Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, OGG, PNG, RAR, SWF, TORRENT, ZIP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 16000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 527 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 169381384446.jpg - (63.12KB , 485x368 , 1560183988_screenshot-1-air-visual-novel-355910009.jpg )
2362 No. 2362 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Visual Novels as a medium are effectively dead. A few embers still burn for now but every year more and more studios are closed, the profits generated get less and less, and the works that exist try harder and harder to appeal to normalfags.

Otaku culture was so successfully integrated into the mainstream where artefacts of what were once a niche are now commonplace - any mouthbreathing well integrated member of society can tell you all about Fate or Clannad or Higurashi thanks to the adapations and youtube explanation videos and wikipedia synopsis - but the value of these works has been entirely drained. We exist in a society of shadows cast by something no longer there.
13 posts and 2 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2380 [Edit]
>>2377
art seems like the hardest part, but also the easiest if AI is okay.
>> No. 2381 [Edit]
>>2380
AI art is okay for backgrounds and single image pornography. Story and character specific art is beyond its capabilities imo.
>> No. 2382 [Edit]
>>2367
This could only happen if someone went and did a significant amount of the legwork on their own and then asked for help afterwards.
>> No. 2383 [Edit]
>>2382
In other words, you need a director?

File 161667509157.png - (1.95MB , 1920x1080 , _yukari.png )
2225 No. 2225 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
What is the latest visual novel you bought and do you think it was worth its price?
Alternatively, if you pirate your VNs: What is the latest VN you finished and would you consider paying for it?
>> No. 2226 [Edit]
I think the last VN I cleared was Sanoba Witch. I think it was really nice and comfy, and I liked all the main girls, so I didn't mind paying for it.
I both pirate and buy games depending on what makes it more convenient to play. I like to get some on the Switch if I can because I enjoy portable reading, but all I really have on there right now is Clannad and Gnosia.
>> No. 2303 [Edit]
Kara No Shoujo (first game and the sequel), which I really liked and definitely thought was worth the money. However after playing both I bought Cartagra because it was by the same devs and had some intersecting characters. That turned out to be a hugely disappointing game.
>> No. 2345 [Edit]
I'm quite new to visual novels; I've only played about 5 or so. I'm midway through higurashi and it's one of the best games (including non-vns) I've ever played. I tried the first episode and it was definitely worth paying for, especially since each episode is cheap.
>> No. 2348 [Edit]
I envy people who can buy things. You are usually either time rich or money rich, rarely both.

File 165414954363.jpg - (172.52KB , 800x600 , ass rape.jpg )
2304 No. 2304 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Perhaps a bit much for a thread, but given there's both good and bad endings for a route, do you have a tendency read the good ones before the bad, vice versa, or do you avoid bad ends like a coworker who wants your anal virginity?
>> No. 2344 [Edit]
>>2304
Bad first, save the best for last. Unless there are a crap ton of endings.
>> No. 2352 [Edit]
I savescum the moment I sniff the bad end. I play to win.

File 165426625460.png - (732.87KB , 1187x791 , otakukun.png )
2306 No. 2306 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I've developed this habit out of low effort and laziness. I'll go to vndb.org and filter only games I can play on the browser. Usually I'll focus on very short reads in order to have a whole story in one sitting and try to spend as least time as possible actually selecting the title. I'll quickly go through the filtered list and click on the first title that stands out for me that day. If it needs a login or anything like that I just quit and try something else. Really handy when you're too depressed to go through the process of choosing and downloading something to play. There's also a surprise factor there where you don't really know what you're getting yourself into, it's nice. Just remember many of those freeware titles are done by very small studios and ocasionally a single person, so don't expect a high production value, though there are many of those as well.

