensate for that, low density 1080p screen, but it's the purest Android experience I can get and it looks quite neat (not that I'm going to show off to anyone, but I want to enjoy the looks of a device just as much as its functionality).
>> No. 1426 [Edit]
>>1425
I've tried out a google cardboard style headset with my smartphone. I even bought a vr-one and managed to make it work with my phone. Wasn't that great of an experience. It's neat but far from ideal. For one the image quality is pretty shit. my phone has a 1920 x 1080 screen but images were extremely pixelated because of how much you're zooming into it while having it take up your full range of view. It was less pixelated with the cardboard style headset but that's only because it wouldn't take up the full range of view and instead was like looking at a floating screen in front of you. Another issue is framrates and connectivity. Because you can't stream large amounts of data over wifi all that well you can expect -very- low frame rates. Even with a usb cable connected I'd have to drop settings extremely low just to get more than 10fps, and by low I mean like animated gifs you see that are so low in quality they look like color blobs. It depends on the kinda content you're trying to stream too. I've got a pretty decent PC and my phone isn't that bad, but that didn't seem to really matter, but Simplistic low demand games seemed to work 'okay' though. The most smooth experiences I had were the ones using content that was being played off the phone itself not streamed. Even then the pixelated image and possibly other factors made it tiring to use for extended periods. I tried using a virtual cinema to watch an episode of yuruyuri and I was only able to make it half way in before needing to stop because of head and eye pain. At this point I'm hoping I can get a job so I can buy a HTC. Using my phone gave me a nice idea of what VR can be like, but it's a very basic and rudimentary experience.
>> No. 1456 [Edit]
I fapped to Miku and Haku in VR two days ago using this: http://vrporn.com/waifu-sex-simulator-vr-1-4 It's based on MMD, using MMD models and animation, so it's like being in a MMD scene or video. I wasn't using cardboard or phone based VR, and I felt like I was really there with the character, so yes >>1268 VR is already good enough to at least let you feel like you're in the same physical space as your waifu.

Because the anime characters are life-scale in VR, the first thing I noticed was that the character's proportions were a bit unrealistic. Miku, or at least the Miku model in "Shy Miku", had really long legs, really small shoulders, and a small and skinny waist. Later on, when I got more used to the program and explored other scenes, the best part is getting really close to the character. That was definitely the most exciting part, getting close, and feeling that Miku is physically close while fapping to her.
>> No. 1457 [Edit]
>>1456
Although it seems like this is still in the early stages, I am watching it with extreme interest.

File 130374324176.jpg - (38.12KB , 500x500 , internet_freedom_457935[1].jpg )
462 No. 462 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [First 100 posts] [Last 50 posts]
This thread is computer/technology related, so /mt/ is probably the best place to post it.

Anyway, to the point. I've been hearing many rumours that the soon to come Windows 8 will have forced "Live integration", which means (you guessed it), forcing you to register on Live before being able to use the OS. From that moment on, I realized that Microsoft will either fail completely as a Software manufacturer or the oblivious masses will bend over. To my (almost expected) disappointment, it is the latter. The masses will accept this as they have done so far. I'm talking about the social networking shoved in people's faces everywhere. You can't go to a large website without seeing facebook and twitter links everywhere. Hell, even online gaming has turned into one big social network (see Steam, Xbox Live, etc.)

The question I pose is, what's next? Requirement to have your real name visible everywhere you post? Or maybe forced cloud computing? Web 2.0? Seems likely.

They're already putting tracking devices in smart phones:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/your-smartphone-spies-on-you-for-google-apple-20110425-1dta7.html

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2011/04/is-your-iphone-spying-on-you.html

And don't get me started on the backdoors they've put in proprietary software.

Well, this concludes my pointless post. Any thoughts?
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
407 posts and 46 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1443 [Edit]
>>1397
Nope. I'm still here. Somehow.
I just wish my predictions were all that came true. Instead, the reality is so much worse across the board than anything I could imagine in 2011.

