Beep Boop Bip
Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, CSS, EPUB, FLAC, FLV, GIF, JPG, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, RAR, TORRENT, TXT, WEBM, ZIP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 10000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 673 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 150448609042.jpg - (110.47KB , 1280x720 , mpv-shot0028.jpg )
1547 No. 1547 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or Dennis Ritchie, come here to talk about what you are doing, your favorite language and all that stuff.
I've been learning python because c++ was too hard for me (I'm sorry nenecchi I failed to you), reached OOP and it feels weird compared to the latter one, anyway I never got it completely.
23 posts and 7 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1784 [Edit]
I'm aiming for a career in Mechanical Engineering so programming for me is going to be something I do to assist with prototyping. That is to say, it'll be primarily more of a hobbyist activity. On that note, I've decided to learn C first, then Forth, then Lisp and then Ruby.

C because I hear its simple yet powerful, "bare metal" programming language. I believe it also teaches you about how the computer works internally.
Forth because I hear it gets used in the Aeroplane and Space sectors of Engineering. It's even closer to the "metal" than C, I hear. I heard it gives the programmer immense control and presents its own unique problems to programming that challenge you to think differently.
Lisp because I hear it will induce some kind of revelation about programming when you come to understand it. I hear that it's perfect for when you don't know what you should be doing because Lisp code is flexible enough to be taken in a new direction with relative ease.
Ruby because I predict I'm going to want a more friendly language to code in for my own applications in the house when I'm not trying to be maximally efficient.
I also consider Ada and Fortran as possibilities.

My most recent completed project was a program that could print a list of all the palindromes from 10 to 1,000,000 without using string manipulation (since I have yet to learn it).
>> No. 1785 [Edit]
>>1784
I would recommend LISP first, as you will get a better understanding of the science in computer science and better illustrates benefits of doing things different ways (especially recursion).
C is great exactly for the reasons you list, but the manual memory manipulation crap and a lot of C's idiosyncrasies (including the compilers) will slow down the general concept stuff that you should be learning first and foremost.

I would also recommend python over ruby for a language following what you are trying to accomplish with it, as python is a lot better supported overall, and a much larger library of publicly available code to stealborrow from.
>> No. 1786 [Edit]
>>1785
Thanks for the support but unfortunately, I've already bought books on C to get me started with it. I'm going to press on with C just for the sake of reassuring myself that I didn't waste my money. Considering what you said though, I guess I could make Lisp second and I'll learn it along with watching those SICP videos on Youtube before going into Forth.

I've heard that Python is popular for being popular so I'm somewhat aware of how well supported it is. When I look at Ruby code though and how it's all so sterilised of all of the "computer" things that you usually find in software code, I feel really drawn to it. It seems really comfortable. I'll just have to keep Python in mind as well.
Thank you.
>> No. 1787 [Edit]
File 154943397236.jpg - (85.93KB , 706x455 , slap.jpg )
1787
learning c++ atm. I need to learn data structures and algorithms but i keep getting blocked with math and big 0.

File 141324529758.jpg - (57.45KB , 300x300 , threadmill.jpg )
1012 No. 1012 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
what do you think, /tc/?
20 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1695 [Edit]
Just so people stop replying to this thread I'm gonna drop a knowledge bomb on you faggots.

It's called "Aerodynamics" and it's the reason airplanes have wings. You see, the wings generate lift by creating a difference in pressure, the shape of wings is such that air underneath is a higher pressure than the air over-top. Because pressure will always seek to reach an equilibrium, the higher pressure air will exert a force on the lower wing surface attempting to mingle with the much lower pressure air running over-top.

It is not the displacement of the engines that causes an airplane to travel upwards. This is idiot-proof when you realize that the engines are permanently mounted sideways, and couldn't possibly produce enough force downwards to generate lift.

The reason the airplane on a treadmill wouldn't work,(so long as the treadmill is rotating at a relative speed above the airplanes minimum take-off speed) is because it's airspeed is insufficient to cause a difference in pressure along the wing surfaces.

There is actually an effect similar to the treadmill mean in real aviation called "Tailwinds"; that is to say when the wind is blowing in a direction parallel to the planes travel, such that the wind is approaching from the rear to the front. It can, at sufficient windspeeds cause an otherwise airborne aircraft at the same engine displacement to stall and fall out of the sky, because the pressure differential under the wings is producing insufficient lift.
>> No. 1756 [Edit]
No, it will not fit between bars
>> No. 1781 [Edit]
File 154835357924.png - (245.52KB , 834x623 , will_helicopter_take_off.png )
1781
>> No. 1783 [Edit]
>>1781
It's obviously a model helicopter with no way of driving the rotor, so no.