To kickoff this thread here's what I read today. Gomen ne, Otaku-kun. It's about a girl flerting with poor Otaku-kun for laughs. Things get out of hand.
https://vndb.org/v28443
https://2795.sv02.novelgame.jp/game/2795/GomenneOtakukun/

Needless to say you can also filter through language to find English translated vns in the same way. Let's see the stuff we can find.
17 posts and 13 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2327 [Edit]
File 165700257328.gif - (95.70KB , 374x400 , 1643818010989.gif )
2327
>>2326
How Convenient! And Given how short they are I might even be able to finish one by the end of the week.
>> No. 2328 [Edit]
>>2325
Remember to check out these (and ones from the previous and subsequent events) if you haven't already: https://apothes.is/hosted/at2006/release.html
Old, but still very much worth it.
>> No. 2329 [Edit]
File 165716058362.png - (0.98MB , 1058x656 , ハッピードリームシンドローム.png )
2329
It's that time again I come here and tell you this is a beautiful game. You might start to assume I will praise any game I play but that's not true. What happens is I play through several VNs before committing to one. I would have played maybe 10 to 20 min of 4 or 5 titles before finding one I feel like reading all the way to the end and of course I'll review only those that I actually read all the way through. This is the latest one, Happy Dream Syndrome. This is the type of game that makes me wonder why nobody played it and most importantly, why there are so many boring plots for anime each season when they have stories like this lying around the internet. I don't get it. The other 4 guys who played this on yt all loved it and it's 5 stars on novelgame.

The art for this is pretty good. It has its own style going for it and it makes the characters very memorable. It doesn't look like a VN backed by a professional studio of course, but it is still pretty good and it has more charm and strength than a lot of generic 'highly professional' illustrations I see out there on VNs. The music is composed of 3 piano medleys. Not the best but they really work for this game. I had some problems with the gameplay though. Game has a couple of bugs and at least for me it's broken on Firefox. About 2 hours in there's a small animation scene and it doesn't matter what I try, I can't make the clip to load and run on firefox. Had to switch to Chrome and redo a huge portion of the game to get where I was. About 15 minutes of skipping. Free games though, you can't really complain. Lots of routes to take here. In fact I ended up cheating and looking up how to get one of the endings, then I regretted doing it because it was really obvious and the only thing I hadn't tried, despite being obvious.

The story begins with a trope I really like and I think everyone who played a lot of rpgmaker games back in its heyday have a soft spot for it as well. The protagonist wakes up with no idea who he is or where he's at. He lost all memory of his past and it's on the same level of wisdom about the world he's in as we the players starting this game for the first time. Protagonist memory loss must be the single most popular trope for RPG Maker games for the first decade of the 2000s fo
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 2330 [Edit]
File 165723336323.png - (877.19KB , 973x615 , Reversal.png )
2330
Usually I'll stick with the longest VNs available on novelgame but this one caught my interest while I was browsing the latest reviews people post in there. This is a super short but really cool read. Reversal is a horror/mystery type of game and really straight forward in its approach. It couldn't be any other way since each run takes only 15 minutes to go through. 4 endings so it probably wouldn't take you more than an hour to see everything this has to offer. The cool thing about this one is the fair amount of animations it has and they're really well made as well. Characters look very cute and that's always a plus. The horror is very effective visually and the world of Reversal, though only shown briefly, is interesting enough I think that many other games could take place in it.

It all takes place in a single evening when the recently transferred student, Kirishima, abducts you and 2 other students. She reveals herself to be a demon hunter about to go on an expedition on the edges of town to vanquish a ghost hideout. Akari is very enthusiastic about it because she thinks it is going to be just like in the anime she watches all the time. Yu on the other hand doesn't believe Kirishima for a second. Then it's up to you to decide how to proceed.

https://novelgame.jp/games/show/658
This game got huge some years ago when a celebtuber did a playthrough of it.
You can watch it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfEsk5VWDcQ
Kyo is rather loud though.

File 153093024423.jpg - (60.96KB , 500x375 , エイム.jpg )
2123 No. 2123 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Is there a good website to download older (00's) VN's?

I'm looking for Ayakashi and Ayakashi-H, but don't really feel like spending almost 100 bucks for games from more than a decade ago.
6 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2253 [Edit]
>>2251
When I tried downloading your folder as a zip (which came in 3 split zips) google drive complained about viruses in the zips.
>> No. 2254 [Edit]
File 16289823484.jpg - (249.90KB , 1269x1581 , e592e35dceac5b35663a4ea30acc0c7d.jpg )
2254
>>2253
Google is full of shit(false positives). Don't know what else to say. You can try downloading a single game and testing it.
>> No. 2255 [Edit]
>>2253
Google and windows do that for damn near everything.
>> No. 2302 [Edit]
>>2251
are any of these in english

File 131708643569.jpg - (23.77KB , 640x480 , KUROSU.jpg )
1405 No. 1405 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
This board is kinda dead.
It almost seems like nobody ever comes to /vn/.
It's kinda...lonely.
...hello?
Is anyone listening?
Is anyone alive out there?