Also, thread necromancing commence!
(´∀`∩)↑age↑(´∀`∩)↑age↑(´∀`∩)↑age↑

>> No. 1450 [Edit]
>>1443
A four year old thread that somehow has clung to life is so amazingly comfy.
>> No. 1451 [Edit]
>>1450
That's pretty much half the threads on this site you know.
>> No. 1454 [Edit]
Whats even scarier is that they are spying overseas. So if your using a computer made by an Eastern company, and your some guy over in Kenya using that computer using a Kenyan ISP, The States are still spying on you, even if the Kenyan government had no agreement with The States.

File 142613517951.jpg - (171.89KB , 600x800 , 0a8f265c6bf71dbcb43659ad64db782a.jpg )
1275 No. 1275 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Is your computer moe?
5 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1361 [Edit]
>>1276
Where can I get this voice pack?
>> No. 1416 [Edit]
>>1361
From buying the Premium version of Window 7 Jap edition.
https://youtu.be/qJ02u35sZ4c
>> No. 1439 [Edit]
File 146417748969.png - (679.44KB , 1600x1200 , desktop.png )
1439
>>1275
Yes it is.

Still haven't figured out the language.
>> No. 1440 [Edit]
>>1439
Nice

File 144825069512.png - (1.10KB , 521x29 , UP.png )
1365 No. 1365 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What's your current uptime? Longest?

Post edited on 22nd Nov 2015, 7:55pm
4 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1371 [Edit]
>>1370
How do you keep from restarting due to updates?
>> No. 1372 [Edit]
>>1371
I just changed the settings for the updates is all. I have it download the updates but don't install them until I say so. It's right in the control panel.
Mostly why I haven't upgraded to 10 yet, because that option isn't there anymore, and I don't want to "break" the system by disabling the update service entirely. It's kind of a petty reason but that combined with my laziness and apathy is enough to prevent me from upgrading.
>> No. 1394 [Edit]
Is it really good for the computer to be on for that long?

That being said I'm at 1 day 6 hours.
>> No. 1395 [Edit]
File 145465035764.png - (58.72KB , 775x344 , 80days_uptime.png )
1395
>>1394
No idea, but I've been keeping mine on for years, with plenty of power failures to make sure I don't keep my uptime. If it impacts it's lifetime at all, I'm sure it's very minimal. Just make sure you have good cooling.
I'd think the thing it would impact most is the hard drive, if anything. But of course that depends on what your machine is doing while idle.

File 131790105854.jpg - (19.37KB , 384x369 , stevejobs1984.jpg )
47 No. 47 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Technology-related, so I guess it goes here.

As some of you probably know by know, Steve Jobs died yesterday, October 5th. What road do you think Apple will take from now on?

I'm hoping for some modern successors to discontinued products from back in the day, such as the Apple III, or heck, even one of these compact Macintosh types (as seen in the picture). Though I have no idea what a modern version of those might even look like. Certainly not a box with a CRT screen on it.
13 posts and 4 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 62 [Edit]
>>1105
Is it because your country is unusually smart and/or informed, or were they all just tricked into another product?
>> No. 63 [Edit]
>>1106
Simply poor, so everyone uses PCs with pirated software.
>> No. 64 [Edit]
 
this video tells alot about apples main shitty defense league of userbase.
>> No. 1400 [Edit]
File 145534534264.png - (32.32KB , 508x287 , Apple-Iphone-logo.png )
1400
What a weird problem...
Setting the date to 1 January 1970 will brick your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

File 143102463998.jpg - (378.74KB , 3456x2304 , V5CFT7r.jpg )
1298 No. 1298 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
So I've heard with watercolor systems that the non-conductive liquids out there can eventually become conductive over time as the liquid will pick up minerals in the pipes and components they pass over. making them essentially pointless.
My question is, would this not also apply to mineral oil systems? Is it not possible to wake up one day after a few years and find your fish tank pc to be completely fried?
2 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1305 [Edit]
>>1304
>I think the whole concept is retarded.
What's retarded about dunking your computer in a fish tank full of oil?
>> No. 1312 [Edit]
>>1305

it may be surprising to you, but the oil will protect the computer's innards from corrosion in addition to the massive heat dissipation.
you also don't need to clean dust bunnies out of the fans and heat sinks regularly.
>> No. 1313 [Edit]
>>1312
It will also lubricate inside your CPU, reducing drag when electrons flow through the pipes. Faster electrons = faster computer.
>> No. 1399 [Edit]
>>1298
Use distilled water?