File 154790467287.png - (6.71KB , 392x448 , CodeCogsEqn.png )
1767 No. 1767 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Greetings.

I recently noticed that one could express a polynomial in terms of combinatorials and so I am curious as to how far one could go with this.

My requests are:
1) An expression of n^4 purely in terms of combinatorials
2) A method for finding these combinatorial-expressions
3) Clarity regarding what the term is for this field of study my question would fit into (if there is one)

I notice Pascal's triangle appears consistently (albeit with the rightmost '1' cut off) so perhaps, keeping the positive-negative alteration in mind, the n^4 combinatorial-expression is actually quite predictable but I have yet to test this and to be honest, I'd rather find a method than apply what I predict could be the cheat-sheet.
8 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1777 [Edit]
>>1774
Also, since I originally stumbled upon this dilemma when trying to calculate the total number of possible pairings amongst a species consisting of two sexes, rather than balls and bins, do you think you could apply it to the scenario of a race with three sexes (but only a trio with one of each of the three sexes can produce a child)?

Or, if sticking to balls and bins, could you draw pictures too?
>> No. 1779 [Edit]
>>1777
Not sure if I understand what you're getting at, but combinatorics is a field of math and I'd certainly put this in that category.

>My moment of genius was to realise that you could just take away all the possible male-male pairings
Yeah exactly! And your example actually *is* inclusion-exclusion applied to the case of n = 2 I think (expand out the summation and you should find that the terms match up)!

>do you think you could apply it to the scenario of a race with three sexes (but only a trio with one of each of the three sexes can produce a child)?
I'm not sure I understand what you meant. I'll give a concrete example for x = 3 bins and n = 4 balls though (so the number of ways to assign them is 3^4 = 81) (in your example I think this might correspond to each bin being one of the three genders). Also I'll stick to balls and bins if that's ok with you since that's a bit easier to visualize for me.

So we know that the number of ways to put 4 balls into 3 bins (with each ball going in only one bin and every ball going in some bin) is 3^4 (3 choices for the first ball * 3 choices for second ball * 3 choices for third ball * 3 choices for fourth ball). Now let's count this a different way. Form all possible ball/bin pairings:

ball 1 - bin 1
ball 1 - bin 2
ball 1 - bin 3
ball 2 - bin 1
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 1780 [Edit]
>>1779
>>1779
I'm still in the process of trying to understand this post but for the time being, I have another question:
Is there any significance in applying calculus here? I've got x^3 expressed in terms of combinations and I've got x^2 in terms of combinations so it's not too crazy to triple the x^2 one (i.e. 3x^2) and announce one sum of combinations to be the derivative of the other. Does that yield anything interesting?

Also, with this ball and bin analogy, am I understanding you correctly when it's possible for one bin to have two balls?
>> No. 1782 [Edit]
>>1780
>it's possible for one bin to have two balls?
Yes two different balls can go in the same bin, but a single ball can go in only one bin and every ball must go in some bin

> derivative of the other. Does that yield anything interesting?
No I don't think so since nCr doesn't make sense for non-integers. It's also pretty contrived so I don't think there's any direct interpretation. You can make 1 = 1 turn into some complicated looking thing by stringing together identities but it doesn't necessarily mean it'll have a direct interpretation.

File 154078107376.jpg - (416.01KB , 2048x1503 , vert_jpg_2dd72853bb62c130b20c4694aac2a300.jpg )
1762 No. 1762 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Why do gpu makers put all their effort into making the top of the card look fancy when you're likely only going to see the side and the bottom? Why do the fans blow downwards anyway? wouldn't it make more sense to vent the heat upwards?

With these questions in mind it seems people are taking to side mounting their gpu, problem is that pushes the card right up to the case window and blocks the air flow. Anyways, what do you guys think about this? would you mount yours sideways, do you not care if it sags at the end when mounted traditionally, what's your take?
>> No. 1763 [Edit]
I am pretty sure the fans on most graphics cards blow air into the heatsink, leaving it to exhaust out the side or back of the card, then sucked up by the rear fan. Not much you can do about that but I think it works fine most times unless the computer not designed for a large card like that. There are also blower style graphics cards which use a radial fan to blow air through a duct and out the back of the slot covers, which works better in tight computers, it's pretty common. I think a simple reason for making the card look nicer on the fan side would be that those images are what is mostly shown in product pages where people purchase the cards, so people will buy the better looking one regardless of if they'll see it in their case or not. Most computers don't have a clear panel anyway so the majority of the time the side isn't even seen.

