This is a board for topics that don't fit on other boards, but that are still otaku/hobby related.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (reply to 12292)
Message
BB Code
File
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: BMP, EPUB, GIF, JPEG, JPG, MP3, MP4, OGG, PDF, PNG, PSD, SWF, TORRENT, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 3179 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 132644911135.jpg - (2.89MB , 2502x3500 , d46191e6482739ee0b4b3e6987e38b9c.jpg )
12292 No. 12292 [Edit]
what are some things that really bug you?
things that genuinely piss you off?

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to vent about any little annoyance, no mater how big or small.
Any and all complains about the world around you are welcome here!
775 posts omitted. Last 50 shown. Expand all images
>> No. 33718 [Edit]
>When people just complain, it's taken as a question.
It's only a question when it's formulated like a question. That hard to understand?
>Tohno chan is for discussing things, not pointlessly bitching to vent or whatever.
Woop woop, the positivity police is here. Leg it, boys!
>> No. 33719 [Edit]
>>33718
>It's only a question when it's formulated like a question.
If everyone had that mentality, Tohno chan would either become an echo-chamber, or nobody would post. I don't care about whatever shit you just feel like complaining about without discussing. Tohno-chan is not your tampon.
>the positivity police is here.
It has nothing to do with positivity.
>> No. 33720 [Edit]
>>33719
>Tohno-chan is not your tampon.
I guess /so/ doesn't exist then.
>> No. 33733 [Edit]
File 15751790111.jpg - (66.73KB , 336x650 , __ryuuguu_rena_higurashi_no_naku_koro_ni_drawn_by_.jpg )
33733
Videos like this, and especially the comment section.
https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=Z58thY3Lf1E

It's so hard to keep calm when stumbling upon this kind of shit. This kind of thing makes my blood bloil. You've actually got idiots who think what people can and can't draw should be restricted. They make up all kinds of bullshit reasons like "normalization" with no backing what so ever, but really they're self-righteous and want to erase everything which makes them uncomfortable from the world. They think they have the divine right. And there's so many of them. There's so many people with this mindset. It's so common. There's no solution. Nothing that can be done about them. It keeps me up at night sometimes. Somebody give me hope for the future, please.
>> No. 33734 [Edit]
>>33733
The bright side is that these people rarely have the conviction to go out of their way to actually do anything. Their mindset is alien and incomprehensible, but things will be fine as long as someone doesn't stir them up somehow.
>> No. 33736 [Edit]
>>33733
This has happened for centuries, there's nothing exceptional about it. Some decades ago it was a right wing or religious thing, now it's leftist and feminist, but at the end it's the same drives, nothing has changed, people hate the freedom of others more than anything in the world. Sadly we the west have it worse because all the religious background, but you have to think it's all about cycles, now we are starting the regression but maybe in some decades people will be so tired and we will recover again.
>> No. 33737 [Edit]
>>33733
Those people are indeed garbage and presumably empty inside. Thankfully, money has the power to combat vacuous bullshit. So if people spend enough money to sufficiently fund supposedly verboten stuff, we'll be OK.
>> No. 33739 [Edit]
File 157520981146.jpg - (140.87KB , 600x836 , __z_x_drawn_by_fujima_takuya__a02268efa49424885b14.jpg )
33739
>>33734
>>33736
>>33737
Thank you all. I'm so used to being disappointed by other people, this is a relief.
>> No. 33749 [Edit]
>>33739
Just remember that normalfriends can't control things like this because the vast majority of anime is not really marketed towards westerners.
>> No. 33757 [Edit]
>>33749
It's amazing how they can be so racist and intolerant with other cultures while also trying to be so "progressive".
>> No. 33758 [Edit]
>>33749
I hope it will stay like this. They shouldn't pander to westerners.
>> No. 33759 [Edit]
File 15754014828.jpg - (218.62KB , 850x1205 , __original_drawn_by_zephyr_aile__sample-cf66092a6a.jpg )
33759
>>33757
>>33749
They're apathetic or ignorant of most of human rights abuses in the world. If you bring it up to them, they'll express dissaproval, but in a lukewarm, of course that's bad kind of way. They wont do anything. Bring up something a tad bit "closer to home" and they start freaking out regardless of if it's actually harming anyone. Moreover, some things, like forcing flesh and blood woman and girls to cover their hair in public, is seen as a-ok. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Maybe it has to do with how brown that culture is.
>> No. 33760 [Edit]
>>33759
Actually, there probably are lots of people against both hijabs and loli. Conservative types I guess. None of them make any distinction between things except "morally good" and "morally wrong". There's no thinking involved.
>> No. 33761 [Edit]
Something I find both funny and concerning is that their definition of "loli" sometimes goes as far as anime JKs with mature body types.
>> No. 33762 [Edit]
>>33760
What makes you think there is no thinking involved?
>> No. 33763 [Edit]
File 15754165576.jpg - (32.57KB , 408x604 , __2615251__994a6c4790ff2bed675cb41ec63a594b.jpg )
33763
>>33762
If there was any thinking involved, they would realize how irrational they're being. If they did come up with a concrete reason for why some type of drawing should be banned, they would then want to test whether it's true if they're thinking. Never seen it happen. People just fly off the handle. Even with the whole Nazi thing being a justification for censorship, that wasn't because of drawings or propaganda. There's a million ways Hitler could have been stopped that are more effective and preferable to dictating what people can express. Society loses its value if people are too restricted.
>> No. 33764 [Edit]
>>33763
Have you thought that maybe it's you being irrational? I don't actually support the banning of loli but there are legitimate reasons why people could, saying that everybody who opposes what I like is stupid is stupid in itself.
>> No. 33765 [Edit]
>>33764
>there are legitimate reasons why people could
Such as?
>saying that everybody who opposes what I like is stupid is stupid in itself
There's nothing stupid about disliking something. There is something pig-headed about wanting to stop people from drawing something you "oppose" because it's "bad".

