Science, technology, fine literature, and the general pursuit of higher learning.

Name
Email
Subject   (new thread)
Message
BB Code
File []
File URL
Embed   Help
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPEG, JPG, PDF, PNG, TXT, WEBM, ZIP
  • Maximum file size allowed is 7000 KB.
  • Images greater than 260x260 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • Currently 715 unique user posts.
  • board catalog

File 131549772812.jpg - (12.54KB , 350x350 , rca_arm[1].jpg )
997 No. 997 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Anyone know a good website for downloading e-books? I have over $1000 worth of books on my Amazon wish list, and that's even after clearing up and finding deals. I already pirate everything else, might as well pirate books too.

ebooksplanet.net legit?
19 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2237 [Edit]
>>2231
Did you use any links from the thread before asking?
>> No. 2240 [Edit]
File PocketRef3rd-Handyman_Comparison.pdf - (154.94KB )

2240
>>2237
Yes, I looked it up on every site >>1030 mentions. In the meantime, I found its summary, I'm posting that besides.
>> No. 2248 [Edit]
File 135051326516.gif - (15.31KB , 100x100 , 1336370832065.gif )
2248
OP here, I noticed this thread was still up and I haven't seen the gentooman library mentioned other than sort of in,
>>1153


It has a large variety of software and math books, although I find their electronics section to be lacking at the moment, with zero content concerning any mechanical subjects. Then again, I don't believe their aim is to target every subject known to man but rather those with /g/ interests.


http://books.gentoomen.org/

It's a fairly large torrent, but I believe its worth the hard drive space. About the size of the KnK movie set.
>> No. 2504 [Edit]
File 136405385560.jpg - (66.80KB , 629x454 , 629_dsc_0356.jpg )
2504
Papers from Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, fro

https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6554331

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:577d58aa66beaceb71518ec417ab3764965024a9&dn=Papers+from+Philosophical+Transactions+of+the+Royal+Society%2C+fro&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbi
ttorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.istole.it%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80

File 135221219224.gif - (29.67KB , 368x347 , Gametheory.gif )
2269 No. 2269 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
General math thread, maybe we can get some cool math guys in here.

Game theory sounds really fun to learn, but I'm wondering how people actually teach this stuff in a rigorous way in a classroom. Ironically I'm reading articles on game theory while completely ignoring the calculus and statistics subjects which will earn me marks.
4 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2434 [Edit]
I calculated it's possible to have eternal life.

Let 'p[k]' mean the probability I survive year 'k'. So the probability I live forever is the infinite product 'p[1]*p[2]*p[3]*...'. Is it possible this product does not converge to 0 (=certain death), despite for each 'k' it holds that 'p[k]<1', meaning there's always a small probability of death?

The above product can be expressed as 'exp(sum(ln(p[k]))', so if i.e. 'ln(p[k]) = -(2^-k)', the sum is convergent with a limit of -1, and the above product converges to '1/e', a positive number.

Post edited on 6th Feb 2013, 12:57pm
>> No. 2436 [Edit]
>>2434
>meaning there's always a small probability of death?
Being struck by lightning, freak accidents, etc. sure,
you forgot the part where when k > 55, p[k] halves every 5 years, with an additional chance to half it's current value each year.
>> No. 2437 [Edit]
>>2434
So what you're saying is that even an immortal can die if it is killed, correct?

The Highlander was correct all along.
>> No. 2439 [Edit]
>>2436
I know, it's just a theoretical possibility. I expected the chances for death "add up", but it turns out, that's not neccessary the case.
>>2437
No, the my argument is that you can be mortal and still live forever.

File 134978258583.png - (50.52KB , 318x459 , hwr.png )
2232 No. 2232 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I'm going to try to learn to write kanji and kana, just because I never really did this.

Even when I was learning Japanese, I never really tackled this aspect of it, so I want some advice. Anyone here try to learn the handwritten forms and stroke order? I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has. Thanks~
3 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2236 [Edit]
I use obenkyo and practice the stroke order whenever I get a new kanji, but to be honest it doesn't really help me remember it better at all.

If you are just gonna read, I'd skip doing that after you have learned how to write most radicals, only just to be able to use a kanji recognizer in case you see one you don't know.
>> No. 2244 [Edit]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27y%C5%8Dgana

Maybe you like this
>> No. 2375 [Edit]
>>2232
I sit down with a kanji book and write it down in the correct stroke order, write out all the readings with on in katakana and kun in hiragana, and then write out the older/alternate form of the character, if provided.
It requires repetition, but I essentially remember all the characters I learn like this perfectly.
>> No. 2376 [Edit]
You get the hang of it after you memorise a few characters. Also know that certain characters potentially have multiple stroke orders.