File 143147892257.gif - (592.50KB , 370x335 , 1431073832439.gif )
1306 No. 1306 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Here we talk about torrents particulaly how uTorrent is shit.

Lately it seems like my torrent downloads have corrupted packets (if thats the right term for it). What happens is my download gets to 100%, but then when I restart the torrent program it checks for corrupt packets and restarts the download from 90% or so. I have to close and restart the program 2-3 times to fix all the corrupted packets or else I get problems like programs not installing properly or not being able to extract rars/zips/7z file properly. Anyone else get this problem?
6 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1347 [Edit]
File 143856670137.png - (442.98KB , 520x580 , 1427058741177.png )
1347
I just learned about Tixati and fell in love.
>> No. 1348 [Edit]
You know, one thing I miss about µTorrent is that torrents would have an error state for when the target directory couldn't be found (usually because the hardware was unplugged). In the clients I've used since though, the torrents simply reset to 0% after failing to find resume data, meaning when I do re-connect the hardware, they try to re-download what's already there. Does anyone know a way around this?
>> No. 1349 [Edit]
>>1348
I thought most clients would just sync the progress with the .part file and carry on from there.
>> No. 1378 [Edit]
File 145014347121.jpg - (37.54KB , 444x448 , 1408220060188.jpg )
1378
>>1348

look for a verify/recheck option in a right-click menu (or equivalent for non-windows systems). That will work for one-off type events.

File 142380498656.png - (674.06KB , 854x480 , vlcsnap-2014-02-09-09h46m28s123.png )
1239 No. 1239 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
why do people pay 8 million dollars for some aluminium garbage to browse shitbook with?
9 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1295 [Edit]
i use macs exclusively because they are superior to all other tech but mainly because i am a massive ABe fanboy and maybe one day he will come over and we can talk about macs together or something.
>> No. 1296 [Edit]
File 143029692793.jpg - (9.99KB , 449x374 , Lain_navi.jpg )
1296
btw the navi this board is named after is a thinly disguised mac
>> No. 1351 [Edit]
tachibana labs is loosely based on apple, but obviously allows a lot more room for modification
>> No. 1356 [Edit]
The majority of people use it as a status symbol. After that; it's fast, it's ubiquitous, it's identical, it matches the drapes.
To them a computer goes no further than a Facebook/email machine and a household fixture.

>>1296
>>1351
God uses CoplandOS

File 141789037626.jpg - (901.84KB , 726x946 , 1bcd27ad2a07ee94a66a7d1afd34a232.jpg )
1198 No. 1198 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
This might sound strange but I've noticed that I can almost feel when I have something copied to my clipboard. It's like it goes past simply remembering having something in there. Do you ever get that?
5 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1243 [Edit]
Nah, I usually forget what I have saved to it and usually forget that I even have something there unless it's one of those moments where I get curious and just Ctr+V on some space to see what's on/in it.

Either way, I'd prefer to have something else as a super power rather than knowing if I had something saved in my clipboard.
>> No. 1322 [Edit]
>>1198
I feel I could accidentally paste something somewhere I don't want to, so I copy random letters into the clipboard so that doesn't happen. Most often I copy "re" into it.
>> No. 1323 [Edit]
[Usubeniya (Usubeni Sakurako)] Homuhomu ni Buta o Miru youna Me de Mikudasarete Fumarete Ashikoki sareru Hon (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
>> No. 1328 [Edit]
That nagging feeling you get in the back of your mind and in your right arm? Yeah, I get it too, I'm guessing that my memory has become used to compartmentalizing that useless bit of information. At the very least it's helpful to have around at times. I would call it Phantom Clipboard Syndrome if it weren't for the fact that there is usually something in my clipboard when I get that feeling.