Post edited on 3rd Dec 2019, 4:01pm
>> No. 33766 [Edit]
>>33765
It sexualises children... I don't see how you can't see that as a legitimate concern unless you are a delusional paedophile.
>> No. 33767 [Edit]
>>33766
>It sexualises children
One of the biggest issues with most westerners is their inability to differentiate between reality and fiction.
>I don't see how you can't see that as a legitimate concern unless you are a delusional paedophile.
Wow, that really convinced me. What is the concern exactly?

Post edited on 3rd Dec 2019, 4:12pm
>> No. 33768 [Edit]
>>33767
I entirely agree, which is part of the reason I don't support it being banned because they are different things. However, there are always going to be people that cannot separate the two and will view them as one.

Children are dumb, immature and vulnerable, they are easy to manipulate, yes paedophiles will say that adults can be that way as well but they are never to the same degree and the same individual who is dumb and immature at 20 will have been even more dumb and immature at a younger age. It also negatively impacts the development of the child as they see themselves as sexual objects and the world as an entirely sexual place, which is why children who were involved in that when young tend to become massive whores, it's all they know.
>> No. 33769 [Edit]
File 157541991032.jpg - (132.70KB , 850x595 , __shameimaru_aya_touhou_drawn_by_chobi_sakuyasakuh.jpg )
33769
>>33768
You're assuming loli would be mainstream and widely viewed by kids. The "protect the children" mindset has been used to censor many things. Comics, music, cartoons, radio, tv, pretty much everything which kids would readily access. There's no reason that loli would be the same. Kids might also not actually need as much protection as most people think they do. If all kids are actually becoming whores or something, there's bigger underlying issues with better solutions than making certain drawings illegal. Maybe expect more from parents?
>> No. 33770 [Edit]
File 157542007474.gif - (209.38KB , 900x650 , ebebebebebebeb.gif )
33770
>>33768
It's art
>> No. 33771 [Edit]
>>33769
It's not so much the kids watching it that is the problem, it's adults watching it and then viewing children in a sexual nature. Our society is over sexualised already, including children which is why so few of them will remain virgins until adult hood. They are already in a far more susceptible mind frame to the advances of adults, preventing adults from seeing them as a sexual object could easily be seen as a legitimate concern.

>Maybe expect more from parents?

