This is a board for topics that don't fit on other boards, but that are still otaku/hobby related.
[Return]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 32535)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, EPUB, GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 2503 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 156252087858.jpg - (6.53MB , 4093x2894 , 4d8ad79745a4d781b584b791ee6a8925fc183cf3.jpg )
32535 No. 32535 [Edit]
This isn't another "bitch about modern internet" thread, I genuinely am curious if anyone else here suffers from net addiction. From a usage tracker I put on my computer, I spend about 10 hours a day actively on the computer, mostly using a browser and sometimes playing games but mostly just mindlessly browsing the web and often F5ing slow boards. Does anyone else do similar?
Expand all images
>> No. 32536 [Edit]
>>32535
To an extent, but i'm already bored of most things. Another innane thread on a faster board, another watered down article that anybody can understand. At some point you get to hate that stuff for being so pointless and designed to waste your time, but then you move onto another dumb thing. It's like potato chips. Fuck potato chips, I want steak. I just don't buy any.

Also, even when i'm doing something productive, like learning something, it usually involves the internet. I spend more time on it than off at least.

Post edited on 7th Jul 2019, 11:45am
>> No. 32537 [Edit]
>>32535
I don't count it as internet addiction. I just do it as a way to fill in my time, because I do not feel like doing anything in particular. Kind of in the same way others drone in front of a TV. I'd probably clock in at 12-14 hours per day.
>> No. 32540 [Edit]
Often in the middle of watching an anime or reading a VN, I'll tab out and check some threads or pixiv. It's not great for my attention span, but I don't know if I'd call it an addiction outright so much as a bad habit.
>> No. 32541 [Edit]
I spend more time refreshing tabs than I should, but I would not say I am addicted. But I also try to avoid faster moving boards, if it's fast enough you really can just sit their and waste your day on it(well this is one reason I avoid them).
>> No. 32542 [Edit]
Most imageboards are packed full of people who just want to talk about themselves constantly like they're on social media and they hog up all the space. It used to be that you could spend time all day errryday on interesting imageboard content (making your own or admiring other's contributions), but these days all the content is gone because the social media people and their selfish spam took over.
In general, if your posts contains "I" or "me" then I'm not going to read it and my only response will be offended incredulousness that you expect me to be interested in you even though you're clearly not willing to output even the tiniest bit of effort to make your contributions of any interest.
>> No. 32544 [Edit]
>>32542
I feel that is ridiculous. If you really do that, you don't read most posts. User generated content, good and bad, has always been self-centric to a a degree.These are MY figurines. This is MY waifu. These are MY reasons for not liking this.
>> No. 32545 [Edit]
>>32544
>User generated content, good and bad, has always been self-centric
Maybe on twatter or leddit. Here no one has a name. No one cares if your previous post was a literary masterpiece an xDDD. Unless you're a namefag imageboards are unselfcentric, your argument is invalid.
>> No. 32546 [Edit]
>>32545
"No one cares" and "self-centric content" is not contradictory.
>> No. 32547 [Edit]
>>32545
>if your posts contains "I" or "me" then I'm not going to read it
Your post included "I" and had to do with your feelings. All opinions are self-centric and people have always given their opinion, often along with the words "I" and "me". It's not the same thing as blogging. Again I feel you are being unreasonable.

Post edited on 8th Jul 2019, 1:48pm
>> No. 32548 [Edit]
>>32547
>Your post included "I"
Are you fucking illiterate? Read it again.
>and had to do with your feelings
No, just basic facts about the nature of imageboards.