Cross Channel thread! Favorite routes?
7 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2287 [Edit]
>>1405
I'm alive, and posting in an 11 year old thread.
>> No. 2288 [Edit]
>>2287
And thanks to you, I felt my heart ache after seeing OP's image.
I demand you take responsibility.
>> No. 2351 [Edit]
https://archive.org/details/on-cross-channel/mode/2up
A 160,000-word monograph on Cross†Channel, exploring different layers of interpretation. Based on the new translation of the visual novel by George Henry Shaft.
Haven't read it yet, because it shows an impressive list of games he's going to spoil in this giant book of his. I only read this part for now: "What the protagonist himself understands of said story is limited at best, complete nonsense at worst."

But apparently what he read was an english translation, and I heard that every english translation so far were really really bad, so maybe that explains his confusion.
>> No. 2354 [Edit]
>>2351
It's a tragedy this novel will be never receive a proper a translation despite having fucking three of them. And GHS' version is just painful to read, putting aside its accuracy of which I can't assess.

File 164186811752.png - (756.12KB , 840x660 , 11eyes.png )
2274 No. 2274 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Can TC name all the references?
2 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2277 [Edit]
At a quick glance (in addition to >>2275) Toriyama Akira, JoJo, Cardcaptor Sakura, Detroit Metal City, Danbo/Yotsuba&.
>> No. 2278 [Edit]
>>2274
Other than those already said, Raising Heart from Nanoha, Zero's helmet from Code Geass and Bonta-kun from Fullmetal Panic. Also I think that little lump down there is the Clannad dango.
The armor in the back looks familiar but I can't quite place it.
>> No. 2279 [Edit]
Adding to >>2278, top left is that character from Moyashimon, far right is Satchii from Dennou Coil

>>2274
I doubt it. I tried looking up the answer afterwards in both Japanese and English, and while I could find various attempts, surprisingly I couldn't find a definitive list anywhere.

Multiple guesses have been made before that the bottom one is the Clannad dango, but the eyes don't match. They look like Pac-Man's eyes, but then the figure lacks Pac-Man's eyebrows. So I don't think either of those are right, unless the design was intentionally modified to be legally distinct or something.
>> No. 2280 [Edit]
File 164190543475.png - (198.23KB , 616x563 , c51c29041778f35f152d4613b82e7682.png )
2280
>>2279
I thought it was Haro from Gundam. Not like the eyes match either, but it's green and roundy.
For some reason there's videogame references too, I can't at least notice the Virtual Boy and Seaman.

File 156741392062.png - (191.41KB , 445x283 , mahoyo_old.png )
2170 No. 2170 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Does there exist any copy of the original draft of Mahotsukai no yoru? Of course Nasu never released it, but seeing as he gave copies to several people there should be at least one person both retaining it and recognizing its value.
>> No. 2224 [Edit]
So in other news, the full translation of the VN will hopefully be available by the end of June assuming the TL group doesn't pull a fast one. I'm a bit surprised that both a French and Spanish translation are already finished to my knowledge, I have to wonder why exactly the English TL community is so slow? Did they get lazy because of how much anime and manga are translated by companies or dubbed over?

File 132976497516.png - (30.46KB , 300x300 , fuck me.png )
1599 No. 1599 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Does anyone here play any otome? I want to have hot dicks fill my sweet, innocent, desperate pussy with cum geysers and my heart with love, but I'm not familiar at all with the genre. I looked on Overchan to see if there was an imageboard devoted to it, but sadly there is not.
Help me, Tohno-chan. you're my only hope.
In exchange, I drew this nice picture for you.
4 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1606 [Edit]
>>916

How many have you even read?
>> No. 1608 [Edit]
http://games.renpy.org/category/GxB ren'py has a section for these but none of them look very good.
>> No. 2222 [Edit]
>>1599
Why don’t you just search the otome tag on the vndb?
>> No. 2223 [Edit]
>>2222
Is this really the thread you felt the need to bump?