Which would do no good if the parents see them as sexual as well.
>> No. 33772 [Edit]
File 157542157560.jpg - (124.62KB , 600x800 , __suzumiya_haruhi_and_uncle_sam_suzumiya_haruhi_no.jpg )
33772
>>33771
>it's adults watching it and then viewing children in a sexual nature
You're assuming it would become mainstream with adults and they would start pursuing real children to have sex with. Do you have evidence which supports this? Scientific studies? Statistics? The burden of proof should lie with whoever wants to make things illegal. The concern is only legitimate if there's evidence to back it up. It can't just be correlation either. If law and punishment isn't enough to deter crime, society has bigger problems than drawings. If you try and fix those problems by intruding on unalienable rights(like the right to draw whatever you want), you create a society not worth living in. That's what many people seem to want.
>Our society is over sexualised already
I don't think so. I think its a factoid thrown around a lot because sexual repression is peeling back a tiny bit. If the US is over-sexualized, Europe is hyper-sexual, and Japan is the std ridden sex maniac capital of the world. But they aren't. It's just in people's heads.
>> No. 33773 [Edit]
>>33772
I'm not assuming that hence another part of the reason that I don't support banning it. But it is likely that it would have that impact on at least some of the people that watch it.

>Do you have evidence which supports this? Scientific studies? Statistics? The burden of proof should lie with whoever wants to make things illegal.

Do you have any evidence that says it would not? I have already said I don't support it being made illegal but that I do see there being legitimate concerns people could have regarding it. The burden of proof should lie with whoever claims there is no rational basis behind something.

>If you try and fix those problems by intruding on unalienable rights(like the right to draw whatever you want), you create a society not worth living in.

I agree, from the start I said I was not advocating for it to be banned.

> don't think so. I think its a factoid thrown around a lot because sexual repression is peeling back a tiny bit. If the US is over-sexualized, Europe is hyper-sexual, and Japan is the std ridden sex maniac capital of the world. But they aren't. It's just in people's heads.

Well that's just a matter of perspective. But Japan actually isn't that sexualised, most people will remain virgins until later in life. One might think it is sexualised because we are viewing it from an obscured lens(otaku culture) but even within that culture how much sex is their actually in anime and how sexualised is it? Not that much comparatively.
>> No. 33774 [Edit]
>>33773
>The burden of proof should lie with whoever claims there is no rational basis behind something.
Why? I'm not the one trying to restrict people's rights. Loli also isn't illegal in the US or Japan, so i'm not the one trying to change things either.

Post edited on 3rd Dec 2019, 5:53pm
>> No. 33775 [Edit]
>>33774
Neither am I... All I am saying is that the idea that the people against it are stupid and have no logical reason to be against it is stupid in itself. I don't think the people that support loli should have their rights restricted or be cut off from voicing their opinions, however, nor do I think the people that are against loli should have their rights restricted or be cut off from voicing their opinions.
>> No. 33776 [Edit]
>>33773
Not him, but
>Do you have any evidence that says it would not?
That's not how the burden of proof works. You're supposed to prove the thesis of the claim, not the antithesis. The idea that highly stylized drawings will lead to a bunch of actual pedophiles running around has little-to-no evidence backing it up (admittedly I had trouble finding actual statistics on this since everything i look up leads to shitty clickbait articles), and the video that the other anon was complaining about, from what I could gleam, was just him meandering on for about 20 minutes that the style of MiA is inherently different from Eromanga Sensei, with no presenting of statistics on pedophilia. The guy who made that video is still a mongoloid though, and his voice is spiritually wounding.
>> No. 33777 [Edit]
File 157543038749.jpg - (199.39KB , 800x800 , __okazaki_yumemi_and_kitashirakawa_chiyuri_touhou_.jpg )
33777
>>33775
They can express their views and I can think they're dumb fucks for their views. Neither them or you have given me much reason to respect those views though. I don't see whatever sound reasoning you do in them. I definitely have no reason to like people with these views, especially considering what they've already done and want to do.
>>33776
This anon gets it.
>> No. 33778 [Edit]
>>33776
>That's not how the burden of proof works.