File 130729785289.jpg - (4.38MB , 3872x2592 , another_sword_fighting_poses_by_lotrwofr.jpg )
698 No. 698 hide watch quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Hello everyone.
Recently I pulled out a pair of swords that have been floating around and I've decided that over the summer I would like to try to learn sword fighting, Im just starting so I dont really know what Im doing, if anyone has any tutorials or videos on sword fighting an they'd like to share, or if any people who know how to sword fight would like to share experiences, that would be really great, thank you.
>> No. 699 [Edit]
In all honesty, you'll probably need an instructor.
>> No. 726 [Edit]
>>699
Ok then, I'll check for classes.
Thanks
>> No. 755 [Edit]
If you don't want to pay for actual classes, LARPing, like amtgard, dagorhir or sca is the next best thing. and pretty much free. I do dagorhir myself and it's a good mix of realism and safety. It can at least hone your 'battle sense'.
>> No. 2190 [Edit]
What style are you trying to do?

File 13288844359.jpg - (76.43KB , 700x296 , 4.jpg )
1586 No. 1586 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I've been hearing a lot of ads lately for gold sales. Apparently a lot of people see buying gold as a good hedge against inflation, or even against a possible hyperinflation. Ron Paul is advocating a return to the gold standard, and lots of his supporters seem to believe the paper dollar is doomed. Most of these people probably also have a stash of silver and gold coins under their mattresses.

Are the doomsayers right? Do you think the US dollar will collapse? And if it does, will silver or gold even be useful to people if Americans are forced into a barter economy, and only immediately useful goods and services will matter?
28 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 2101 [Edit]
File 13418003086.jpg - (204.32KB , 587x585 , g2640.jpg )
2101
Unnecessary and unwanted update!

I just got a few of these imperial German silver marks. These things are great. They have both a high silver content and historical value, but they're not that expensive - I got mine for just a couple of dollars above their silver values, and they're barely worn at all. For coins over a hundred years old, I expected to pay a lot more for such well-preserved pieces.

Just a heads up if you're interested in collecting coins or silver, these seem to be a really great deal. They also look cool. I like the old-school German coat of arms.
>> No. 2102 [Edit]
>>2101
That's gorgeous. One of the appealing things about bullion is that you have a lot of interesting choices.
>> No. 2104 [Edit]
>>2102
That's true. I also found nice silver coins from Venezuela, Austria, France, etc. There's a huge variety.

One thing I'd warn against is buying on eBay. If you want to get small or modern coins there, you're probably safe. But the older and larger coins like the old German silver 2, 3 or 5 mark coins go for outrageous prices. The same one I got for 10 and a half is selling for 30 dollars plus on eBay. Even worse, a lot of those coins are probably counterfeits. If you go in for these coins, I'd say buy directly from a trusted and well-known dealer.
>> No. 2160 [Edit]
>>2159
Hey, these are WWI German coins, not Nazi coins.

File 130998746151.jpg - (52.42KB , 197x205 , 1308847779577.jpg )
798 No. 798 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit] [Last 50 posts]
I'm interested in what you're interested in. Tell me about your academic pursuits and areas of interest. I want to know what you guys are learning about right now and would like to learn about in the future. Maybe we can help each other learn.

Right now I'm wrapping up my interest in Rome. I ended up learning about it backwards, I started with the Eastern Half (Byzantine), The Classic Empire, and now the Republic and earlier. In one form or another, Roman Civilization existed for 2,214 years. Pretty interesting stuff.
48 posts and 7 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1984 [Edit]
>>1956
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W_p_gn8pjY&feature=relmfu

A video containing my favorite Marchesa dresses.I like the butterfly one the best.
>> No. 1995 [Edit]
I'm primarily interested in literature, philosophy, and religion. I enjoy reading and thinking about things. However, my future course is blank. I just want to read and talk about interesting things.
>> No. 2004 [Edit]
>>1979
A list of feminine perfumes for anyone who wants to be a trap:
>mitsouko,Shalimar,cuir de Russie,Chanel No.5, and Jicky
>> No. 2021 [Edit]
http://www.elainehatfield.com/79.pdf

A paper on male/female differences in offers of sex.

Robots will rewrite society.

File 132905121346.png - (41.48KB , 833x597 , 0.png )
1617 No. 1617 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Please don't mind me a little dump...
will just leave this here and I'll be done.

Good luck to you all and see you guys around.
25 posts and 11 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1737 [Edit]
>>1729
Me gustaría leer tu papel Kabbalah. I have a Cuban friend who might be able to help translate it.
>> No. 1738 [Edit]
>>1737
There you go: >>/ddl/62

Post edited on 19th Mar 2012, 8:58pm
>> No. 2005 [Edit]
OK, I didn't really work that much on the phrasing. I just tried to eradicate the LOTS of typos, complemented one aphorism and added one little sentence at the last scolium:

Mathematics are the world of (theorems’) demonstration. Logic is the world of (theories’) formalization.
. . .
One is functionally one, merely as long as one takes and accepts as its own everyone else one has been.