Post edited on 29th Oct 2018, 6:12pm
>> No. 1764 [Edit]
>>1762
Air movement is more of a non-issue. The larger issues are generally going to be the heatsinks getting gunked up with dust. Make sure to blow out the dust every now and again.

With modern cases, there is plenty of room to prevent air from stagnating and heat up.

The real problem, as can be clearly shown in your image, is the PCIe ports being completely blocked. God forbid you want to use one of the new and fancy SSD drives, or a good quality sound card, or a network card.

Also, with multiple card set ups, you now have to remove everything to get to the card vice being able to lift out the problem card by itself. The cases and motherboards were designed with the vertical mount orientation in mind, both for air flow and ease of use. Changing that on a whim is a stupid idea, unless you *really* need to show off the LEDs on the fans of your graphics card which would be otherwise obstructed by another PCIe card.

File 153180219254.jpg - (67.39KB , 728x571 , 1302016191933.jpg )
1696 No. 1696 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What is the end goal of technology?

Do you think that, overall, it is improving our lives, or making it worse?
2 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1704 [Edit]
It will inevitably lead to the extinction of humanity. I am all for technological advancement, but moving too far too fast is very concerning.
>> No. 1705 [Edit]
File 153429981280.png - (96.06KB , 612x727 , 1461272532468.png )
1705
>>1704

Still a long, long ways away from singularity.

I'd welcome some innovative and new technologies, but everything for the last 3 decades has been iterative improvements to shit that already existed, combined with 'planned obsolescence' so that it stops working if you wait too long before buying the next iteration.
>> No. 1719 [Edit]
File 153535370778.jpg - (243.42KB , 800x562 , the last man's last smile.jpg )
1719
The end point of technology will be our destruction. Man is a cosmic accident, there is no point to us, but we still can function because our environment is still reasonably close to the original. Our biological programing still good enough for our situation. Yet more and more technology changes the game faster than nature can alter her program. Take obesity as an example, for nearly all of human history there was no such thing as a problem of constantly having too much food. In the last hundred years technology has made food abundant, making our own biological drives so suited to millions of years of hominid life moot. How will man's programed urges react to the new weights on the scales? What will happen when chance no longer is a major factor on human lives? What happens when most people become useless, when the systems we make outstrip their creators? What happens when we can alter genes freely. Or when we can alter people's moods, their minds, their capabilities? What happens when one can retreat into a virtual world to reign as God?

We will break ourselves. We will see what we really are. Living automata, a biological paradox, an abomination, an absurdity, an exaggeration of disastrous nature. Nature will no longer be able to correct her mistakes, we will be a species made almighty without, but equally a menace to its own well-being.

The results will be disastrous. Technology will peak when we can freely change one of two things, ourselves or the environment. In time those who change themselves will become infinitely malleable nothings, true Sartreans who's existence may blink out in an instant, both more and less than human. Those that seek not to change themselves but that which is external to them will retreat into virtual worlds, induced feelings, human similcra, a solipsistic suicide. In any case it will be nothing short of collective death. So long as technology advances faster than nature can create counter-measures, we will overshoot her target, blowing us apart in the process.

In genesis man's original sin was to eat from the tree of knowledge. Technology, fruit of knowledge, will perfect our fall. It will be a final complete fall where we shall lose even the memory of paradise. We will finally know ourselves for what we are, stand apart from ourselves look upon our species and find
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 1754 [Edit]
The ultimate goal of technology is replacing us, soft bags of suffering flesh into a trans-species capable of the great sacrifices needed for conquering the universe.

File 135734470139.gif - (24.00KB , 301x322 , lolifox.gif )
418 No. 418 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [Last 50 posts]
Let's turn this thread into a browser war!
61 posts and 5 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1668 [Edit]
>>428
Well look how long internet explorer remained #1.
It looks like the most used browser by the lowest common denominator is owned by whoever dominates the tech industry at the moment.
This is most likely because they have enough of a monopoly to effectively promulgate it's supposed popularity amoungst the masses.
>> No. 1671 [Edit]
File 152377361939.png - (5.49KB , 64x64 , Waterfox_Logo.png )
1671
>>428
>>1668
To most people Google is the Internet. And when it tells them to switch to Chrome, they do as they're told. Not to mention the massive fear mongering campaign by the media that tells people they have to use the newest, most updated software or the evil Russian hackers will get them.