Also you're responding to two different people now while still thinking you're in a one on one talk. This renders all of your half baked opinions void because you've just demonstrated there is no individuality, no continuity, no selfcenteredness, no "I" here.
>> No. 32549 [Edit]
>>32548
>Also you're responding to two different people now while still thinking you're in a one on one talk.
My bad. You both have the same condescending, obnoxious tone.
This post. This post right here >>32542 includes the word I. If you're stating your opinion, or your feelings, or your experiences, or your possessions, you're talking about yourself.
>> No. 32550 [Edit]
>>32542
The first thing I literally said was “This isn't another "bitch about modern internet" thread! I know this is the home of psuedointellectual weaboo, but I find it hard to believe you actually exist.
>> No. 32551 [Edit]
>>32545
>Here no one has a name.
This site literally started out for Tohno and his buddies. The anonymity angle doesn’t really work here and even in places where it is more embraced, your perceived identity matters much more than anything you have to say.
>> No. 32552 [Edit]
>>32542
>I" or "me" then I'm not going to read it

>I'm

> I am.

>I

You are an idiot.
>> No. 32553 [Edit]
>Shiichan Anonymous BBS

Shiichan was a 2ch-type board in PHP. It was written in late 2004 by a guy named Shii. Currently, it is in a buggy beta stage, and no development is planned. This page is preserved because of the essay on it, below.
An actually working alternative: Kareha

>What's "2ch-type"?

A 2ch-type board is a sort of anonymous bulletin board system. You can have as many forums as you want; the latest posts in each thread are previewed in the front page of each forum. Nicknames are optional. A system is implemented to allow "registration"-like features without storing any user information in a database.
This type of board is based off of 2channel, pronounced "Ni-channeru", the largest Internet forum in the world (20 times larger than the biggest American forum). Shiichan is somewhat different from the 2ch look, but they still use the same system. Kareha is very closely modelled on 2ch.

>Why is this better than regular forum software?

If you want to create a beautiful "community", forum software is not for you. You should rather find some way to securely verify people's identities and then talk with them on a first-name basis. Once you start allowing pseudonyms, anything goes.
On the other hand, you're interested in starting a forum on some topic of your interest, and allowing anyone to post, then 2ch-type is infinitely better than PhpBB, Invision, or vBulletin. I'm going to refer to these as "old-type forum software"; I'm not pretending to be unbiased.

Here's why:

Registration keeps out good posters. Imagine someone with an involving job related to your forum comes across it. This person is an expert in her field, and therefore would be a great source of knowledge for your forum; but if a registration, complete with e-mail and password, is necessary before posting, she might just give up on posting and do something more important. People with lives will tend to ignore forums with a registration process.
Registration lets in bad posters. On the other hand, people with no lives will thrive on your forum. Children and Internet addicts tend to have free time to go register an account and check their e-mail for the confirmation message. They will generally make your forum a waste of bandwidth.
Registration attracts trolls. If someone is interested in destroying a forum, a registration process only adds to the excitement of a challenge. One might argue that a lack of registration will just let "anyone" post, but in reality anyone can post on old-type forum software; registration is merely a useless hassle. Quoting a 4channeler:
Trolls are not out to protect their own reputation. They seek to destroy other peoples' "reputation" ... Fora with only registered accounts are like a garden full of flowers of vanity a troll would just love to pick.
Anonymity counters vanity. On a forum where registration is required, or even where people give themselves names, a clique is developed of the elite users, and posts deal as much with who you are as what you are posting. On an anonymous forum, if you can't tell who posts what, logic will overrule vanity. As Hiroyuki, the administrator of 2ch, writes:
If there is a user ID attached to a user, a discussion tends to become a criticizing game. On the other hand, under the anonymous system, even though your opinion/information is criticized, you don't know with whom to be upset. Also with a user ID, those who participate in the site for a long time tend to have authority, and it becomes difficult for a user to disagree with them. Under a perfectly anonymous system, you can say, "it's boring," if it is actually boring. All information is treated equally; only an accurate argument will work.
This is hard to believe. (2006)

Problems with 2ch-type forums often come along the lines of "people will be more likely to insult, flame, and troll if they're anonymous". This may be true... but people are already pseudonymous on most forums. The drama and hatred you see on pseudonymous forums is as bad as it gets; with anonymity, you'll probably be better off because of the convenience. Either way you will need a dedicated team of moderators to police the board for trolling and nonsense.