File 133332931131.png - (339.14KB , 424x351 , erogeapril2012.png )
1597 No. 1597 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
News here, discussion in topics please. It's okay to make comments but please don't derail this thread as I want this to be the go-to reference place for Visual Novel news, I'll try and keep it updated as much as possible. Let's get to it. Releases first, daily tidbits to follow.

April 2012 Scheduled Releases

Mahoutsukai no Yoru -Witch on the Holy Night- (魔法使いの夜)
TYPE-MOON
April 12, 2012
http://www.typemoon.com/products/mahoyo/index.html

AngelGuard
Athena
April 27, 2012
http://www.athena-soft.jp/products/angelguard/

D.C.III ~Da Capo III~ (D.C.III~ダ・カーポIII~)
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 1598 [Edit]
File 133336582866.png - (614.31KB , 1000x462 , new-top03[1].png )
1598
Mahoutsukai no Yoru -Witch on the Holy Night- (魔法使いの夜) - "Character" and "Special" pages updated
http://www.typemoon.com/products/mahoyo/index.html

Guily Crown - Lost Christmas - Release date pushed back to 26th July 2012
http://www.nitroplus.co.jp/game/lost_x/

Ane x Heaven - Playable Demo Available for Download
http://www.complets.co.jp/complet%27s/axh/axh_dl.html

Yukiiro ~Sora ni Rikka no Sumu Machi~ (ゆきいろ ~空に六花の住む町~) - Introduction page added
http://www.din.or.jp/~nekoneko/game.htm

Ore no Kanojo no Uraomote (俺の彼女のウラオモテ) - Playable demo available for download
http://www.aries-soft.jp/nonoura/download.html
>> No. 2181 [Edit]
File 157745232810.jpg - (297.66KB , 1495x957 , EMytK4bU0AACNqV.jpg )
2181
Borrowing this thread.

New Madosoft game announced:
Hamidashi Creative (ハミダシクリエイティブ)
http://madosoft.net/hamidashi/
>> No. 2212 [Edit]
File 160945906734.jpg - (570.42KB , 1431x1567 , eye cuts.jpg )
2212
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1344658439067357185

Remake news! Possibly switch and ps4 only (no pc or ps5?) also Tsukihime is finally getting an anime adaption!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb6PHhQTkQg

File 160833193368.jpg - (405.97KB , 1280x720 , nekomiko-switch-screenshot01.jpg )
2211 No. 2211 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Neko Miko starts with an unfortunate main character who finds a lonely and abandoned shrine in the city and prays to it after his roastie broke up with him and he was fired from his job. The shrine maidens there turn out to be cat girls, named Ayame and Kaede, and promise to rid him of his misfortunate that proves to be too much for them whose powers are attached to the shrine itself. Their powers were apparently weakened by the damaged state of the shrine and it's their only shelter so they decide to live with him while they slowly get rid of his misfortune over time.

I kind of didn't like this one as much. There is some messy presentation sometimes like the name of an NPC, the chinese restaurant owner, not even fitting into the text box for it, rarely the dialogue can actually not even fully show on the text box on the screen if the text is too long forcing you to look at the text log if you want to see it all, and some typos from time to time. Anyone could tell me it's probably because I played the Switch port but I played Nin Nin Days on my Switch too and it didn't have these problems. Checking the release dates I can only assume the devs missed some things because it might have been new for them and they got the hang of things later on since Nin Nin Days released over a year after Neko Miko.

The technical flaws themselves I can overlook, just so long as the games works and doesn't look like a mess. But that's not all of why I didn't enjoy it as much. The story didn't feel quite as fun this time. I suppose the writers maybe couldn't think of as many scenarios because, unlike a knight or a ninja, catgirls might not always be super-human athletes. That's probably why the events themselves come down more to shopping trips, a date at a restaurant or an arcade, and helping out at the restaurant you work at.

Depending on your tastes and possibly outlook, you might think it's relaxing, and it certainly was, but I personally felt it wasn't quite as exciting as the others I read so I didn’t feel as motivated to continue reading. I can’t even make much of an argument that it’s to make them behave like cats either. The personalities themselves definitely are like those of cats, one more than the other, but they never seem to do many things at all that are reall
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]