It seems that people often resort to this in lieu of an argument, this works both ways however and the original thesis in this case was that there was no thinking involved in their objection to loli, so even your argument goes against what you say. Do you really think there is a plethora of academic literature regarding this? No, even you yourself have said it's hard to find research on it, so should nobody ever have an opinion or view on anything that isn't backed up by a large amount of research? Well you already do(as do I) and you admit to it.
>> No. 33779 [Edit]
>>33776
>so should nobody ever have an opinion or view on anything that isn't backed up by a large amount of research?
No one should make this kind of thing illegal without that research at least. If they want to make things illegal even without that research, they're a cunt, and they didn't really think about that position. "We don't have the facts, but I want to get rid of it because of my baseless concern", doesn't count as thinking.
>>33776
There has been some serious stuff written about it.

http://tireview.be/index.php/imagenarrative/article/view/127/98
https://www.academia.edu/28693090/The_Lolicon_Guy_Some_Observations_on_Researching_Unpopular_Topics_in_Japan
https://books.google.com/books?id=Jni3DAAAQBAJ&pg=PP1&lpg=PP1&focus=viewport&dq=death+note+anime&lr=

Post edited on 3rd Dec 2019, 8:05pm
>> No. 33780 [Edit]
>>33779
It's still thinking weather there is solid evidence behind it or not. It could easily be said that if something strongly appears to be similar to another thing that is illegal and has no solid evidence to differentiate it then it should be made illegal, the no evidence argument works both ways. You are just picking one side because it suits you.
>> No. 33781 [Edit]
>>33780
>if something strongly appears to be similar to another thing that is illegal and has no solid evidence to differentiate it then it should be made illegal
>You are just picking one side because it suits you.
One has a victim and another doesn't. Very clearly. We're not comparing murder with involuntary manslaughter.
>> No. 33782 [Edit]
>>33781
In places it's illegal to produce any things paedophilic in nature even if it isn't using a real child, it can be illegal to even write a story about such things, so loli could easily be seen to fall within that and indeed in many cases it will. It's not a matter of murder vs manslaughter but whether a certain kind of fictional portrayal should be seen as legal or not while another kind is illegal or whether a state or country that has no laws against certain fictional should introduce them or not.
>> No. 33783 [Edit]
>>33778
I was looking specifically for Japanese crime statistics involving child pornography and things related to it. Whatever I had done to search it left me only with CNN and clickbait articles that were demonizing the entire country for it right of the bat, or with the general sentiment that the overall crime rate in Japan was very low.
It's not blind belief to say that someone who is making an argument requires evidence to back it up. It is not unreasonable whatsoever to ask for evidence that something DOES happen, and if there is none then we can easily assume it does NOT happen, or simply requires further research.
The point still stands that these people call others pedophiles and ask them to change their lives over things that they are unable to prove the existence of.

To put it more simply, a common thought experiment for burden of proof is Russel's Teapot, where Russel states that you could not expect to believe him if he simply says that there is a teapot circling between the sun and the earth simply because you could not prove him wrong. Although I personally dislike it's use to disprove the existence of a God, it is a perfect example of requiring proof to back up a claim. Nobody can simply believe pedophilia is on the rise due to anime and manga simply because you tell them that, proof is required, especially if you wish to reform legal and cultural systems over your arguments.
>> No. 33784 [Edit]
File 157544144417.png - (60.37KB , 675x272 , nogami.png )
33784
The attitude people have towards art and society in the west often reminds me of something Takeshi Nogami said after being interviewed by a western reporter.
>> No. 33786 [Edit]
File 157544398068.jpg - (134.65KB , 1300x919 , 305f96e88da174833a26b70f1fecbd90f92e56f81193b5f3cb.jpg )
33786
>>33784
It was a good interview.
>> No. 33787 [Edit]
Hmm, the thread has moved quickly these past few days... I wonder what could be the topic of discussion?
Ah yes, of course.

To be honest, American moralists on Youtube crusades don't bug me that much. I watched some videos by ``Mother's Basement'' last week. I was only mildly irritated when he had his expected bitch about NGNL.
The thing you have to understand about these guys is they're essentially compelled to do a ``think of the children'' bit. Some American Youtuber with 200,000 subscribers uncritically talks about an anime/manga with loli stuff? He'd get mobbed on Twitter or whatever, then goodbye sponsors. Big $$$ at stake in at least paying lip service to moralism.
>> No. 33788 [Edit]
File 157546434388.jpg - (502.02KB , 689x1000 , __darjeeling_and_kay_girls_und_panzer_drawn_by_uon.jpg )
33788
>>33782
>whether a state or country that has no laws against certain fictional should introduce them or not.
They clearly shouldn't. This conversation has always been about people who want this or have this type of mindset. These people are irrational. Their views are not justified by rational thought. There are no facts or room for change in their thinking, if you can call what they do thinking. It's semantics.
>>33784
This is present in westerners even if they aren't religious. I can't stand people who want to spread that religion in Japan.
>>33787
I can kind of see this. I don't know whether these guys have such great acting ability though, or if they would even need to pretend for the sake of money. Even if it's true, I don't want them spreading awareness. If this mindset is going to continue to be prevalent, I don't want people to know about anime or manga or visual novels, any of it. I want the people who think in this way to be as ignorant and oblivious of it as possible.

