moe moe kyun~

Our MAL Club
[Return]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 29372)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, OGG, PNG, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 1840 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 150503544487.jpg - (100.76KB , 802x1000 , welcome-to-nhk-vecto-satou.jpg )
29372 No. 29372 [Edit]
It's been 10 years and there is STILL no anime as real or brutally honest as Welcome to the NHK. How did this anime change your life?.
Expand all images
>> No. 29375 [Edit]
File 150506340552.png - (425.52KB , 640x480 , 217.png )
29375
The problem I have with NHK is that the end message is revolved around wanting to be normal, wanting relationships, etc. Not to say that it isn't real to some people or a bad show at all, which it isn't. However, for me it didn't have the same relating effect as it did to many others. To give a very loose example, it is like Genshiken. A show which on the surface looks to be about otaku culture alone, but devolves into romance somewhere down the line. It is what it is, and how people are.
>> No. 29376 [Edit]
>>29375

Makes sense
>> No. 29377 [Edit]
I prefer the book.

It goes into more detail and there aren't any of those obnoxious mascot characters.

The anime OP is very nice though.

I think of it as No Longer Human for NEETs, but with a much less depressing story/ending.

It didn't change my life at all lol.

>>29375
It was always intended to be a NEET fantasy-fulfillment romance. The premise is so unrealistic but the characters themselves feel somewhat real. The author said that he put some of his own experiences into the book so it's no doubt that certain elements come from a very real place.
>> No. 29378 [Edit]
>>29377
Now that you say that, you're right. Plenty of anime are just that, fantasy fulfillment, after all.

Post edited on 10th Sep 2017, 12:11pm
>> No. 29381 [Edit]
>>29377
I am currently listening to the audio book on YouTube can confirm i like it a little better than the anime.
>> No. 29384 [Edit]
I'm even older than satou was now and theres no misaki for me
>> No. 29385 [Edit]
>>29384

I know how you feel anon.
>> No. 29386 [Edit]
>>29384
Brutally honest truth is none of us get a misaki.
>> No. 29387 [Edit]
It made me realize how depressed I was because of how much I related to Satou. I grew up with the mantra "life sucks, deal with it", so I thought everyone was miserable like me.

It all sounds funny in hindsight.
>> No. 29388 [Edit]
>>29387

Same
>> No. 29389 [Edit]
>the NEET with friends who goes out and has exciting adventures every episode

if there were at least two or three episodes where he does nohting but drink alone and try and distract himself from existence then it might have been effective. i'm still waiting for a SoL based on somewhat realistic NEETism. Genshiken was a good comparison.
>> No. 29393 [Edit]
>>29389
>Goes out and has exciting adventures every episode

Not every episode but almost every one.
>> No. 29398 [Edit]
I think I hadn't even started my hiki days back then, so it didn't hit me on a personal level. Tatami Galaxy, however, did.

Post edited on 13th Sep 2017, 2:06am
>> No. 29406 [Edit]
>>29375
This was kind of my problem with it too. NHK was definitely a great ride, but I felt like I was missing out on a part of what makes the characters "relatable" to other people since I don't really seek relationships or what society considers a fulfilled lifestyle. I'm perfectly fine with the entertainment my otaku hobbies gives me.
>> No. 29411 [Edit]
>>29406
I couldn't agree more. If your goal is to stay away from society and its workings, it's hard to relate to someone who wants to do just the opposite. Good to see a fellow who agrees.
>> No. 29417 [Edit]
>>29411
This
>> No. 29420 [Edit]
>>29411
Satou didn't really seem to have much of any goals, but if he did have any then chatting it up like an old pro wasn't one of them. The job was a last resort to avoid starvation. He did not seek out the GF and he was with Yamazaki all the way on the topic of bitches and romance.
Satou wanted to stay inside watching TV, smoking cigs and drinking beer. He displayed a tendency to fall in love 2nd girls easily, but his relationship with the one 3dpd he had sex with was emotionally barren.
I think that the author's message might have been something like "I know being a NEET is awesome, but you can't do it forever. Eventually you will have to participate in NT society", but Satou didn't harbor those feelings. They didn't go out of the way to show how much he loved having a job after he got one because he probably didn't like it. Satou was warned by Yamazaki about how manipulative women are, but at the end of the anime you can see that Satou has fallen under the influence of manipulative female.
The author might think that it's wonderful that everything "worked out" for Satou, but if the author had given Satou access to enough free food and rent money at the end then our boy would have gone right back inside, turned on the TV, cracked open a cold one and he wouldn't emerge again until the trash bags were as high as an elephant's eye.

tl;dr satou was a victiim of circumstance and not a normie
>> No. 29421 [Edit]
>>29420
I see your points, but there are a few things you are forgetting.