I've switched to Waterfox recently from Firefox ESR as it looks to be gaining ground after Moz-colon-slash-slash-a's insistence on screwing up. It's based off ESR56 and supposed to keep XUL intact alongside e10 so some old extensions will still work (can't live without Classic Theme Restorer and DownThemAll). Webextensions is restrictive garbage like the monoculture that spawned it.
>> No. 1674 [Edit]
>>1671
>can't live without Classic Theme Restorer
Just in case you don't know, you can modify a -lot- of the interface through CSS, way more than CTR ever could, with a couple exceptions. I was bothered by it too, but after testing Waterfox I just couldn't handle how outdated (and slow, YMMV) it felt so I sucked it up and only afterwards I found out about the editing. Just to be sure I reinstalled Waterfox and set it up like I had FF before Quantum, and my current edited Quantum felt and browsed way better. Sure, it's a lot more work as well, but it pays up.
>> No. 1706 [Edit]
File 153441401899.jpg - (72.50KB , 466x960 , 4BXp9zC.jpg )
1706
If I ever use IE, this is going to be the reason 77.56% of the time.

File 146163834098.gif - (459.96KB , 431x125 , Graficcards+be+like+still+prefer+amd+tbh_749c3a_54.gif )
1419 No. 1419 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
/navi/ quality images, go!
21 posts and 19 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1647 [Edit]
File 151960809476.jpg - (63.59KB , 599x495 , 1447119152346.jpg )
1647
>> No. 1667 [Edit]
>>1645
It appears as if this one was designed for GPU based crypto-currency mining for a large rig with many graphics cards.
>> No. 1686 [Edit]
File 152983187416.jpg - (31.60KB , 526x358 , you want to pray game.jpg )
1686
>> No. 1694 [Edit]
File 153119309541.jpg - (51.04KB , 620x367 , train pc.jpg )
1694

File 149478867937.jpg - (127.67KB , 992x558 , 6atsSqb.jpg )
1521 No. 1521 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What is WannaCry? Well, some little asshole wrote some code that exploits a hole in SMB within Windows. WannaCry, also known as Wana Decrypt0r, WannaCryptor, or WCRY, like other nasty ransomware variants, blocks access to a computer or its files and demands money to unlock it. Once infected with the WannaCry ransomware, victims are asked to pay up to $300 in order to remove the infection from their PCs, otherwise it is rendered unusable, and their files remain locked.

In general getting this on your computer sucks a sweaty ball sack. But hey, the fun's not over. This isn't like other ransomware. This one has a little surprise that comes with it. That hole in SMB allows it to actively hunt a network for other vulnerable computers. So it's contagious. That means all your friends at the coffee shop can join you in your misery.

So what can you do? Well if you're already infected, not much. Hope you have good backups, and I hope even more that you don't pay the fucking ransom. The last thing these people need is more money.

If you're not infected, well you have some options. First is get the update that fixes the hole. This will make you much less likely to get infected. However, with most of the planet banging on Windows Update right now, it might be a while. However, Microsoft does allow you to install from a stand alone patch.

Microsoft even released a patch for Windows XP SP3. "So what?" you say? Well, it was extremely generous of them to do so. Windows XP is a deprecated operating system. Microsoft was under no obligation whatsoever to release such a patch, but they did anyway.

Anywho...Below are direct links to the patches from Microsoft. Your best bet is to install these if you haven't already updated.

Finally, don't open suspicious emails, and NEVER EVER FUCKING EVER open an attachment you weren't expecting. You're welcome.

Windows XP SP3 http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/csa/csa/secu/2017/02/windowsxp-kb4012598-x86-custom-enu_eceb7d5023bbb23c0dc633e46b9c2f14fa6ee9dd.exe
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
10 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1610 [Edit]
>>1536
how does this image change when opened? what's that called?
>> No. 1688 [Edit]
File 152986643811.png - (32.52KB , 509x646 , rensenware.png )
1688
There was a far higher proportion of fun and harmless viruses back in the day.
>> No. 1689 [Edit]
>>1688
I don't see how that's either fun or harmless.
>> No. 1690 [Edit]
>>1689
The author provided a crack that automatically cleared that score too, if I remember correctly.

File 148279189850.jpg - (289.44KB , 1280x1950 , 20161230.jpg )
1495 No. 1495 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
"2016 was the year solar panels finally became cheaper than fossil fuels."
Your thoughts?
8 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1670 [Edit]
>>1495
Greenwashed bullshit. A 6kW set will set you back $15k and break even in 10+ years - that's excluding PV degradation, weather and battery replacements. I'd rather put that money into a low yielding fund and double it instead.