Post edited on 4th Dec 2019, 5:04am
>> No. 33789 [Edit]
>>33788
>There are no facts or room for change in their thinking, if you can call what they do thinking. It's semantics.

The same could be said of you, there are unreasonable and thoughtless people on both sides and you are being one of them.

>>33783
>To put it more simply, a common thought experiment for burden of proof is Russel's Teapot, where Russel states that you could not expect to believe him if he simply says that there is a teapot circling between the sun and the earth simply because you could not prove him wrong. Although I personally dislike it's use to disprove the existence of a God, it is a perfect example of requiring proof to back up a claim. Nobody can simply believe pedophilia is on the rise due to anime and manga simply because you tell them that, proof is required, especially if you wish to reform legal and cultural systems over your arguments.

That same argument cuts BOTH ways, just as they can't prove that loli causes paedophilia with solid evidence, you can't prove that there is a reasonable enough difference between the two and that there is no possibility that it could cause paedophilia. It's theory vs theory.
>> No. 33790 [Edit]
>>33789
You're tiresome. Your forced, post modern "nothing is correct or wrong and every viewpoint and goal is equally valid no matter what" bs is tiresome. What are you trying to accomplish? What's the conclusion and how does it translate into action? Theory is not the same thing as trying to pass laws, or in any way control other people's actions. If laws "should" be added because of laws that already exist, the original laws should be put into question.
>> No. 33791 [Edit]
>>33790
You are a relativist. I have to say I hate that.
People that can't compromise with anything.
Maybe you're right and it's not a matter of rationality. Maybe it's a matter of believe.
Believe in freedom, individual rights, or the opposite. You couldn't say an stalinist (or fascist or whatever suits you better) doesn't have a rationale for their believes, but I would never say it's the same as anyone else.
Still, I don't think there's too much rationale in moralists since they are mostly installed in fear and hysteria. If there's someone that knows something about japanese culture and makes a critique about it then I could listen, but you can't consider every random rant as respectable; opinions are respectable when they are respectable.
>> No. 33792 [Edit]
>>33791
Oops, this was meant for >>33789
>> No. 33814 [Edit]
Any form of group project. I can't imagine a system more carefully designed precisely to target those who abhor any form of social interaction. And as my luck has it, I'm always left with a group that does jack shit while professors tell you to suck it up and work it out yourselves.

It's hard to believe there are functioning people who don't respond to emails, can never manage to meet on time, etc., yet still managed to get into uni. And then you have the wildcards, people whose behavior leaves you stunned. This time I'm lopped in with an EE PhD from China who brazenly proclaims himself to be a member of the Chinese Communist Party and couldn't be a better archetype of a student spy.
>> No. 33815 [Edit]
>>33814
>EE PhD from China who brazenly proclaims himself to be a member of the Chinese Communist Party and couldn't be a better archetype of a student spy.
Report him to the feds. Make shit up if you have to, just get them looking at him.
>> No. 33816 [Edit]
>>33814
>And as my luck has it, I'm always left with a group that does jack shit while professors tell you to suck it up and work it out yourselves.
This is the teeth-kicker. I don't understand people who go to school but act indifferent and aren't motivated--especially if you're paying for it. The best part is when one group member does close-to-nothing, and you tell the professor that she doesn't deserve credit.
>> No. 33904 [Edit]
bumb test
>> No. 35173 [Edit]
File 15911662804.jpg - (12.85KB , 474x266 , 20200614.jpg )
35173
Summer heat makes me mad.
>> No. 35431 [Edit]
>>35173
So hot & humid here.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Home] [Manage]



[ Rules ] [ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ mai / ot / so / tat ] [ arc / ddl / irc / lol / ns / pic ] [ home ]