However, here is the current version, english and vernacular, together with the corrected PNGs:

>>/ddl/68
>> No. 2887 [Edit]
5 years later, I'm done with this. Added lots, changed the ending.

It's still vernacular but will leave it here all the same:
http://pastebin.com/j7J6kaKq
Might translate it later.

File 133812787957.jpg - (15.63KB , 326x400 , jd salinger.jpg )
1985 No. 1985 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Only 2 years after his Catcher in the Rye was published, he secluded himself from society. He remained a recluse until the day he died. Catcher in the Rye is my personal favorite book, and the fact that he wasn't a damn normal makes me admire him more. I can relate to him both as being an anti-social and as a fellow writer. J.D. Salinger is certainly no phony. So what are your thoughts of him?
9 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1996 [Edit]
>>1994

Being and Nothingness might not be a good one to start with. It's a very deep essay on existentialism, and checks in at somewhere around 700 pages. I'd read it after you've finished with his earlier stuff, since his ideas evolved quite a bit (and, sadly, got tainted with politics near the end).

If you've never read any of his work, I'd start with his early novels. "Nausea" - his first - is probably the best starting point, then you can go from there. No Exit, The Wall, Existentialism is a Humanism..then tackle the rest of his stuff.
>> No. 1997 [Edit]
>>1996
I'll grab those, thanks for the recommendations
>> No. 1999 [Edit]
>>1997

I hope you like them! Sartre really changed the way I view life.
>> No. 2000 [Edit]
>>1999
In what ways? I'm not really familiar with him, but it's interesting to hear that books can be life-influencing... they must have a lot of great ideas in them.

File 133468697359.jpg - (70.70KB , 466x520 , 6051e06d4a40f46e06010c24b7844858.jpg )
1841 No. 1841 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Is there reason why Americans use Fahrenheit as temperature scale? I am European and here I hear a lot "stupid americans are still using fahrenheits". I want to hear your opinion, is there any valid reason to use Fahrenheit scale instead of Celcius/Kelvin?
31 posts and 3 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1942 [Edit]
The biggest reason to use F over C is the smaller interval, and as the feeling of changing one degree is much smaller in F than C, and therefore there generally isn't a reason outside of scientific sort of measurements to use a decimal point with the system. two numbers to read is faster than three when the question of is it nice out or slightly chilly.

Though for all scientific purposes, there is no difference between any of the systems. You don't use F or C in the ideal gas law, only R and K, and any difference in one gets passed on with a different value for the constant or conversion factor, and the calculator is the one actually doing the math, and while the bigger number is larger the smaller number has decimals following it so it's the same number of key presses into the calc in the end.

In terms of temperature, there really isn't a strong reason outside of "I learned it this way and am too damn lazy to learn YOUR way because it's different from mine" between imperial and metric. Now, doing physics and dealing with the G-constant, lb force and lb weight, and kips..... yes, there is a valid argument as to why the metric system is more practical and overall an improvement, but with temperature you won't find any meaningful testimony.
>> No. 1943 [Edit]
I've never heard of the Rankine system, just the Kelvin system is generally used. I guess maybe if you're a grad student or a PhD or something, some equations do require Rankine
>> No. 1944 [Edit]
>>1942
I've had course called "Household heating systems" or something like that in my school and in course material said that if temperature changes more than one Celsius in short period, human can feel it (I can't show it because it isn't in English. I didn't find any results in English about this.). If we believe that, we can say interval of Celsius is enough in daily uses.

You are also ignoring the water argument which gives Celsius scale connection to SI-system is which is based on water. Water is part of our daily lives and that's why I think Celsius scale is definitely better in daily uses.
>> No. 1948 [Edit]
>>1944
Your first example is used to illustrate how a small temperature change over a short period of time is noticeable to humans, whereas that same arbitrary small temperature change over an equally arbitrary long period of time is not noticeable. That is, it is not so much the temperature change itself that matters, but the rate at which the temperature changes.

The second point, is false. Water itself is a very vague term, especially in the way you use and idolize it. The average temperature in the South Pole is below 0 C, and yet there's enough water to sail a ship through. You can also boil water at room temperature and a low pressure. While the S.I. system as a whole is much easier to relate units BECAUSE all of the major measurements were all based on the same arbitrarily sized cube of deionized, pure water at sea level, the reasons for it being better overall have absolutely nothing to do with the choice of the arbitrarily sized substance being water.

File 13350634746.jpg - (65.67KB , 500x551 , chinese-story.jpg )
1888 No. 1888 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
Any are valid

Here's one I was considering; Chinese, being a tonal language, depends on the intonation of a sound to mean a certain idea, word, or character, based on which one of the five tones it is pronounced with.