A preliminary study done by... me in March 2005 found that there was no noticeable difference between 2channel and forums.gentoo.org in terms of useful posts, off-topic posts, and nonsense in a long thread about technical issues. On the American forum 4-ch.net where posts can be either anonymous or pseudonymous, most of the actual helpful contributions to technical discussions came from anonymous users, whereas pseudonymous users tended to offer their personal experiences. But this was totally unscientific. Do a blind study yourself.

Spam is another issue. Since 2004 when this essay was written, message board spam has become increasingly prevalent on all anonymous forums. However, on old-style forums spammers often register fake accounts and happily suck in users to their profile websites without posting. If you are experiencing spam that gets around your local filters, I have found that extremely simple tests, such as a drop-down box asking whether you are a human (Yes? No? Maybe?) often cut it off entirely.

If you can't or don't want to force people to pay or use their real names, at least give a swing at bucking the establishment and trying out a totally anonymous forum.

Shiichan is released under the GNU General Public License.
Copyleft 2004; all rights reversed, reprint what you like.
For formal permissions or to contact the author of this essay, visit the gay bar
>> No. 32554 [Edit]
>>32553
I get it was the product of the times but most of 4-ch’s userbase is the fucking worst and outside of longer reads on /iaa/ they are rarely even coherent, also this isn’t even a thread about identities or the such, OP is literally just asking for others experiences. Is every fucking thread someone doesn’t like an excuse for meta?
>> No. 32572 [Edit]
>>32554
> it was the product of the times
that such a cop out.
whats different now?
and why was it the job of 4ch posters to cater their posts to your liking? maybe the stuff was incomprehensible to you because you got reading comprehension problems or were too ignorant to understand what was being posted.
>> No. 32573 [Edit]
>>32572
Yes, intelligent discussion as this requires such high levels of reading comprehension: http://4-ch.net/iaa/kareha.pl/1146988043/
Don’t even get me started on the DQN retards. The product of the times example was about how people used to use the site for reasons other than bitching and throwing up on themselves shitposting.

Post edited on 9th Jul 2019, 10:42pm
>> No. 32577 [Edit]
>>32572
>and why was it the job of 4ch posters to cater their posts to your liking
It's not, but if people act retarded, you can dislike them for it.
>maybe the stuff was incomprehensible to you because you got reading comprehension problems or were too ignorant to understand what was being posted.
Why would that be your first assumption? Why are you getting defensive?
>> No. 32580 [Edit]
>>32572
They go for the cop out cause they got comprehensively told but they can't deal with reality.
>> No. 32592 [Edit]
>>32580
Some essay from 2005 about a site now exclusively used by retards is different because maybe people didn’t just use the site to shitpost on. I don’t understand how an essay about tripfags is equivalent to asking about others experiences, especially when this very site started as a friends hangout.

Post edited on 11th Jul 2019, 7:52pm
>> No. 32597 [Edit]
Oh yeah, I'm a big sufferer of it. I get on the internet quite a bit and just waste my time. I'm not really sure why anymore because there is really nothing interesting here anymore. I know this isn't a bitch about the modern internet thread but let's be honest, the real reason most of us entertain the idea of us having a net addiction is because we have nothing to do anymore and now we have to take a step back and realize we do have a problem.
>> No. 32609 [Edit]
File 156302474263.gif - (26.37KB , 200x150 , Y0GlV_s-200x150.gif )
32609
I've probably been addicted since I was 15. I'd pop open a chill mmo game and browse the internet or read manga/watch anime at the same time.

I view it as a mental reward signal problem. Think about it: why do people grind mmorpgs, treating it almost like a second job even though it would logically be better to apply that grind to improving your life?