Satou may not have had any goals, but from what I remember he initially became a NEET/hiki due to extreme anxiety. I think it'd be safe to assume he wouldn't have become that way if it weren't for this.

>He did not seek out the GF
Remember Misaki's first scene and how Satou felt when he first saw her? Wasn't he in denial about her for a good part of the show? He's the one who went to see her day after day too. But yeah, you are right, going to the manga shop was more or less out of desperation. If he never had a question on getting stable $$ none of the story would have happened and he would have continued, like you said. Doesn't change the fact that he had feelings for Misaki, however.

>He was with Yamazaki all the way on the topic of bitches and romance.
Yamazaki never had any real disdain towards females. He may have seemed like it, but if you remember he had that crush on that one girl (Remember the fireworks, and the college scene where Satou follows Yamazaki?) It was only him being bitter at his failures. By the end didn't he get married and whatnot too? And Satou, remember he tried to take pictures of young girls in the bushes?

>but at the end of the anime you can see that Satou has fallen under the influence of manipulative female.
He did that voluntarily.

I was under the impression, based on the ending, that things had gone normally for them and they integrated into society.

Post edited on 15th Sep 2017, 10:05pm
>> No. 29423 [Edit]
I liked the series a lot, and am definitely due for a re-watch (it's been 10 years for me now).
>>29421
>How did this anime change your life?
It made me realize and/or cement my thinking that between the big divide between normals and non-normals there was such thing as "failed normals": People who ended up being left behind by external conditions pushing them down instead of internal ones keeping them in, but still desperately yearn for normalcy. This brings me to agreeing with...
>>29421
>I think it'd be safe to assume he wouldn't have become that way if it weren't for this.
I agree. I think the reason why Satou is so unrelatable for so many is that he was never that much a misfit, but rather a washout, who just needed a push and support to go back to being an ordinary man, with ordinary aspirations and interests.
>> No. 29429 [Edit]
Count another fan of NHK here. I really enjoyed the show, although the ending felt really rushed probably due to financial or deadline shortcomings. The manga has many more memorable scenes (the most striking scenes are the ones in which he goes to live with his parents) and the novel had a much richer and more personal setting. I would most definitely recommend those before the anime.
>> No. 29434 [Edit]
>>29429
I didn't realize the manga was so different. I guess I'll have to read it.
I agree the novel is fantastic.
>> No. 29435 [Edit]
>>29434
Not only is it different, a lot more happens as well.
>> No. 29437 [Edit]
>>29429
Isn't Misaki a bitch in the novel??.
>> No. 29439 [Edit]
>>29437
Aren't all women?
>> No. 29443 [Edit]
>>29439

True
>> No. 29444 [Edit]
>>29437
She is in every iteration of this work, not just the novel. Holy balls of the Lord I hate Misaki so much.
>> No. 29445 [Edit]
>>29444

Why?.
>> No. 29459 [Edit]
File 150618309427.jpg - (23.54KB , 720x480 , [Exiled-Destiny]_Welcome_To_The_NHK_Ep13_(95C767B6.jpg )
29459
I'm watching this right now actually, though I know I'm late. It's hard to feel sorry for him when he cries over things like getting his allowance cut in half. The whole suicide fiasco was pretty absurd as well and now it seems like he's going to get hooked on an MMO.

I did feel for this guy though. His wife and kids leaving him as soon as things got tough is messed up. I'm surprised he would even want her back.
>> No. 29471 [Edit]
>>29459

I felt bad for him too
>> No. 29503 [Edit]
I enjoyed it but it didn't make me reconsider my life or anything.
>> No. 29545 [Edit]
>>29503

Same
>> No. 29547 [Edit]
File 150769779011.jpg - (103.64KB , 475x539 , 3211077300e346f773dea480f9a77778c7f56ebc.jpg )
29547
>>29545
Please be more constructive in your posts, this is a warning as your excessive "this", "true", and "same" posting offers no constructive discussion.
>> No. 29550 [Edit]
>>29547
k
>> No. 29552 [Edit]
>>29547
His posts are fine.
>> No. 29553 [Edit]
>>29552
Which is why they weren't deleted, a simple warning was given. However, look at the last line of rule 7 on the rules page.

Post edited on 11th Oct 2017, 5:50am
>> No. 29556 [Edit]
>>29547

Thanks i will take this into consideration.

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Home] [Manage]



[ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ $ / mai / mt / ot / so / tat / txt / 日本 ] [ arc / ddl / fb / irc / lh / lol / ns / pic / sub ] [ home ]