For instance, the phrase
你敢罵我媽的馬嗎?
Nǐ gǎn mà Wǒ mā de mǎ ma?
Meaning, "You dare scold my mom's horse?"

The tonation of the words can change the meaning greatly.

你敢罵
Nǐ gǎn mà
You dare scold

Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
2 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1911 [Edit]
>>1888
They understand it from the context.

A lot of chinese readers can still guess the meaning of a symbol they don't recognise via the context. So the funny thing is they end up understanding the meaning of a character but don't know how to pronounce it. Thats one of the retarded things about this language.
>> No. 1917 [Edit]
>>1911
You can't sing hanzhi though.
>> No. 1921 [Edit]
>This said, and this known, in Chinese songs, how does anyone know what the fuck anyone is saying? You can't sing in intonations. Does anyone listen to the March of the Volunteers and scream "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY MOTHER, MAO?!"

Apparently this is why they always have subtitles in their music videos.
>> No. 1927 [Edit]
http://goo.gl/F2Zms

Since Chrome is not welcomed in the appropriate thread, please pardon my intrusion. This is for Language Immersion, an addon that randomly swaps out some text on a web page with the language you want to learn (no Japanese yet). A work in progress but still very useful. You have three levels to choose from: novice, intermediate, and fluent.

File 133435403162.jpg - (9.06KB , 219x208 , 1334333495714.jpg )
1820 No. 1820 hide watch expand quickreply [Reply] [Edit]
I'm all ears.
8 posts and 1 image omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No. 1840 [Edit]
File 133467299368.jpg - (2.22KB , 202x61 , zeros.jpg )
1840
Zero power zero is equal to zero divived by zero. Which can't be determined.
>> No. 1857 [Edit]
File 133472667459.png - (2.34KB , 170x150 , proof.png )
1857
>>1840
Exactly. And that, as well, is the reason why a^0=1 for every non-zero real number a: because you NEED to divide by a, in the proof for real numbers' Calculus.

On set theory, 0^0 it's the number of functions from Ø (the empty set) on itself; wich, whatever wiki says (in this case), it's also undefined. It could be 1 indeed, if you take the one and only empty function identical to Ø, because Ø is a subset of each and every set (wich includes the set equal to the class of functions of any set); but it could also be infinite (or "indetermined"), since you cannot proove ANY relation between ANY sets NOT being a function on and from Ø, without coming to a contradiction with Ø's emptiness; that is: any random relation MUST be a function from Ø on Ø, because you cannot show any especific element from Ø intersected with domain of the relation -wich are none- that is NOT related with one and only one element at the -equally empty- image; in other words: it IS a function, simply because you cannot show the element that would disprove it as such. That sort of proof, on wich you do not show the propper deduction, but argument instead the inexistence of a case that contradicts your (universal) proposition, it's called Vacuous Truth ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuous_truth )...

Neddles to say, this whole affair is very counter-intuitive. As said, it depends on the fact that we aknowledge that exponentiation on real numbers does NOT mean the same than in natural numbers (multipliying several times, wich is -allegedly- merely adding several times), but something entirely new. However, if we decide to go with the convention of 0^0=1, under some alleged convenience, this would still makes us face a serious ontological question:

How is it possible that starting with nothing and operating with it, 0 times, suddenly gives us something?...
Message too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No. 1861 [Edit]
>>1840
lim of a/a as a->0

from both the positive and negative side, approach and converge to 1.
and l'hopital on it when you place 0 directly gives 1/1 as well

>>1857
>How is it possible that we can obtain something from nothing, by doing nothing?...

If we take any non zero number and put it to the 0th power, we are infact doing something to that number.
why does this change when the number is 0?
Or does it stem from the argument 0 isn't an actual number, in a similar way to infinity?
>> No. 1867 [Edit]
File 133479254683.gif - (7.39KB , 301x289 , thinker.gif )
1867
>>1861
>If we take any non zero number and put it to the 0th power, we are infact doing something to that number. why does this change when the number is 0?
Because philosophy...

I was mostly trying to problematize the concept of Empty Product, as an example of considering actions taking place over non-existing things as valid, to see if it could give us a hint about the problem of creation ex nihilo; namely, if such a thing is really possible/attainable for us, either conceptually or physically, or every act of -human- creation it's condemned to be inevitably unveiled as the mere application a trope or the office of a caftsman (check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techne ), rendering us all as poor excuses for demiurges and not true creators.

View catalog

Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]


[Home] [Manage]



[ an / foe / ma / mp3 / vg / vn ] [ cr / fig / navi ] [ $ / mai / mt / ot / so / tat / txt / 日本 ] [ arc / ddl / fb / irc / lh / lol / ns / pic / sub ] [ home ]