Browsing the internet or playing games takes almost no effort, distracts you from the pain of living, and gives you instant gratification. You get used to getting your dopamine rushes so easily. Soon everything else seems like so much effort. Browsing the net is boring but the alternative is so hard you can't be bothered.

I think the solution is a 'dopamine cleanse'. Its the same principle being dieting or nofap: you cleanse yourself of those constant reward signals for a while so that you can get used to earning your rewards in a healthier and more productive manner.
>> No. 32630 [Edit]
>>32609
Most of that is placebo. There's a reason why certain people develop certain bad habits. I could never spend more than one day playing any mmorpg because it took too much grinding and the excitement gained from growth got old fast. Not to mention there's always players way ahead of you.
>> No. 32631 [Edit]
I don't understand grinding and never tolerated it. It feels cheap and hackneyed, poor substitute for real gameplay. I read that some people like to play soulless repetitive bullshit because they find it 'relaxing' and can watch TV and listen to internet talk shows while playing. Choosing to consume several lacking forms of entertainment at the same time to make up for the insufficiencies of each is absurd. Instead of finding something fully engaging to play or watch they prefer to drown in shoddy crap. It's not only stupid but harmful to the rest of us as it encourages further production of easily manufactured low quality entertainment.
>> No. 32632 [Edit]
>>32631
Those people are probably in the minority. Most are satisfied with one shoddy thing at a time.
>> No. 32633 [Edit]
>>32631
I have a feeling that it is a social experience, the people grinding are probably talking to guild mates over Twitch or Discord or whatever at the same time, so a dull and simple game actually makes sense and facilitates that.
>> No. 32634 [Edit]
>>32633
Considering that genre of game started as a glorified roleplay chat. That’s probably it.
>> No. 32642 [Edit]
This has been every day for the last several years of my life. I barely maintain myself outside of the screen. The day is often gone before I've thought to shower, brush my teeth, or eat a proper meal. I wish I had some basic self control and a couple extra hours in the day.
>> No. 32643 [Edit]
It is not the addiction that bothers me as much as how it is not a sustainable lifestyle. What all these people don't understand when they talk about addictions like drugs, alcohol, internet is that they blame the addictive substance for everything that is wrong with the addicted's life. People aren't addicted to drugs or alcohol because there are magic chemicals in there that hypnotizes you to crave it. People are addicted because their life is shit and their addictions made them feel better. You can't just see a deadbeat internet addict as a well adjusted, hardworking person ruined by computers and by taking away the internet they will miraculously return to their "default" state of being functional. This is why supposed therapeutic "cure" is useless. Patient who weaned off one type of addictions often finds a new one. I could go cold turkey until I completely forgot that the internet exists but so what? My life is still shit and there is nothing for me to do. Outside of the thing that can be called addictions there is absolutely nothing else in my life that I can enjoy. What do you want me to do after I stop binge browsing fetish porn every day? Work hard and get rich? Get friends and 3DPDs? Become a productive member of society? I don't give a fuck about any of those shit. All of society can go to hell. I just want to stay in my room and play games or whatever.
>> No. 32644 [Edit]
>>32643
>Outside of the thing that can be called addictions there is absolutely nothing else in my life that I can enjoy.
You could pay your own bills and food for a start. People blame society for everything, but nature itself never had any intention of giving living beings a comfortable existence. Without society we'd be living in the woods. I understand your frustration though.
>> No. 32645 [Edit]
>>32643
Too true.
>>32644
Go away.
>> No. 32646 [Edit]
>>32645
>Go away.
If you think i'm wrong, explain how to me. When you think about the life of a deer or a rabbit you can clearly see my point. You can hate society and the majority of people all you want, but like it or not, you were shaped by them. Their influence is all over you. I don't want to be a fucking rabbit.
>> No. 32647 [Edit]
>>32643
Even if you don’t want to do any of that there are other things you can do besides excessive screen time, I feel as if the web has ruined my attention span, I can’t watch things or read a book without itching to do something else but I can surf the web for hours and f5 dead sites.

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]