>>1669
Your tax money died for their sins.
>> No. 1673 [Edit]
>>1670
>break even in 10+ years
And by then the technology will be outdated with cheaper better stuff on the market. Not to mention the batteries would likely be toast by then.
>> No. 1683 [Edit]
I'm uneducated about energy extraction methods, which would be cheapest?
which would be eco-friendliest?
which would be most endurable?
>> No. 1684 [Edit]
>>1495
Now it's 2018, solar cell tech has been a bit more stagnant than we'd all like, and the US (one of the few major countries with enough empty desert to build massive solar plants in) still has tariffs on Chinese panels in some futile attempt to save some tiny domestic companies. I'm not holding my breath for a solar takeover in the next 20 years.

>>1683
Wind is very cheap, as in actually cheaper than coal and natural gas on real world grids where natural gas is subsidized instead of renewables, and it scales enough that it is the majority of generation in economies as large as the UK and Texas on many days. Capacity is still growing even after the US dropped rules that would have made coal fired plants more expensive.
I don't think anyone can confidently say what is most eco-friendly. Even if you replaced that extremely broad question with "what has the lowest effect on the greenhouse per Mwh generated" it's not straightforward. I don't want to shill wind too hard because it has obvious location limitations, but it's pretty great by this metric. Solar, hydro, and nuclear require a lot of energy to build (which for now means lots of fossil fuels burned), but have the potential to generate a ton of power in the equipment lifetime to offset.
Nuclear is theoretically the most enduring method if we're talking about the longevity of the equipment; that shit is supposed to be built to run indefinitely, but then people cut corners and it goes down in a natural disaster, and then other plants are shut in the ensuing political storm. Solar is of course on top if you mean the source itself, since if we switched to nuclear power we'd most likely run out of uranium before the sun dies.

File 151772797413.png - (95.00KB , 1024x512 , Ways-To-Browse-The-Internet-Privately.png )
1641 No. 1641 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
So I got my first copyright notice from my ISP today, and it warned this was my second infraction. Checked and saw two other emails I never noticed from them. So now I think it's about time I get on a VPN, as the peer blocker I've been using till now seems worthless.
Can you guys recommend any? I've tried tunnel bear and hide.me with their free versions and thought hide.me was pretty decent and it allows torrenting. Can you guys recommend any others that wont break the bank, or steal/sell my info?
>> No. 1643 [Edit]
I have used Airvpn for this purpose, and have found that it works well. Torrenting while on Windows slows down to a crawl for some reason. Fortunately, I don't do most of it on Windows so that's no issue. Just a heads up as you may run into this with other services. Many give free trials limited by time/data so you could try a few out. Seems you already have. Mullvad, nordvpn are some others I know of. Go with whatever is cheaper I guess.
>> No. 1649 [Edit]
define break the bank.

The one TT recommends/advertises would be my recommendation, ~40 USD for a year for their services.
Probably less than what you pay each month for internet if you are in the united states.
>> No. 1658 [Edit]
>>1649
OP here. sorry for the late reply but I ended up going with the one you recommended. Can't get it to work on my pc, and the app fucks up my phone, but it works on my laptop so it's whatever.

File 135545604428.jpg - (8.74KB , 256x192 , tn_gi-joe-computer.jpg )
36 No. 36 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I thought the ponderings thread was getting a little computer-heavy, so I made this thread for general whinging about technology and the like. It sort of already exists in other threads, but that didn't stop people...
18 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1625 [Edit]
my flip phone stopped taking a charge and now i have to get a new phone and i'm afraid that i'm going to be forced into getting one of those rectangular 3dpdbook tracking devices that ntggers prefer to telephones these days when all i really want is a telephone to call people with and not a gps tracking device which uploads my position to the cloud constantly, even when i'm committing crimes. imagine being so fucking stupid that you pay the phone company hundreds of dollars a month to collect incriminating evidence against you.
>> No. 1626 [Edit]
>>1625
>my flip phone stopped taking a charge
replace the battery.
>> No. 1627 [Edit]
>>1623
i run a separate machine for my file server because i found out i don't like sharing ram and bandwith with the outside world. i capped the server's bandwith at a bit below my total capacity so it can do it's thing and it never causes me any trouble.
>> No. 1639 [Edit]
File 151746113082.png - (21.50KB , 366x176 , oh god no.png )
1639
I am trying to read a handful of ext4 formatted drives from windows. However, since I used some specific format parameters so I could save disk space, some of the linus fs readers don't work. This one called ext2fds actually allows you to mount drives right in windows but it only works with the one partition I formatted with default parameters. Another, called DiskInternals Linux Reader, does work but only lets you browse the file sytems in their standalone program. You have to "save" files you want to copy over to use them normally. Real round about way of doing things but oh well.

Post edited on 31st Jan 2018, 9:01pm

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]