>>1323
I'll find use for that later, thanks.

File 141555304836.jpg - (250.53KB , 640x692 , Emperor_Penguin_Manchot_empereur.jpg )
1183 No. 1183 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Why use linux?
4 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1192 [Edit]
>>1191
I see your point. I don't think linux is hard to use at all, it's much easier to use than Windows, but I'm good with computers anyways so I don't think I'm the best judge.
You surely can set it up so it's very simple and easy, I did that with my mom's computer too and she never has any problems with it even though she's not tech savvy (but she's not retarded either). I had to configure it for her and ask her what she wants and what looks she is comfortable with, though.

But I think realistically speaking when your average idiot would get a new computer and it had linux mint or ubuntu preinstalled they would be pretty freaking confused why it doesn't look like their friend's computer, where internet explorer went or why windows executables won't run, etc.

Of course this is not the system's fault at all, but I think you're underestimating how stupid the average user really is. I think this problem is a bit deeper than just what the system alone can do. That's how I look at it.

Edit: something like this for example does not suprise me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI (3DPD warning)

Post edited on 9th Nov 2014, 5:15pm
>> No. 1194 [Edit]
>>1192
>I think you're underestimating how stupid the average user really is
You may very well be right. I always tend to assume that most young adults are very computer literate... but thinking back on it, that wasn't always the case. I can see where an average person that isn't computer literate would be pretty dumbfounded if they were used to seeing Windows elsewhere and booted up a Linux distro.
>> No. 1217 [Edit]
freedom for the awaiting autist inside of you. open-source, package-manager, freedom, secure(?)
completely customizable, so you can chose what program to install, so it can get faster as you know everything that is installed and can remove whatever that is not needed
>> No. 1233 [Edit]
I once put ubuntu on my dad's computer because he kept getting viruses, and he used it for a while, but he had me switch him back to windows because he liked it better. To each his own.

File 130542774680.png - (50.15KB , 256x256 , logo_antivir.png )
1049 No. 1049 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What anti-virus do you use?

I was a long time Kaspersky user but I grew tired of having to buy/search for keys so I could have updates, not to mention their software kept getting heavier and slower. I switched to Avira Antivir recently and I can't complain so far, although I don't know how good the detection rates are but it seems to do well on the tests I read. I also miss that registry blocker Kaspersky had, so you know when any kind of program is fiddling with your registry.
17 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1067 [Edit]
"Common Sense" can't protect you when security flaws exist. Anyone who thinks so doesn't understand how computers work.

And anti-virus software can't protect you either. Generally speaking you are always at risk.
>> No. 1068 [Edit]
I don't use any anti-virus. I do use Linux mostly, but I dual-boot Win7 and I believe that, as long I keep my box up to date and keep a decent firewall (my iptables rules only allow torrents as incoming traffic), I'm as secure as it gets. I've been thinking about installing snort recently, but that's just me being paranoid.
>> No. 1223 [Edit]
ESET NOD32, I get the keys / user name & password from facebook pages.
>> No. 1234 [Edit]
>>1049
Heh, I made this thread in 2011. It's funny how things change but also a bit embarrassing reading stuff you wrote.

I haven't used an antivirus for a few years now. It slows down your computer and you're not much safer with it, maybe it's because I actually learned how to use computers. It also bothers me how they constantly sweep your drive and god knows what data they send through the internet to their developers.

Frankly, if you care about privacy it's better to not use one and instead secure your browser with stuff like uBlock or NoScript. Having Malwarebytes installed on the side (but not running) is nice for a once a month check up.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

uBlock makes Adblock Plus/Ghostery and all that other stuff deprecated with a smaller memory footprint. /shilling over

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]